Options

Is Steven Moffatt confusing The Doctor and Sherlock characters .

Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This would explain the change in the Doctor's character

OR

Is he preparing us for the final Dr Who - no 12 and the total end of the series.

Here is an interview last year some nuggets of Steven Moffat's thinking.

http://io9.com/could-peter-capaldi-really-be-the-final-face-of-doctor-1185468579

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No he's just took The Doctor back to what he should be it's no real change at all if anything 10-11 were the change.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he's just took The Doctor back to what he should be it's no real change at all if anything 10-11 were the change.

Yes PC is so like the dotty Patrick Troughton, funny Tom Baker, personable Peter Davison and dashing Paul McGann.

Even the ones who might be slightly similar such as Hartnell and Pertwee were actually quite avuncular.

As for Colin Baker, he went more for unhinged and then mellowing.

So fair enough, PC can do his own thing but lets not pretend it is rooted in the Dark Doctors of the past which are largely a figment of the collective imagination. The whole point about Tom Baker's era was that the Hammer horror edge was undercut by the Doctor. Black on black doesn't suit so much.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    FFS - the BIG PRINT title of that article is...

Could Peter Capaldi really be the final face of Doctor Who?

.and the very first line of the article (which is from August 2013) is...

"Of course not"

A prime example of the Daily Mail school of journalism - always hide your ignorant drivel behind a question rather than having the balls to spout your garbage outright and face the criticism you deserve.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    bokonon wrote: »
    Yes PC is so like the dotty Patrick Troughton, funny Tom Baker, personable Peter Davison and dashing Paul McGann.

Even the ones who might be slightly similar such as Hartnell and Pertwee were actually quite avuncular.

As for Colin Baker, he went more for unhinged and then mellowing.

So fair enough, PC can do his own thing but lets not pretend it is rooted in the Dark Doctors of the past which are largely a figment of the collective imagination. The whole point about Tom Baker's era was that the Hammer horror edge was undercut by the Doctor. Black on black doesn't suit so much.

Who said he was dark or any of them?

It's just that they have gone back to his more get on with the job nature and not let every death get to him.

People seem to think just because he's not crying over every death that's he's gone bad when in the past The Doctor never let each death bother him but rather got on with the mission which is what he's doing now and on occasion was even willing to make sacrifices if it meant more stopping people dying and he knew he really couldn't do anything anyway
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »

Is he preparing us for the final Dr Who - no 12 and the total end of the series.

Bit pointless giving the Doctor a whole new set of regenerations then if that is the case.

As to the Doctor and Sherlock they've always been similar.

They even gave Tom baker a deerstalker hat when the 4th Doctor was in Victorian London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS - the BIG PRINT title of that article is...

Could Peter Capaldi really be the final face of Doctor Who?

.and the very first line of the article (which is from August 2013) is...

"Of course not"

A prime example of the Daily Mail school of journalism - always hide your ignorant drivel behind a question rather than having the balls to spout your garbage outright and face the criticism you deserve.

My point is if you would had read the article in which Steven Moffatt in answer to questions states that the doctor can ONLY regenerate 12 times.

Considering Moffatt writes the script , I think his opinion is of more value than the author of the piece .

Its a pity you didn't check this fact before your post.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said he was dark or any of them?

It's just that they have gone back to his more get on with the job nature and not let every death get to him.

People seem to think just because he's not crying over every death that's he's gone bad when in the past The Doctor never let each death bother him but rather got on with the mission which is what he's doing now and on occasion was even willing to make sacrifices if it meant more stopping people dying and he knew he really couldn't do anything anyway

OK, your talking about how the plot functions, I was talking more about the characterisation. Given that the question was about SM's approach you may be rather more on topic than I am. But the point remains that the uniform dourness has fewer Who precedents than the quicksilver mood changes of DT and MS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The so-called 11th Doctor HAD regenerated 12 times - 11 numbered incarnations plus the "War Doctor" plus once without changing to a new face = 13 "Doctors" - the original plus 12 regenerations.

That article is outdated and irrelevant on that point and any conclusions drawn from that source material are equally out of touch.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OR

http://io9.com/could-peter-capaldi-really-be-the-final-face-of-doctor-1185468579

No, he hasn't confused the two characters, and no, he isn't preparing us for the final Dr Who.

Instead, Moffat has given us a naunced and multi-layered characterisation and has cast possibly the best actor ever to play the Doctor. He's also clearly worked on some of the major flaws of his previous Doctor Who series - poor characterisation and shallow dialogue - and has come up with a sharper, mature, more dramatically and emotionally satisfying new series.

All good, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    No, he hasn't confused the two characters, and no, he isn't preparing us for the final Dr Who.

Instead, Moffat has given us a naunced and multi-layered characterisation and has cast possibly the best actor ever to play the Doctor. He's also clearly worked on some of the major flaws of his previous Doctor Who series - poor characterisation and shallow dialogue - and has come up with a sharper, mature, more dramatically and emotionally satisfying new series.

All good, in my opinion.

I do like your analysis and hope you are right .I have loved Dr Who for many years but found this doctor so different.

Having watched the Orient Express episode I am happy again.

