Options

Internet Radio - recomendation

Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone recommend to me a good quality Internet radio system. I saw one once in a friends house where he had a key pad and accessed the stations from the list ... He had 2 speakers as part of the system on top of the units via wi fi. ....Sounded really good. Have looked on Amazon and can't find anything similar..

Any help of anything anyone thinks may fit the bill would be appreciated.. Thank you in advance..

Comments

• Options
    tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if it will be what you want, but I have just ordered an internet radio from a Chinese seller on the Ali express site. It is basically a head unit which plugs into your hifi aux port.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6322008203.html
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyman wrote: »
    I have just ordered an internet radio from a Chinese seller on the Ali express site. It is basically a head unit which plugs into your hifi aux port.
    I will be interested to know if this is any good, I could do with something like this to plug in to my kitchen stereo.
  • Options
    Samantha_JamesSamantha_James Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Quasar The Album station would be my recommendation.
    www.quasarradio.uk
    It's not too heavy and when they have presenters on they don't talk too much.
    (Assuming you like The Stones, Dylan, Motown, Foo Fighters etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bollard wrote: »
    I will be interested to know if this is any good, I could do with something like this to plug in to my kitchen stereo.

Strangely enough that is exactly what I intend to do with mine.
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these solutions look good.

Mine's more budget orientated, only working part time I've had to combine devices.

I bought a tablet - a Hudl 2 from Tesco. It's actually good value for money - a 1.6 GHz Intel quad-core processor, and a HDMI screen for only £129... Yes, I'd like an iPad or Nexus 7, but they're a bit more than £129...

The point is that a tablet runs internet radio. There are many internet radio apps including Radioplayer and the BBC iPlayer radio app. Stations not participating in a radio player app can simply be played via the web browser.

There are web pages, images and text to go with the station being listened to. Obviously, after a couple of minutes inactivity, the tablet screen blanks to extend battery life, but the radio keeps playing. The tablet can be connected to a hifi via the headphone socket, by a mini USB socket, via HDMI socket or by Bluetooth.. that's another thing - quite popular now are Bluetooth speakers. It is even possible to get a Bluetooth adaptor for your hifi, so no wires.

Also I've discontinued broadband via BT because I was paying £29 a month for a BT phone contract, and never using the phone, so like an increasing number of people, I use wireless broadband. £20 a month for 15 Gig allowance ( which I cannot stay awake long enough to use up ). I'm with EE and the cost includes a free Osprey wifi router ( about the size of a box of matches and transmits wifi to all rooms of the cottage - amazing ! ).

So by all means buy a separate internet radio, as others recommend. But maybe - just MAYBE - you might want to try a tablet, get some bluetooth connectivity on the "audio" end, and run an internet radio app...

Good luck anyway ! Happy listening whatever solution you go for !
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Pure Evoke Flow has been working much better since I changed my router from a BT Home Hum 3 to a BT Home Hub 4R

Didn't work well on the Home Hub 3 at all. It's now the same as when I first bought it. Excellent. radio now.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyman wrote: »
    Don't know if it will be what you want, but I have just ordered an internet radio from a Chinese seller on the Ali express site. It is basically a head unit which plugs into your hifi aux port.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6322008203.html
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revo-Mondo-Wi-fi-Internet-Adapter/dp/B000WBN5EK
    Revo used to sell the Mondo which was similar but discontinued it?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    The tablet can be connected to a hifi via the headphone socket, by a mini USB socket, via HDMI socket or by Bluetooth.. that's another thing - quite popular now are Bluetooth speakers. It is even possible to get a Bluetooth adaptor for your hifi, so no wires.
    Pure do a Bluetooth HI Fi set adaptor for £69, there might be cheaper adaptors?

http://www.pure.com/product/jongo-a240-vl-62148/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Intreging now has RadioVis with extra station info displayed? Does it work?
    RadioVIS support - A free of charge software update is now available to all ColourStream users to add support for RadioVIS to the DAB and FM radio functions of the ColourStream. RadioVIS is a technology which allows a radio that is connected to the Internet to display colour images while the user is listening to a DAB or FM radio broadcast. The images are provided by the broadcaster and typically relate to the programme content, the presenter, the music that is currently playing, or other programmes from the broadcaster. There can also be news, weather or travel information. - See more at: http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/product_details/COLOURSTREAM.htm#sthash.A7tCm6zc.dpuf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Intreging now has RadioVis with extra station info displayed? Does it work?

