Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 6)

Comments

• far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Those PC world adverts always seem as if they are selling to people who have no idea what a computer is...
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Late night recently I saw one of the most rubbish ads of all time - Advanced Hair Studio, which takes up the entire ad break and has been going on for years. Although it's terrible it does ultimately command some level of respect for the hilariously all-encompassing level of tackiness that it displays.

It's been on TV for ages and yet they seem to keep sprucing it up with new bits that just make it worse. It's packed full of cricketers - are they balder than everyone else? Then there's the winner of 'Fox FM's Perfect Man competition'. First of all, where is Fox FM - I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else - and why did they have a Perfect Man competition? What were the criteria to win? And the competition must have been ages ago. Also, someone shoudl point out that a 'Perfect Man' probably would have just accepted that he'd gone bald and lived with it rather than forking out for hair replacement treatment (at least he's honest about it though, so maybe that counted in his favour).

I like to imagine someone phoning up Advanced Hair Studio and asking for "the Pharoah look" - just like in their logo.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The Vernon Kay and his mother is back in full, they had cut the "I'm 36 with 2 kids, you're still my baby" but have now put it back in.

Is she still looking after his 'lickle ticker.' :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I see that one of my most irritating ads has been resurrected, i.e. the Bisto one with all those sad people banging on about "ahh night" - I know it's meant to be a play on words relating to the "Aah! Bisto" slogan but the word OUR is not pronounced AAH, or worse still ARE!! Call me a pedant if you like but this is a pet hate of mine. Not only that, the emphasis on families getting together to eat "proper" food, is a double irritant, as though single people don't cook from scratch or use their products to make gravy too. :mad:

Good choice...I also hate how the ad makes a point of banging on about "propaaah gravy", when in reality, if people wanted proper gravy they would be making their own from the meat juices, not using sodding Bisto granules!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she still looking after his 'lickle ticker.' :p

Yes, I hate that ad
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,621
    Forum Member
    The worst kind of advert is the one I call the 'Cheap-Slot Filler' that cost pennies to put on the air due to a lack of an audience for most channels outside prime-time. Ads such as the follow:-

Hey you, this is an important message about PPI. Did you ask for it?, Did You Need it? well tough cause the bank manager probably told you about it and you thought it was insurance so you just said yes - Now a couple of people get lucky why don't you join the bandwagon and claim it back, at no cost to you (except a massive agency fee and the fact this kind of thing will lead to the banks charge fees for all bank accounts in the near future).

You can also add in all the short-term loan companies and that Ramdens gold shop.

Speaking of Gold what happened to all those 'Buy-My-Old-Gold' ads that were all over the Cheap Ad Slots back in late 2007 and through 2008?

When this was first being offered, the hard sell was mindbogglingly relentless. I phoned up to enquire about a loan, and about an hour later put the phone down thoroughly frazzled - without finding out anything about the actual loan, all I got was how important it was to take out PPI. Customer service just wouldn't take no for an answer,
    I expect this was the way they drew so many in, and even though they now have to pay it back, lots of interest must have been made on these PPI payments in the meantime.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I've said it once but I have to say it again...

I want to viciously murder, slowly and painfully the cast, crew, ad agency and head of IKEA UK for the "#...oh you'll always find him in the kitchen at parties...#" commerical

KILLLLLLLLLLLL THEMMMMM AAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pnp63 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been said and not a advert as such, but it confused me earlier when round my brothers, his wife had deal on and before it started the bit of film thet showed was someone in a boat who brought what seem to be people who were stiff and stood them on what looked like a jetty while a guy was fishing, the tag was 4 on demand, eh? what? :confused:

I believe it's an ad for a "channel 4 on demand" (you know, channel 4's version of the BBC iPlayer, where you can go online and watch shows that you've missed) service that you can download to your smart phone (I think, I don't have a smart phone myself), so in effect, you can watch a previously aired channel 4 show, wherever you are, you don't have to be in front of your pc. This is depicted by the cast of various Ch 4 shows (I've seen Hollyoaks, and Peter Snow from the News) being brought to people in various out of the way locations.

Hope that makes sense!

xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw an ad for Quick Quid (excessively high interest short term loan company) today, and realised how nauseating it was.

The woman on the ad realised her wages just weren't going to stretch to paying all her bills this month, so she would have to get a loan from Quick Quid.

In reality, wouldn't you be really upset/glum/annoyed/stressed about this happening? But in the ad (yes, I KNOW it's not real life!!) she was smiling away, really happy to have to get a loan and then pay through the nose for it, it was almost as if she was thinking "YIPPEEEE! I've got an excuse to get a Quick Quid loan now!!"

