Doctor Who: The Bell's Of St John Prequel

Comments

• bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked it, obvious but nevertheless good.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    Well, I for one agree with you. So there.

Oh look, a minority is forming, whatever shall we dooooo?:rolleyes:
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the Doctor was looking for his friend but he didn't say the name of the friend, so could it be possible he wasn't looking for Clara but someone else?:confused:
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    He said he lost her twice and just bumped into her both times. It's Clara.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »

Oi. Entitled to my opinion, thank you very much. :rolleyes: right back at you.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh shut up. Everything old is new again.
    Including people overreacting to the slightest criticism :D
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    To all you "oh so clever" people saying it was obvious. I'm clever and I DIDNT see that coming. So there...:p . (Im convinced that even if you clever boys and girls were ever surprised you'd still moan about it and SAY you saw any twist coming)
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drtwelve wrote: »
    To all you "oh so clever" people saying it was obvious. I'm clever and I DIDNT see that coming. So there...:p . (Im convinced that even if you clever boys and girls were ever surprised you'd still moan about it and SAY you saw any twist coming)

Just nineteen posts and you've sussed out some of the people on here already :)
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i didn't expect the girl to be clara, if anything i was expecting clara to call the girls name with her mum
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did laugh at this. Alot, thankyou.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know, but the girl had a northern accent (rather than a London one), and bore very little resemblance to a young Jenna.

I wasn't going to comment on it, as they are the ramblings of a pedant, but your post ties into it a bit. :p

Doesn't Jenna have a northern accent? She is northern.

And I thought the child had a resemblance to Jenna.

I'm not clever, and rarely spot what's going to happen, but I did guess the outcome in this instance, mainly because of the point pickwick made; it's what Moff does. This is not a moan, just an observation.

Will Clara remember this incident when she is grown up and meets the Doctor again? It seems not, so therefore differnt from the other two times this has happened.

Nice little prologue, anyway.:)
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about whether it's been done before or not. At the end of the day, it's a prequel that'll only be seen by a fraction of DW's viewership, and I thought it was a sweet and entertaining one at that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prequel was brilliant. Sweet. Funny. A little sad. And Matt was amazing. We are so used to seeing him bounding about limbs flailing but when he does the quieter stuff he is so good at it. And I love the way he acts with his entire body. A proper performance. The bit when he looked down and kicked his feet against the floor, all that stuff so good.

Oh but I see we aren't allowed to like it because it had a swing and a kid in it. Shocking news! Popular writer with strongly defined themes dares to use vaguely similar visual motifs. Fire him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prequel was brilliant. Sweet. Funny. A little sad. And Matt was amazing. We are so used to seeing him bounding about limbs flailing but when he does the quieter stuff he is so good at it. And I love the way he acts with his entire body. A proper performance. The bit when he looked down and kicked his feet against the floor, all that stuff so good.

Oh but I see we aren't allowed to like it because it had a swing and a kid in it. Shocking news! Popular writer with strongly defined themes dares to use vaguely similar visual motifs. Fire him!

Agree about Matt, but who says you're not allowed to like it? :confused:

Are we not allowed to point out Moff's done similar things before? Not everything that doesn't sing Moff's praises is Moffat bashing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about Matt, but who says you're not allowed to like it? :confused:

Are we not allowed to point out Moff's done similar things before? Not everything that doesn't sing Moff's praises is Moffat bashing.

That post from our Dickensian friend seemed like it to me. I suppose it depends how you want to view it, positively or negatively. I think a writer or amy other artist having certain themes or motifs they like to return to shows a strong sense of an individual voice. Everyone does it. Of course you could choose to cast it negatively if you wish as Pickwick did. I am sure when Pet Sounds came out there were some people waving their fists going 'bah! Those bloody beach boys and their bloody harmonies again!'.

For me that isn't Moffat running out of ideas. Its deliberate. And obviously a sly nod or bridge between Pond and Clara.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't Jenna have a northern accent? She is northern.

And I thought the child had a resemblance to Jenna.

Jenna is northern, yes. Clara (in her guises so far and going by the preview clips) doesn't seem to be.

But I guess people's accents can change. Mine certainly has.

As for the resemblance, I can't agree... but until we see a picture of tiny Jenna we'll never know.

However if I went searching for one I know I'll just get into trouble :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drtwelve wrote: »

Well I saw it coming, and also thought it was a bit of a repetition of little Amelia. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was a sweet gag. Nothing wrong with re-using ideas now and then, especially good ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I saw it coming, and also thought it was a bit of a repetition of little Amelia. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was a sweet gag. Nothing wrong with re-using ideas now and then, especially good ones.

Agreed. If this theme was reused within the main programme, I would be disappointed, but I'm glad it was used for a 'prequel' instead. That way, Moffat gets to tell a small (if familiar) anecdote without risking criticism toward his main work.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That post from our Dickensian friend seemed like it to me. I suppose it depends how you want to view it, positively or negatively. I think a writer or amy other artist having certain themes or motifs they like to return to shows a strong sense of an individual voice. Everyone does it. Of course you could choose to cast it negatively if you wish as Pickwick did. I am sure when Pet Sounds came out there were some people waving their fists going 'bah! Those bloody beach boys and their bloody harmonies again!'.

For me that isn't Moffat running out of ideas. Its deliberate. And obviously a sly nod or bridge between Pond and Clara.

I think you are fully entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that this is all now rather samey.

It means it's very hard to be surprised..most people knew, because that's what Moff does..that that was Clara on the swing. Takes some of the fun away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    He said he lost her twice and just bumped into her both times. It's Clara.

I'm not so sure, what if it's her twin pretending to be Clara.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenna is northern, yes. Clara (in her guises so far and going by the preview clips) doesn't seem to be.

But I guess people's accents can change. Mine certainly has.

As for the resemblance, I can't agree... but until we see a picture of tiny Jenna we'll never know.

However if I went searching for one I know I'll just get into trouble :D

Clara (in the clip)'s mother seemed to have a southern, or at least non-northern accent.

And surely the Doctor would be wandering round London looking for Clara, as that's where he saw her last. He wouldn't take a trip up north to look for her (unless he was indulging in a bit of Lucie nostalgia and called in at Blackpool).

So young Clara maybe had lived up north, then they moved down to London, where her mother originally came from. Thus as she grew up she would lose her accent. :D

I just thought the little girl was dark haired and pretty, like Jenna, so had a resemblance.:)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Isn't the Doctor wearing the wrong costume in that episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    It means it's very hard to be surprised..most people knew, because that's what Moff does..that that was Clara on the swing. Takes some of the fun away.

I admit I didn't expect it, but for the same reason - the Moff has done that before, with Madame du Pompadour, Amy, River and (off-screen) that woman on that planet...forgotten their names...

"He wouldn't do that again so soon, would he?"
    "Oh, he has...well, okay!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven Moffat is a very good writer and should be supported with where he is going with the Clara character. If there are some similarities, there must be reasons for it, that will make more sense further in to the series. That is just my opinion, maybe it should have gone in the other thread but that's another place and I quite like it here.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. If this theme was reused within the main programme, I would be disappointed, but I'm glad it was used for a 'prequel' instead. That way, Moffat gets to tell a small (if familiar) anecdote without risking criticism toward his main work.

I don't think I would necessarily mind if it turned up in the main show, unless it became a major plot point. It probably then would become a little too much, a little too soon. But otherwise: yes, agreed.