Do You Regret Getting rid of Your Old CRT TV?

With SD pictures & sound not that good on LCD/LED televisions, I wonder if anyone regrets getting rid of their old CRT television, excluding the space factor?

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I find the sounds no worse and sd picture quality is better. I did buy a plasma though.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    With SD pictures & sound not that good on LCD/LED televisions, I wonder if anyone regrets getting rid of their old CRT television, excluding the space factor?

I bet secretly some people do, but to admit to it would be like saying, I'm edging towards comfort over style with these cordroy trousers.

So, people will suffer in silence.

I have both CRT and LCD. To be brutally blunt the LCD is utter utter pants when it comes to anything NOT HD.

The problem is, finding both something I want to watch AND something in HD is just so bloody tedious, or having found something I get halfway through it and find that I'm on the SD version of the channel and WTF I've actually managed to enjoy this programme without the HD experience shock fecking horror, but I switch channels anyway and spend the remaining time the programme is on enjoying the clarity and not the programme. Shite hd distraction shite.

You cant enjoy a programme if its *not* in HD. Bahhh:rolleyes:
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    No....Wouldn't go back to CRT. The large Toshiba my Father still has reminds me of how much better the picture is on my LCD.
    You will always get the beard and sandal brigade crying into their real ale about the demise of CRT.;) All a bit pointless as they aren't coming back, thank goodness.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    No....Wouldn't go back to CRT. The large Toshiba my Father still has reminds me of how much better the picture is on my LCD.
    You will always get the beard and sandal brigade crying into their real ale about the demise of CRT.;) All a bit pointless as they aren't coming back, thank goodness.

lol I was waiting for that:p

[note: I dont have a beard and my sandals are not leather, nor do i wear socks with them!]
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got a CRT in the bedroom - along with plasma in the living room and LCD in the sun lounge. CRT is definitely the worst for picture quality - though the sound's alright on it - so will be the next to go.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    We did when we got our first LCD TV.... We then got Plasma and all was better again.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted a tv to replace my samsung crt as it was a bit of a big oaf even at 21 inches...didnt want an lcd led tv as my budget wasn't BIg and the only ones I could afford were the cheap technika/vestel badged things.
    So bought v cheap a B&O mx4000 for only a few £'s half the size of standard crt the sound is great and the picture is good as well.
    will I go lcd, led, plasma?.. umm maybe not until this things dies and when i have more spondoolies or i'll just get another B&O 3rd hand if they still exist. However somewhere inside of me is telling me to get a loewe mimo.....but i wont...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    We did when we got our first LCD TV.... We then got Plasma and all was better again.

Plasma too for me. My plasma easily beats my old Toshiba 32inch CRT (not to mention my Panasonic rear projection) on SD material, and on HD it is of course superb.

To the OP, LCD/LED has improved massively over the past couple of years, but, for me anyway, a good plasma set is still the only ones that can give CRT sets a run for their money on picture quality on SD sources. To me, even today, LCD/LED sets still don't quite look right, they look very slightly cartoonish whereas plasma sets just look more natural. And as I said, 99.9999% of CRT sets cannot do any form of HD, so if you want to go HD you need LCD/LED or plasma anyway.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i only just recently upgraded to a flat panel. The main reason being the stand that came with the CRT TV kept collapsing. I thought it would be a false economy to buy a stand to take the weight of a heavy 32" CRT.
    I opted for an LED backlight set and i am generally pleased. The black levels are a lot better than ordinary LCD sets. I am also glad to be able to watch internet content on my TV as well. Do i miss anything about my CRT TV? Well the SD TV channels did look better on it but some SD content like DVD's and some content on Smart internet TV looks very good on my LED set so it must be an issue with the quality that the SD channels are broadcasting at. Black levels on my CRT TV were also slightly better.
    There are things i don't miss about my CRT TV though. The geometry could be awful. It especially showed up on Sky's tv guide and BBC News Channel's scrolling text. I also don't miss the hassle of having to move the TV as well.
    I think CRT's have their advantage but they also have their disadvantages. It is about time we had TVs that have those advantages without the disadvantages. We were supposed to be getting SED TVs and they never saw the light of day. The same seems to be said of OLED TVs as well.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the great SD picture, my old 32" CRT TV took up too much space so I don't miss it one bit.
  • witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I always thought my Sony 32” CRT couldn’t be bettered until I bought a Panasonic plasma - no looking back.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many cases people are not comparing like for like with Plasma, LCD and CRTs in SD. They have a 32 inch CRT and invariably replace it with a 42in Plasma or LCD and then wonder why the picture does not look as good. Try looking at a 42inch CRT and say it looks better.

My mate had a plasma and I have an LCD, Panny and neither he nor me can see any discernible difference between the pictures.

I always thought my CRT TV was great until I got my LCD but I would never go back, the picture is superb.. I think it also depends on the quality of the flat screen TV, some of the budget cheaper ones I have seen leave much to be desired. Like a cheap mattress or an expensive one they both will do the job but the difference is very noticeable.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Beard: Check
    Sandals: Check (but can't find them at the mo)
    Real ales: Check - I seek them out
    CRT TV: Check
    Betamax: Check (do I get extra points?)

