Sony crt tv switching itself to standby

hello
got an 8 year old 36" Sony tv. It's crt (so old school) but has been excellent until recently.
Basically it has started switching itself randomly to standby - often several times an hour, then it's fine again for a few weeks.
Is this terminal or is it worth seeking a repair? I've started looking to replace it but would like to know if this is a common fault with a 'quick' fix.
Any comments gratefully received.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Most likely just a dry joint, but it's a question of finding it - and as the set is completely worthless (I wouldn't even take it away unless you paid me a LOT of money if it was fully working) it's not worth the effort. If you really like such a heavy monster there are loads of them in perfect condition going in landfill every day.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be many things but unless you know of a good repair man who is prepared to come to your home and that will be a very rare man indeed ! the TV is scrap BUT your next problem is moving it to the tip because of its weight . Might be better to get your replacement TV from a dealer who will take the old one away for recycling ( which is green speak for scrap )

weren't Sony themselves doing a "trade in" promotion a while back ? Is that still running ?
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »

weren't Sony themselves doing a "trade in" promotion a while back ? Is that still running ?
    Don`t think it is,mind you 18 months ago I got £200 off a 46" telly by trading in a portable I nicked from the tip :D
  • gillhammergillhammer Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies - I'd already realised that scrapping would be an issue. The set weighs 13 stone (we had to get a neighbour in to help lift it onto the stand when we first bought it!)

Only John Lewis seem to offer a pick up service at the moment, but I'll do some more checking today.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillhammer wrote: »

Only John Lewis seem to offer a pick up service at the moment, but I'll do some more checking today.

Look around. Many retailers including Currys offer the service
    "We can collect and recycle your old TV (when you buy a TV of 40” or above) or large domestic appliance for free when you have your new product delivered"
    From: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/Recycle-1042-theme.html

However, my preference when buying a new TV would be John Lewis if only for the free 5 year guarantee
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some local authorities will also collect old CRT's for free.