Options

Dog Keeps "Seeing Things" - Very Worried

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
We have a boxer dog. She's female and will soon be 11 years old. She is absolutely full of energy (even more than most boxers!!) and has so much life in her. She hurt her leg when she was younger and had to have a big operation. She also had to have a big operation on her eye to remove a cyst. She also had to have a lot of teeth out due to bad breath. She's been back and forth for various things. Anyway, over the past couple of weeks we noticed that now and again she would suddenyl stop what she was doing and would become fixated on something...bu there's nothing there. She'd only do it for a few seconds and all she would do is stare. Anyway, last night was in a complete and utter state. It came out of nowhere...she started pacing the living room panting like crazy and we could not calm her down at all...it went on for about 2 and a half hours. During this time she kept becoming fixated on absolutely nothing every couple of minutes. Eventually we all went to bed and put big cushions up at the stairs (we do this sometimes due to her age and also incase her unning and up and down triggers her old leg injury). Now she's a very hyper dog, but she's very, well behaved. We all went to bed and thought that if we left her alone for a bit she would eventually calm down. Suddenly we heard a massive thud and she had jumped the HUGE cusions and was running up the stairs to us. She was in complete distress and we can't work out why.

She slept in my parents room last night, but she didn't really settle properly at all. When we woke up this morning she was extremely quiet, but not pacing and panting the room. By the time I was leaving for work though, she was starting to pace the room, pant and "see things" again. My dad has stayed home from work with her today but I won't know how she is until I get home. I just can't understand what on earth is wrong with her. I know boxers are hyper, but this one in particular is crazy and has such a strange personality...she's scared of so many things/doesn't know what to think of things. If she was just pacing the room panting I wouldn't be so worried as the way she eprceives and thinks about things is different o most dogs, but it's the fact she keeps "seeing things" which is making me really worry. I said to my parents maybe she's seeing a spirit, but realistically she just can't be. I just don't get it at all. Has anyone experienced this before with a pet?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would pop her to the vet it sounds like our late Rosie when she went senile but could also be a fit. Needs the vet to see her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I would pop her to the vet it sounds like our late Rosie when she went senile but could also be a fit. Needs the vet to see her.

I think we might have to take her this evening. She's just such a strange dog. About 2 years ago she was extremely quiet for almost two days and hardly ate a thing and kept walking around with her head down. She actually looked like she was at death's door and my mum was crying and everything. She's never had that happen again since though. I'm convinced that she was just feeling really, really unwell and was worried herself as she's never felt like that before. She's a dog that worries and gets scared easily. I would have said the same thing about this latest incident, it's just the seeing things that's really worrying.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is an occasion where a vet needs to look at a dog and all the best suggestions from an internet forum cannot replace that hands-on analysis.

One thing I would say is that the concern your parents may be feeling could be transmitting itself to the dog and making things a bit worse so your parents need to be conscious of the need to be very calm around her, no tears or worried behaviour around the dog and don't change her routine.

And it's not necessarily that she is 'seeing things' when she becomes fixated on a spot in the room - she may be in pain, or suffering a mild seizure... her brain may be re-booting while she's like that and in fact, she's not 'seeing' anything at all. If possible, get your parents to film her on a phone while she's having one of these episodes because it is sod's law that it won't happen while she's in front of the vet.

Hope all goes well and things improve.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be several things including senility or even hepatic encephalopathy due to a liver problem
    http://www.animalhealthcarecenterofhershey.com/medical%20handouts/Liver%20Failure%20and%20Hepatic%20Encephalopathy%20Management.pdf
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that you need to see the vet. Ideally if she does it again before then try to video her on your phone or camera so you can show the vet, it helps enormously if you can do that.
    It does sound like senility or a form of epilepsy. I hope she's ok x
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had our McGee checked out by a neurologist because they thought he might have brain lesions because he does odd things. Turns out he is fine, just a weirdo.

But when we were being asked questions, the neurologist was asking if he stares into space or becomes fixated.

