Options

Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    lundo wrote: »
    I've got a personal grudge against everyone that made that programme. Anyway, I will say no more about your programme as I don't want to spoil it for you. Au revoir.

You're not spoiling it. Don't flatter yourself.
    But I'm still convinced you have a personal grudge against someone involved with CTM. Did one of the cast steal your boyfriend?
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older Jenny narrating device can still be used as I would imagine she'd still have been in contact with her old colleagues at Nonnatus... (haven't read the books).. and the character can always be written back in if visiting.. during a reunion ep or similar...

One of the usual devices... still in-universe but elsewhere off-screen...
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.;-) Figured as Jenny left there would not be any of her voice overs.:)

She'll stay in touch with everyone so know what's going on.
    The voice of mature Jenny (Vanessa Redgrave) will still narrate future series, as it was explained that she remained in contact with the staff at Nonnatus House and that she continued to share their stories with the world.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a556423/call-the-midwife-major-character-exits-in-emotional-series-3-finale.html
  • Options
    lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    You're not spoiling it. Don't flatter yourself.
    But I'm still convinced you have a personal grudge against someone involved with CTM. Did one of the cast steal your boyfriend?

Yes, it was that one who used to be Minty in EastEnders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I know it was much easier to adopt in the 1950s than now, but was it as simple as they made out in CTM? Application, followed by one assessment interview, followed by a letter of acceptance, followed by a phonecall to call around immediately and collect their new daughter? The whole process took a couple of months at the most.

Agreed, but there is a need for expediency when a series is only eight episodes long. The thing that that got to me is that the Turners' new daughter was taken from her 16-year-old mother's arms because her parents thought it best. The writers, having pointed that out as the Turners made their way to fetch the baby, may have plans that the mother will show up in series four to challenge them. It can't be all milk and honey for the Turners from now on. There would be no drama in that.

It put me in mind of one of the most heart rending episodes to date. When they took Mary's (the 15- year-old prostitute) daughter from her in series 1.

As a mother who nursed, I could barely watch as Jenny painfully bound Mary's breasts to stop her milk which was meant for her "Kat-leen". Amy McAllister was brilliant as Mary.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief.

Why some people waste so much and energy ranting about a programme they hate I'll never know.

Greatly amused by the fact people are now posting how much they like CTM on the new hate thread :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed, but there is a need for expediency when a series is only eight episodes long. The thing that that got to me is that the Turners' new daughter was taken from her 16-year-old mother's arms because her parents thought it best. The writers, having pointed that out as the Turners made their way to fetch the baby, may have plans that the mother will show up in series four to challenge them. It can't be all milk and honey for the Turners from now on. There would be no drama in that.

It put me in mind of one of the most heart rending episodes to date. When they took Mary's (the 15- year-old prostitute) daughter from her in series 1.

As a mother who nursed, I could barely watch as Jenny painfully bound Mary's breasts to stop her milk which was meant for her "Kat-leen". Amy McAllister was brilliant as Mary.

They didn't need to tie it up though. The storyline could have continued into the next series. The Sheelagh/Dr Turner romance was paced beautifully over two series and was wonderfully poignant because of that.
    I think that's the one thing that jarred with me this series. Some things were a bit rushed, and every episode was beautifully tied up with a ribbon by the end. The first series was much more sadly realistic and sometimes things just didn't work out for the characters. I'd like to see a bit more of that reality next series.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Good grief.

Why some people waste so much and energy ranting about a programme they hate I'll never know.

Greatly amused by the fact people are now posting how much they like CTM on the new hate thread :D

But what's the problem? Some people think 'amazing programme, can't wait to discuss it' others think 'utter rubbish, can't wait to discuss it'.

It's tiresome when super fans try to moderate what people can and can't say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »
    But what's the problem? Some people think 'amazing programme, can't wait to discuss it' others think 'utter rubbish, can't wait to discuss it'.

It's tiresome when super fans try to moderate what people can and can't say.

Well, to repeat what I said on the 'I Hate Call the Midwife' thread:

t's one thing to say you don't like a programme. It's another to say you've seen one episode out of three series of a programme that's had massive ratings, and on that basis are dismissing it as boring old rubbish that should be taken off the screen. It just sounds a bit daft.

I agree people can get very precious. Anyone who dared crticise the rape storyline on the Downton thread last year was absolutely rounded on by one or two OTT fans. But those criticisms were made by people who had been watching the programme for ages, not by people who'd seen a few minutes and just denounced the entire series.
  • Options
    Hypnos MetisHypnos Metis Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Why don't you call your thread 'Call the Midwife Series Three and yes there will unfortunately be a fourth series and most probably a smug Christmas special as the BBC want to spend all its cash ensuring viewers feel even more depressed on a Sunday night that normal Thread'.

I think that title would be too long.

