UK's Magic Digital 1 mono/105.4 FM stereo (London and the South East only)

Comments

• RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just caught a link from the john barrowman show .......omg how awful is that

You poor thing. I am sure there is a support group available :D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    A lot of Bauer and Global presenters work 6 days Nick Snaith is doing Magic in mornings also presents a show on Saturday as well as Angie Greaves who does weekday afternoons.

How awful for them... Such back-breaking work too! :D

Almost as funny as when it was reported Steve Wright arrives for work at 9am... and leaves around 5.30pm :o:o A breach of human rights, surely?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    How awful for them... Such back-breaking work too! :D

Almost as funny as when it was reported Steve Wright arrives for work at 9am... and leaves around 5.30pm :o:o A breach of human rights, surely?

He does have his feet up for most of the time from 2-5 though so not much sympathy for him here.
  • CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    The Magic website has a link right now saying "Find out more about Magic 80s", although the page is a dead end. I assume it's an error on their web team's part, but... what could this be? A radio show? A radio station? Taking over Absolute 80s?

http://www.magic.co.uk/on-air/pages/magic80s
    (This is a dead link, but the home page, under "Top Stories", has a link to this)

This link works: http://www.magic.co.uk/pages/magic80s/
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    Quci kquestion - when driving about in South Wales listening to Magic on DAB - every now and then the audio drops (a signal thing?) dont seem to happen on Smooth on Cardiff/Newport or Swansea Sound on DAB

Is it to do with the radio looking for another signal from the national multiplex? (I got a Pure Highway DAB radio in the car)
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Stephen Davis record the news during Drivetime? I always wonder cause Richard sometimes starts to play music before he ends the news bulletin?

Also Simon Dale is on Sunday Breakfast this weekend.
  • RadioMonsterRadioMonster Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ussualy all news are prerecorded.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing Magic is target 35 +
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why guess when the information is available?
    http://www.magic.co.uk/faqs/public-file/
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mellow magic is a bit repetitive. I wish they would mix those songs a bit and let the dj talk more than once every 40 mins or so. Plus after love songs it would be good if they went back to normal playlist but i guess as there is no Dj thats why they stick to mellow until 4am.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member

Do you think many in their late 30s really listen, far too old sounding to me, Radio 2 does a better job of attracting 35-40s than Magic.

I thought Magic was really battling with Smooth so more focused on 50 something's, that how it sounds to me.

I think Global and Bauer use Heart and Absolute to cover 30 and 40 somethings and leave Smooth and Magic to cover 50+.

If Magic really want 35-50, they need to have a livelier sound and include some newer tunes.
  • mark mayhewmark mayhew Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I know many of my friends who are in their mid 30's and early 40's tune into Magic.

I certainly don't think they are deliberately targeting folk in their 50's.

Indeed because Magic has raised its game in recent months I imagine they are taking lots of listeners from BBC Radio 2.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Do you think many in their late 30s really listen, far too old sounding to me

Yes I do think many in their late 30's listen.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Why guess when the information is available?
    http://www.magic.co.uk/faqs/public-file/
    Also the TV ads for Magic London are after the mid 30's rather than 50s
    http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/press/news/article/new-tv-ad-for-magic-105.4
    The thirty second spot, created by Red Bee Media, features a central female character in her mid to late thirties called Melanie, who listens to Magic 105.4 with the ad visualising the effect the music has on her life
    This age is what the London ad agencies are targetting and makes Magic profitable.
    I think Global and Bauer use Heart and Absolute to cover 30 and 40 somethings
    Magic and Heart is slightly aimed towards more 30+ females, whereas Absolute and Planetrock is more aimed at 30+ men (man in the van!), but many men are happy with Magic and Heart, many females like Absolute and Planetrock.

Ironically when Global were in the process of taking over GCAP they allowed Planetrock to be sold so other than Arrow (in tickover mode) and XFM (more aimed at younger ages), they don't have any equivalent to Planetrock and Absolute.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Magic are playing the current no 1 Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. I was extremely surprised to hear this as was my daughter who commented I thought Magic only played old songs. Is this a shift in music policy?
    I should add that Radio 2 are also playing it.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Magic are playing the current no 1 Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. I was extremely surprised to hear this as was my daughter who commented I thought Magic only played old songs. Is this a shift in music policy?

They have been playing some of the hotter new songs for a while now and its sounds very poor. Locked out of Heaven was on high rotation a few months ago as well and like this it really jars with the rest of Magic.

Heart can get away with it as there slightly hotter (Especially now) but Magic are just that bit softer and it doesn't sound right. The new Ellie Goulding song is perfectly fine for Magic as is George Ezra even the older Bruno Mars songs like Marry You fit ok but not this. I could be completely wrong and it may test really well with Magic's audience however i very much doubt it.
    Forum Member
    I'm over 50 and I quite like Uptown Funk and the new Ellie Goulding and George Ezra. However I agree Uptown Funk does stand out a bit but it is a good track. We were driving at the time and it sounded good on the DAB car radio.
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    They have been playing some of the hotter new songs for a while now and its sounds very poor. Locked out of Heaven was on high rotation a few months ago as well and like this it really jars with the rest of Magic.

Heart can get away with it as there slightly hotter (Especially now) but Magic are just that bit softer and it doesn't sound right. The new Ellie Goulding song is perfectly fine for Magic as is George Ezra even the older Bruno Mars songs like Marry You fit ok but not this. I could be completely wrong and it may test really well with Magic's audience however i very much doubt it.

Heart aren't getting away with playing recent music they have to as most of their local licences are CHR, the old GWR One Network.
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Yes I do think many in their late 30's listen.

Are breakdowns of stations' audiences by age available? Would make very interesting reading.

As a potential advertiser this is the information I'd want to see to ensure the right audience would be tuning in.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member

Sometimes you get one of those songs that gets picked up by a lot of stations, Uptown Funk is one of them, Daft Punk's Get Lucky was another.

Personally I like to hear a good mix, Magic is now my second choice after Radio 2 and must say I always choose Richard Allinson for my drive home this days.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart aren't getting away with playing recent music they have to as most of their local licences are CHR, the old GWR One Network.

Yes thats correct, the one network stations take a hotter log at breakfast and drive, it has always been the case though even before the One network joined. Heart has always been that little bit hotter AC than Magic. Like i said Uptown Funk, Locked out of heaven, Get Lucky ect sound great on Heart as there also not playing Carpenters ect where as Magic is.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are breakdowns of stations' audiences by age available? Would make very interesting reading.

As a potential advertiser this is the information I'd want to see to ensure the right audience would be tuning in.

Which is why they include it in advertising packs ;-)

This is an old advertising pack giving the figures from Q2:

http://bauermedia.co.uk/uploads/Magic_105.4_Media_Pack_Q2_2014.pptx

Most listeners come from 25-34, then 35-44, 45-54, 15-24, 55-64 and finally 65+.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they've been playlisting current songs to varying degrees for the last few years - however it's only the last two or three they've started playlisting more upbeat currents.
    Forum Member
    Only really started listening again since they went back on national DAB so not aware. Magic sounds so much better than Smooth or the wasted extra version.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic is better than smooth but sadly the playlist is not in the way of repeats. Same old songs everyday. I have gone back to my tune in app. Will dip into magic every nowcand then.