I think boxers are meant to suffer from brain tumours a lot, and 11 is a cracking age, but I would first see the vet and hopefully they will refer you to a neurologist if they cant work it out themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got homf rom work yesterday and she was happy, came to greet me. My dad said that she calmed down around lunch time yesterday. She had an amazing nights sleep last night, obviously due to being awake the entire night before. I woke up this morning and she was happy, but as I left for work she was panting again and pacing the living room a bit. My dad is staying home with her again today and is going to take her to the vet this evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the vet, hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A general blood test might be a good idea anyway. Best of luck!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're doing the right thing with the vet visit. Let us know how you get on.

I just wanted to say, when my little bull terrier got to around 12 or so she had all the symptoms you describe. (Predictably it came on during a christmas week as well!)

We took her to the vet's and the verdict was that she had the beginnings of dementia, combined with an ear infection. She was panting, pacing, up all night, seeing things... We were given antibiotics to clear up the ear thing which worked very quickly and Vivitonin which made a difference for quite a while - maybe a year or more. Then it stopped working and she had no medication. The seeing things phase faded out. One weird thing which is common with senile dogs... she developed a fear of her water bowl! We had to ind a certain bowl that didn't scare her (metal shiny ones were the scariest!) She went on to live to be 14 and a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    You're doing the right thing with the vet visit. Let us know how you get on.

I just wanted to say, when my little bull terrier got to around 12 or so she had all the symptoms you describe. (Predictably it came on during a christmas week as well!)

We took her to the vet's and the verdict was that she had the beginnings of dementia, combined with an ear infection. She was panting, pacing, up all night, seeing things... We were given antibiotics to clear up the ear thing which worked very quickly and Vivitonin which made a difference for quite a while - maybe a year or more. Then it stopped working and she had no medication. The seeing things phase faded out. One weird thing which is common with senile dogs... she developed a fear of her water bowl! We had to ind a certain bowl that didn't scare her (metal shiny ones were the scariest!) She went on to live to be 14 and a bit.
    Yes I remember the water bowl problems well we ended up with a plastic one for one old dog and a saucer for another, obviously the saucer had to be refilled quite a lot.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your house blessed, OP?
    Some people may laugh and be dismissive of this but they do say dogs can sense spirits and thus have a sixth sense that humans obviously lack. It could explain your dog's behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately she passed away this morning. We're absolutely devastated.

Carrying on from where I left off on my last post...my dad took her to the our vet and was told to take her to the Queen Mary Veterinary Hospital. We took her there and they looked her over and said that it didn't seem like it was anything to do with her brain. We took her home and had to make an appointment for her to go back and have an ECG and blood test. We took her a few days later where she had the tests. They told us yesterday that her heart is beating incredibly slow but her blood pressure is high, and that we should put her to sleep. We were all so upset. My parents went to pick her up this morning as we were going to bring her home to say goodbye and then take her to the vet up the road to be put to sleep, but as they were driving to pick her up the vets called and said she had died. We are all just completely devastated. She was 11 but was so full of energy, she adored us and relied on us. She hated being away from us and it's terrible to think she was in the vets alone for the past 2 days without us. We're all just in a terrible state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that, at least she is now out of pain, just take care of yourself at this sad time, it's hard and we all understand how you feel.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Oh how very sad and I do understand how you feel, it is devastating.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So very sorry. I understand how you feel. It's never easy and so sad that you didn't get the chance to say goodbye but she knew you loved her.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear that ;(

From the sounds of it I don't expect she was very aware towards the end so as long as she was warm and comfortable - as she would have been - she'll not have been distressed that you weren't there and would have just drifted off. Please don't further upset youself with thoughts of her being alone. The vet nurses will have given her a fuss and many a soft kind word. she was in the right place and you & your family did the right thing.

Take care of yourself xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this news OP. Hugs from across the ether.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my old dog used to stare at things.. just before someone died.. sure she was seeing angels
    and spirits.. quite spooky it was..
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozzy, you certainly did your best for her in her last days and she was where she could be helped at the end. Be kind to yourself during these next few weeks and months. xxx
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(

Take care OP
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seriously though OP take care..