Works like a dream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks looks a good and more functional alternative to the expensive Bose Wave radio set they are pushing in glossy mags?
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    I bought a tablet - a Hudl 2 from Tesco. It's actually good value for money - a 1.6 GHz Intel quad-core processor, and a HDMI screen for only £129... Yes, I'd like an iPad or Nexus 7, but they're a bit more than £129...

The point is that a tablet runs internet radio. There are many internet radio apps including Radioplayer and the BBC iPlayer radio app. Stations not participating in a radio player app can simply be played via the web browser.

!
    What's the audio quality like from the Hudl2 if connected to a hifi and fm sender or via Bluetooth?

Sounds like an interesting route to go.
    I've used tunein with my ipad, but too expensive to use as an inet only setup, although a very practical and effective arrangement.
  • Options
    uksoundzuksoundz Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Can anyone recommend a nice oldies style Internet radio station, one that plays 60s 70s type stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to listen to,"Flower Power radio". It plays wonderfully random hits from the 50's to the 70's, in fact it was the station that got me listening to internet radio.
    As I said before I have ordered an internet radio tuner unit for a permanent connection to a hifi system but up until now I have been using my old Samsung smartphone as a tuner, connected to the hifi amp with a jack to phono lead, incidentally bought for a pound from Poundland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charlie wrote: »

This looks like an interesting concept indeed. I've never seen anything like this before. The plus side is that it uses Android, so it can be used for much more than listening to radio. The guy in the comments section on that website is saying that the radio is very slow due to the fact it only has a single core processor, and the other guy is saying that he could not install TuneIn app on it. I also doubt the sound quality can be up to par with Roberts and Pure radios. I love the concept of the device, I'm not sure about the execution, but to be fair, I've never used it myself so I can only assume.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uksoundz wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a nice oldies style Internet radio station, one that plays 60s 70s type stuff?

Oldies paradise is a good one. Plays a wide variety of oldies.

http://www.oldiesparadise.com
  • Options
    bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Roberts Stream 93i successor to 83i which is still on sale.

http://www.whathifi.com/roberts/stream-93i/review
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you fancied a bit of messing about, you can configure a Raspberry Pi to be a great little internet radio. In fact I've gone the other way and am using the Pi as a Shoutcast server, playing my own internet radio station to the masses (well, workplace anyway!)

I have a Roberts Stream 83i and it is very good, with great sound quality. It's only let down by having only 5 direct presets for radio stations as this is never enough!
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    What's the audio quality like from the Hudl2 if connected to a hifi and fm sender or via Bluetooth?

Sounds like an interesting route to go.
    I've used tunein with my ipad, but too expensive to use as an inet only setup, although a very practical and effective arrangement.

I use a Hudl connected to my Sony HiFi by way of a cable plugged into the headphone socket. I use it to listen to Spotify. The sound quality is excellent.
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    It's not an answer to the OP, but the thread is drifting off topic anyway.......
    I use an old 5" tablet as a bedside clock radio, I use the SquareHome Launcher (paid version) to display a clock, four radio apps, and widgets for BBC stations. It's not perfect by any means, but it's effective and attractive.
    The BBC iPlayer app always reverting to portrait is the biggest gripe, along with not having a single sleep-timer setting.
    I'm hoping that Santa might bring me a new tablet with a 7" screen which might have more memory.

On a slightly different tack - eInk would seem to be a very suitable technology for android based portable internet radios.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    I use a Hudl connected to my Sony HiFi by way of a cable plugged into the headphone socket. I use it to listen to Spotify. The sound quality is excellent.
    Thanks, it seems to be a very practical route.
    Might try one out soon as a stand-alone inet radio.
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roberts 93i.
  • Options
    radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bilsheene wrote: »
    Roberts Stream 93i successor to 83i which is still on sale.

http://www.whathifi.com/roberts/stream-93i/review

With Internet radios is it possible to choose different quality streams for stations ?

EG quasar radio has a 64k aac or 128k MP3 stream.
    http://www.quasarradio.uk/tune_in.html