:)
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »

Definitely extra for the Betamax!

But deductions for the sandals!! lol

Though you could make up some ground if you have a reel to reel in your basement:p
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a LG plasma and no problem with SD from DVD (or even AVI) but bit rate on some channels is so low that is looks crap on both CRT and new plasma. Basically the picture is no worse then CRT and definitely better in most cases.

And I love having a 50" screen for saturday night movies.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »

Bet you knew my Granddad!;) The 21st Century totally wasted already....:D
  • itvproduceritvproducer Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I avoided LCD until I was able to use it for HD.
    There are some punters out there who bought LCD and plasma 5 , 6 or more years ago when there was no HD to view and they still claimed the pictures were great .:rolleyes:

And of course they were not - the sd pictures were more shit than they are today and they made the cack that was 100Hz sd on a CRT look good and those who bought back then clearly would not know a quality image if it kicked them up the arse.
    These were the early adopters more interested in saving space on the cabinet than the quality of the images onscreen.
    Admittedly the sets looked very sexy - but only while they were switched off.
    You only had to demo an LCD or plasma back then in a retailer to see how bad they were.

I stuck with CRT for its superior sd images that we had with dvd and sd channels but once HD arrived I went for it in 2008.
    It was still a trial watching some of the sd channels especially via Sky+ but I found the V+ upscaling was far superior to Sky+ and the sd channels became much better with the V+ box doing the work.

These days virtually all my recording is from HD channels and while I watch mostly Bluray I've got used to classic tv on dvd and put up with the picture issues that you get sometimes.

Would I go back to CRT? Not a chance.

While close up inspection of dvd's and sd channels on an LCD shows up the problems that a CRT would not , viewing them from your regular viewing distance makes for an improvement as the colour on flat panels is light years ahead of CRT
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I avoided LCD until I was able to use it for HD.
    There are some punters out there who bought LCD and plasma 5 , 6 or more years ago when there was no HD to view and they still claimed the pictures were great .:rolleyes:

And of course they were not - the sd pictures were more shit than they are today and they made the cack that was 100Hz sd on a CRT look good and those who bought back then clearly would not know a quality image if it kicked them up the arse.
    These were the early adopters more interested in saving space on the cabinet than the quality of the images onscreen.
    Admittedly the sets looked very sexy - but only while they were switched off.
    You only had to demo an LCD or plasma back then in a retailer to see how bad they were.

I stuck with CRT for its superior sd images that we had with dvd and sd channels but once HD arrived I went for it in 2008.
    It was still a trial watching some of the sd channels especially via Sky+ but I found the V+ upscaling was far superior to Sky+ and the sd channels became much better with the V+ box doing the work.

These days virtually all my recording is from HD channels and while I watch mostly Bluray I've got used to classic tv on dvd and put up with the picture issues that you get sometimes.

Would I go back to CRT? Not a chance.

While close up inspection of dvd's and sd channels on an LCD shows up the problems that a CRT would not , viewing them from your regular viewing distance makes for an improvement as the colour on flat panels is light years ahead of CRT

There is one thing I will keep a CRT set for, watching old home made videos made on VHS and 8mm formats.

They look hideous on LCD....
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    There is one thing I will keep a CRT set for, watching old home made videos made on VHS and 8mm formats.

You are right there. Instead of getting the best out of tapes and revealing the good and the bad better than CRT we get false colour blocking, strange brightness muting, random jerky pixel effects and all of these are not possible on VHS tape so the TV is inventing defects of its own. I can't be doing with that.
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wall mounting by 50" 3D plasma this week and getting my Sony Trinitron 21" CRT back off my sister, so I can use it for my NES/SNES as these look awful on a 50" HD screen
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    I'm wall mounting by 50" 3D plasma this week and getting my Sony Trinitron 21" CRT back off my sister, so I can use it for my NES/SNES as these look awful on a 50" HD screen

Try looking from the correct distance - you obviously need to be a LOT further away for a 50 inch after a 21 inch.

I can still remmeber the old B&W days, with some customers complaining about poor picture quality on 23 inch sets after upgrading from a 19 inch - same reason (but not as extreme) :D
  • upchatlineupchatline Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »

They do indeed.
    I've transferred a lot of VHSC and rare tv shows to dvd and while the quality is very poor in comparison , they do look passable from my regular seating position
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try looking from the correct distance - you obviously need to be a LOT further away for a 50 inch after a 21 inch.

I can still remmeber the old B&W days, with some customers complaining about poor picture quality on 23 inch sets after upgrading from a 19 inch - same reason (but not as extreme) :D

It doesn't matter how far I sit from the screen, Super Mario Bros on NES will never look good on a big screen
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-Ive still got it, and it goes perfectly. Im not interested in hd etc. and it lives in the corner so although 32", it doesnt stick out in the room. Also the sound is so much better than flatscreens which sounds weedy with about 1watt a channel!
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

I'm guessing the 405-line era?