I wonder will a crossover episode ever happen --- imagine Sherlock trying to fathom the Dr and vice versa.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing them? No.
    Overlapping them? Yes.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OR

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - no, not at all
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen Sherlock so havn't a clue, but the Doctor has been Holmesian before, he's worn the deerstalker and wasn't he mistaken for him in one of the books? Anyway he can be a very similar character in 'investigative' mode and probably knew him quite well:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    I've never seen Sherlock so havn't a clue, but the Doctor has been Holmesian before, he's worn the deerstalker and wasn't he mistaken for him in one of the books? Anyway he can be a very similar character in 'investigative' mode and probably knew him quite well:)

Except that Sherlock Holmes is fictitious and never actually existed... a bit like Robin Hood ;)
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a review that suggested that 12 might be on the autistic spectrum.

I don't watch Sherlock but I believe that has been suggested about him as well??
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    My point is if you would had read the article in which Steven Moffatt in answer to questions states that the doctor can ONLY regenerate 12 times.

Considering Moffatt writes the script , I think his opinion is of more value than the author of the piece .

Its a pity you didn't check this fact before your post.

All this means is that Moffatt had to invent a method to get around this rule. Just because he states its a rule, doesn't mean he has to abide by it. He made a point of it in order to fuel speculation, so that people would be curious as to how he was going to get around it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    There are definite similarities between PCDoc and Sherlock Holmes, which are further reinforced by the comparisons already drawn this series with Dr Gregory House (whose character was openly based on Holmes - the clue's in the name - "House", geddit?)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    Except that Sherlock Holmes is fictitious and never actually existed... a bit like Robin Hood ;)

We've already been told that in the DWverse Conan Doyle based the character of Sherlock Holmes on Madame Vastra so yes the Doctor does know "Sherlock Holmes" quite well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sherlock is very good - definitely worth giving a chance if you've not seen it.

I'm a big Doyle fan and was a bit wary of a modernised Holmes/Watson but it's very well done - new plots but plenty of well handled nods to the original stories - plus a superb cast (the regular supporting cast is as good as it gets).

It's not "heavy duty" stuff but nor is it pure fluff.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member

Which of course means they could meet, in the Who-niverse, though I don't think we'll ever see it during Moffat's tenure.

As for the Daily Fail's "quality" journalism, it's about as deep and thoughtful as those "critics" who called the acting in various Gerry Anderson's live actions series "wooden". While not always top quality acting, the "wooden" comment was always an obvious and lazy "cheap shot".
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I saw a review that suggested that 12 might be on the autistic spectrum.

I don't watch Sherlock but I believe that has been suggested about him as well??
    I don't think there's any way that 12, or in fact any of the Doctor, could fit the autistic-spectrum diagnoses - they certainly have no problem with verbal or motor skills, their social skills are a fully developed as they need to be, even if they don't particularly think them important. A quick bit of reading suggests that some autistic disorders are characterised by an unusual focus or obsession on narrow interests - I would say that's almost the complete opposite of the Doctor's behaviour, he wants to see and experience everything.

If anything, the Doctor has more signs of ADHD:
    An individual with inattention may have some or all of the following symptoms:
    Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
    Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something enjoyable
    Not seem to listen when spoken to

An individual with hyperactivity may have some or all of the following symptoms:
    Talk nonstop
    Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
    Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, doing homework, and story time
    Be constantly in motion
    Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities
    These hyperactivity symptoms tend to go away with age and turn into "inner restlessness" in teens and adults with ADHD.

An individual with impulsivity may have some or all of the following symptoms:
    Be very impatient
    Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences
    Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turns in games
    Often interrupt conversations or others' activities

Sound familiar?
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's any way that 12, or in fact any of the Doctor, could fit the autistic-spectrum diagnoses - they certainly have no problem with verbal or motor skills, their social skills are a fully developed as they need to be, even if they don't particularly think them important. A quick bit of reading suggests that some autistic disorders are characterised by an unusual focus or obsession on narrow interests - I would say that's almost the complete opposite of the Doctor's behaviour, he wants to see and experience everything.

If anything, the Doctor has more signs of ADHD:

Sound familiar?[/QUOTE]

It certainly does :D

I think the reviewer thought it might explain the lack of emotional connection on 12's part. It was pure supposition. The fact that he referred to Clara as 'broken' when she displayed two different emotions - she was smiling but yet seemed sad. I think people on the spectrum can have similar difficulties but I am no expert on it.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record, we're all on the autistic spectrum somewhere, it's just that for most of us it's so far down at the lower end it isn't a problem.

Whether that applies to Time Lords or not is another issue, of course! To my knowledge (I work in Learning Support) it only applies to human beings! :)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are definite similarities between PCDoc and Sherlock Holmes, which are further reinforced by the comparisons already drawn this series with Dr Gregory House (whose character was openly based on Holmes - the clue's in the name - "House", geddit?)

Yeah I've seen some people say they like 12 because he's like House.

There are some pretty obvious similarities between 12 and Sherlock, compounded by the fact Moffat writes both. I don't think he should be at all surprised by the comparison.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To summarise the answer:
    NO