Stupid Advert! Mind you, it still doesn't beat the other loan company ad - Wonga.com, with those totally stabbable old people puppets and their "sli-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-iders".

xx
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Sliders !!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will always find him in the kitchen at partieeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! :yawn: :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    There were some Hollyoaks characters in that advert but I don't know what it's all about

Thanks tinkie,

Well I have never watched hollyoaks, so wouldn't have known that, still, makes two of us none the wiser;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pnp63 wrote: »
    Thanks tinkie,

Well I have never watched hollyoaks, so wouldn't have known that, still, makes two of us none the wiser;)

I've tried to explain ^^ in post 3159 ;)

xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I'm-a-pain wrote: »
    I believe it's an ad for a "channel 4 on demand" (you know, channel 4's version of the BBC iPlayer, where you can go online and watch shows that you've missed) service that you can download to your smart phone (I think, I don't have a smart phone myself), so in effect, you can watch a previously aired channel 4 show, wherever you are, you don't have to be in front of your pc. This is depicted by the cast of various Ch 4 shows (I've seen Hollyoaks, and Peter Snow from the News) being brought to people in various out of the way locations.

Hope that makes sense!

xx
    Thank you, made a little more sense I suppose, I have used 4 on demand before now for a couple of programmes in the past, not on my smartphone I hasten to add, I never have stiff people brought to me though on any of those occasions, that's the bit I don't get.

Cheers xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    The silly one with dazy music with a washing machine on a balloon floating around... and you don't even know what it's trying to advertise. Pointless. :mad:

As someone mentioned, I wonder where the PostalGold 'Forehead' guy has disappeared? Where his hair mysteriously slides up and down as he speaks? :eek:

(And why doesn't anyone ever quote my posts? Am I in your ignore lists or what?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvbox wrote: »

(And why doesn't anyone ever quote my posts? Am I in your ignore lists or what?)

Haha, I often think this, that nobody bothers to read my posts, but lo and behold I have been quoted mere minutes ago!! :D

xx
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Jenny Craig advert with Mel B goes through me, do Americans really like her? She's an odd choice.

I was going to mention that one. There is something about that ad that doesn't seem quite right, either it was originaly an american advert or it was made in america for here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a rider on that Jenny Craig advert, and the one Pauline Quirke does for Lighter Life, that it'll cost you a bl**dy fortune to follow those 'plans'!!

xx
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarot wrote: »
    I agree, Prince Harry looks nothing like Richard Branson.
    I'm-a-pain wrote: »
    There should be a rider on that Jenny Craig advert, and the one Pauline Quirke does for Lighter Life, that it'll cost you a bl**dy fortune to follow those 'plans'!!

xx

And in the case of Lighter Life, that it's not a sustainable weight loss method - as soon as you stop drinking those milkshakes and start eating real food, the weight will pile back on in no time because you were taking in too few calories on the "plan" and now your metabolism is shot to pieces!
  • radiofreeradiofree Posts: 7,316
    Forum Member
    dolmio ad with the thunderbirds-ish puppets speaking in those insanely bad italian accents.
    o mumma, so whensa youra dola-mio daya?
    never heard a worse accent ever in my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiofree wrote: »
    dolmio ad with the thunderbirds-ish puppets speaking in those insanely bad italian accents.
    o mumma, so whensa youra dola-mio daya?
    never heard a worse accent ever in my life.

I'd prefer it if they were Thunderbirds-ish - it's their 'sponginess' (is that even a word, lol?), as with the 'sl-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ders' puppets that sends shivers up my spine!

xx
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    ~Eyesonme~ wrote: »
    Good choice...I also hate how the ad makes a point of banging on about "propaaah gravy", when in reality, if people wanted proper gravy they would be making their own from the meat juices, not using sodding Bisto granules!!

Exactly!! Pisses me off :mad::rolleyes:
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ever happened to memorable 'jingles' like Beanz Meanz Heinz, The Cadbury Songs (for Fudge, Flake) Mars-a-day or Mash Get Smash.

There haven't been any (long last or memorable ones) in the last 20 years. The closest we've got is the intel tune.

I refuse to count the Go Compare song,Confused.com or We Buy Any Car on 2 ground, firstly they are more short songs rather than jingles & secondly they are pure rubbish that fail to lodge in the memory as a fun little tune, thus a positive association with the brand, but more an overplayed, overheard annoyance leaving us with a negative association with the brand.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought too :confused: My only thoughts is they couldnt get the rights to something like Super Mario Bros. on the NES for 1985 but who was playing Pong in 1985 FFS? It came out in the early 70's! :eek:
    When I was 13 in 1995 I never saw anybody walking down the street with a "boombox" like that :confused:

As child of the 80s in 1985 I was playing my Amstrad CPC 464, Some of my mates had ZX Spectrums and Commodore 64's
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    pinky2006 wrote: »
    The Prime Location advert with the dopey woman who has decorated her house yellow. She needs a good punch in the face :mad:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I don't mind the new DFS advert. I think the song is catchy and I like the boxer. But I like any adverts with dogs in :o:D

lol yeah i would never buy a house off that creepy bint, yellow sellow, id smack her one and shove the daffs up her behind
This discussion has been closed.