Does Amy really work as a companion ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Her character does not seem to have the impact of previous assistants. Maybe she's too independent to be attached to a time-traveller.

Comments

• sandy4268sandy4268 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Works for me.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    well for me, she is certainly the weakest of all the new-who companions.
    i cant help thinking that Rory was taken onboard aswell, purely because Amy just wasnt holding up on her own.
    shes OK, i like her as a companion, but shes not even in the same league as Donna Noble, for example.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure what you mean by "impact" but i would argue that Amy/Karen have had a bigger impact in the media than any of the nu who companions bar Rose/Billie. I also think Amy is actually very popular with the wider audience, and rather more popular within fandom than her detractors would like to think.

I think she was pretty good myself, i enjoyed her story arc and admire the way Karen and The Moff have clearly played the long game with her characterisation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I must admit I didn't warm to her at the start, but as the series went on, and once I had re-watched, I've really grown to love her.

Donna is still my favourite companion of new who.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Matt Smith is a great Doctor and I like the character of Rory. I like Karen Gillan - she's nice looking and looks and sounds fun to be around with - but the character Amy leaves me cold.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think she's the best companion of the new Who era (Donna being my previous favourite). There's been a couple of times her shoutiness has grated on me, but overall I've found her to have the best chemistry with the Doctor of everyone.

What's even better is that Rory also seems to have a great chemistry with her and with the Doctor. All three together make a great, crackling little team and I hope they continue together for at least a couple more years.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    For me, Amy was particularly strong in "A Christmas Carol", despite the brevity of her appearances.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My least favourite companion so far in New Who, her reactions to being a companion don't seem 'real' enough to me somehow.

I just can't seem to warm to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    I think Matt Smith is a great Doctor and I like the character of Rory. I like Karen Gillan - she's nice looking and looks and sounds fun to be around with - but the character Amy leaves me cold.
    WelshNige wrote: »
    My least favourite companion so far in New Who, her reactions to being a companion don't seem 'real' enough to me somehow.

I just can't seem to warm to her.

QFT - at least for me. I think she looks great but as a companion, she's simply not my cup of tea. Mind you, I wasn't a big Rose fan either, ... :rolleyes:
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Her character is difficult to like and she sometimes irritated me but by the end of her first series I thought she was second only to Donna as a 'nu-Who' companion.

I also believe that Karen Gillan is a fantastic actress, whether people like her character or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her character is difficult to like and she sometimes irritated me but by the end of her first series I thought she was second only to Donna as a 'nu-Who' companion. .

i actually think you put this well, here. Amy is a challenge because she is supposed to be one. That's what I mean when i talk about the long game.

Plus i think some of her rough edges were sanded down by the events of The Big Bang, as her interactions with Rory and her happiness about her wedding indicated. Still think we have a lot to learn about Pond in series 6 as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By FAR my favourite companion of new who, second only to ace overall and not by much. Feels like a real person, flaws and all, capable without being a Mary Sue and just plain fun. Plus her story is actualy well thought through and tied to the episodes and arc plot, always a good thing.

As for Karen, god I'm impressed. She's done a superb job and continues to impress every time she's on screen. Her chemistry with matt is incredible but she seems to work well with everyone and is almost always doing something interesting even when just walking in the background. Hope she's around for a long time to come. And one other thing, her enthusiasm for the show is a joy to behold, her and matt are doing an incredible amount of work to promote it and I have yet to hear a bad word about either of em on that side. What more could we ask from the lead actors of this crazy little British scifi show?
  • Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I don't particularly like either of them.

Amy seems to spend most of an episode bellowing "DUCTUR!!" whereas soppy spends most of the episode whining if anyone even looks at her. Come's across as far too dense.

River Song's been great, all the way back to her first appearance in Silence in the Library - credit to Alex Kingston, she would have made a great full time companion.

Apart from that, mainly enjoying the Moffat-era so far. :cool:
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she rates high as a companion, but unlike many on here, I think Rory is superfluous. It seems that his presence dilutes the interaction between Amy and the Doc. Oddly enough, it may even have been a better character if there were no Amy.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »
    I think she rates high as a companion, but unlike many on here, I think Rory is superfluous. It seems that his presence dilutes the interaction between Amy and the Doc. Oddly enough, it may even have been a better character if there were no Amy.

:cry::cry::cry:.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I dunno -- she is often rude. She told the captain of that crashing spaceship to shut up! Then she tells Rory to shut up -- and she treats him like an idiot. . .

Hard to like her, and I LOVED Amelia. :(
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a bloody sight better than any previous companion since the revival-probably my favourite since Romana II, in fact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy is a class act! Karen really brings an energy to her role with the character. LOVED her arc in series 5 and she's continuing to grow also.

While i love DOnna Noble, Amy is BY FAR! my favourite companion of the revived series, if EVER.

also really love Rory and cheered that he was in the main credits of Christmas Carol, and Alex Kingston is absolutely electric as River Song. I think this is the best lineup of actors/characters the show has had!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I don't love her and I couldn't help but feel that the reason I enjoyed 'A Christmas Carol' so much more than I did any of series 5, was because she wasn't in it as much. Personally I don't really think Amy and the doctor really work together, but that's just my view and I know a lot of people would disagree.

I don't mind her too much though, definitely don't hate her and think she's improving and much much prefer her with Rory, so hopes up for series 6!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her, but can only really compare her to Rose, who rather annoyed me, and ,rather briefly, Martha who I quite liked. I don't really know much about Donna (I stopped watching because of I didn't like Tennant's Doctor), but from what I've seen she seemed fun:) I think Amy is really good, and I love Rory, and I think that the actors all seem to have chemistry:) I don't like the way she sometimes seems to brush of Rory in favour of the Doctor though:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really love Amy, after Donna and Jack she is a fave of mine.....loved her kookiness from the start. I only felt irratated by her once, in Cold Blood, when she was showing a bit of attitude to Rory after he saw her well and alive on the screen....I think it felt too much of a "must show Amy as a character that tries to not show her feelings too much", but came off as irratating than a normal character trait....a forced moment to put in better words...but yes I do love her otherwise...

and I absolutly adore Rory...and River...in fact the three of them with Matt is just a brilliant combination....
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Amy and I can't really understand why she divides opinion as much as she does. Most of the criticisms I have read of her centre around her being smug, selfish and pouting. Take it as you find, of course, but I have never thought that. One person's smug is another's self-assured, I suppose. Selfish? Not that I can recall. No more than anyone else anyway. She does pout from time to time, though. How many girls do you know who don't? It is a very common mannerism among young females and not necessarily a bad thing at all.

She is an interesting character. There seems to be a general view that we do not yet know all that there is to know about her, and I would go along with that. She is three-dimensional in that she does have her faults, but that makes her more human. I wonder how many of her detractors criticise her for not being perfect. How perfect is any of us?

I also think Karen Gillan was the perfect choice to play the character, for she has given her real depth. I will keep the Van Gogh episode on my hard disc player for a long time just so that I can watch the compassion she displays for the tortured artist. It was beautiful.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Yes..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smug, selfish and pouting.

That sounds like series 2 Rose to me....;)
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I really like Amy and think she's a really good companion, I think it's good that she's feisty and has a mind of her own. She's up there with Rose as my favourite New Who companions.