But anyway, I don't mind the show - last night wasn't my favourite episode however, but I guess they had to tie up the loose ends for the end of the series.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has already been talked about if you read the whole thread.
    Don't people read through this thread, or at least some of it before they post on it? People keep asking again and again if there will be another series and other people keep replying that there will be. It gets a bit tedious when people keep on asking the same thing all the time.

Blimey, what an unfriendly thread.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not against people coming in the thread and saying they dislike a program - its a discussion thread after all.

But when you come to a thread where people on the whole really love the show simply to rant over and over and over again that a show is utter tripe, while insulting the people who work on the show and the people who watch it and then make your own hate thread, I can only conclude that instead of actually wanting to discuss with others why you don't like it/what doesn't work for you, you're simply looking for attention and trying to get a rise out of people.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone wants to rant about a show but I am certainly bemused by it. Its kind of a strange level of hatred to have after having only watched one episode!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    Good grief.

Because this poster is a "troll". Why so many CTM FMs have responded to him/her/it is beyond me. Perhaps they haven't had experience on other forums, where a troll is easily spotted and ignored. To answer them is like adding fuel to the fire. It's exactly what they want, as they sit there, feverishly, at their keyboard in their pyjamas in their digs in their parents' semi-finished basement. Trolls exist to create controversy. Ignore them.
  • Options
    lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Because this poster is a "troll". Why so many CTM FMs have responded to him/her/it is beyond me. Perhaps they haven't had experience on other forums, where a troll is easily spotted and ignored. To answer them is like adding fuel to the fire. It's exactly what they want, as they sit there, feverishly, at their keyboard in their pyjamas in their digs in their parents' semi-finished basement. Trolls exist to create controversy. Ignore them.

Hey, I'm no troll. Trolls don't say they will leave a thread to set up their own thread out of consideration for those who like the programme. Just because someone disagrees with you view of a programme doesn't mean they're doing it as a troll.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the troll has gone and set up a thread for themselves to fester in.;-)
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm no troll. Trolls don't say they will leave a thread to set up their own thread out of consideration for those who like the programme. Just because someone disagrees with you view of a programme doesn't mean they're doing it as a troll.

You keep coming back why?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, there's lots of programmes I've caught a glimpse of and haven't really enjoyed. But I've never started a thread about any of them, or jumped into the middle of an existing thread ranting about how awful they are. It just seems like a strange thing to do. Obviously people are going to criticise programmes, but they usually start from a place where they've actually been watching a series and have a real interest in it, or where they've seen the first episode and are discussing whether or not it indicates a good series ahead.
    They don't just watch the last episode of the third series and denounce the whole programme on that basis and start up a thread about how much they hate it.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has already been talked about if you read the whole thread.

There are 31 pages in this thread .I dont expect anyone joining in to read all 30 pages first before posting .Its not very welcoming
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They didn't need to tie it up though. The storyline could have continued into the next series. The Sheelagh/Dr Turner romance was paced beautifully over two series and was wonderfully poignant because of that.
    I think that's the one thing that jarred with me this series. Some things were a bit rushed, and every episode was beautifully tied up with a ribbon by the end. The first series was much more sadly realistic and sometimes things just didn't work out for the characters. I'd like to see a bit more of that reality next series.

Excellent point. Perhaps the producers of CTM weren't sure, until recently, that they would have another chance to flesh out the storyline for Shelagh and Doc Turner into another series. It seems hard to believe, as this series is a ratings winner. Why keep the writers/producers in suspense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »
    Because the lightbulb had gone?

Good one.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My great aunt and uncle adopted a little girl by just going to the orphanage and picking a child out.
    The child wasn't the perfect little angel they thought they were getting, so the took her back!!!! This was in the 1940's so earlier than CTM but how horrible is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My great aunt and uncle adopted a little girl by just going to the orphanage and picking a child out.
    The child wasn't the perfect little angel they thought they were getting, so the took her back!!!! This was in the 1940's so earlier than CTM but how horrible is that?

That's shocking! Things seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. Now it takes years of really intrusive interviewing and assessment to be cleared for adoption and the whole process can be seriously distressing. There needs to be a proper middle ground.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's shocking! Things seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. Now it takes years of really intrusive interviewing and assessment to be cleared for adoption and the whole process can be seriously distressing. There needs to be a proper middle ground.

Unless you are a celebrity.
  • Options
    newgrangenewgrange Posts: 368
    Forum Member

There was a terrible case relatively recently (2006) involving a child adopted to an Irish based couple, who they just left back to an orphanage in Indonesia as it 'wasn't working out' (!).

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/couple-ordered-to-pay-maintenance-for-abandoned-child-tristan-246080.html

Dreadful stuff. You wouldn't do it to a dog.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew my great uncle, but the great aunt was the meanest person I ever knew. She was always invited to family Christmases and was bought gifts by family members. One year my gift was a book mark which the church had given for free. Even as a 10 year old, taught to always respect older people I remember thinking how mean that was. Maybe the little girl had a lucky escape.