The CWG attendees thread

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
Forum Member
This is the thread for those who will be attending events at the games. I'm going for some athletics sessions including next Monday night for the men's and women's 100m finals. Anyone going to the opening or closing ceremonies?

Comments

• carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the opening Ceremony Party at Glasgow Green on Wednesday.
    On Thursday I was at Lawn Bowls, Weightlifting, Badminton ad then the festival club at the Old Fruitmarket. A really enjoyable 17 hour day!
    Went to a couple of Hockey matches on Friday and then it was time to head back home for work.
    I work in the holiday industry so can't take hols in July & August otherwise I would be in Glasgow for the duration.

It's not just the sport but there is loads of other stuff going on, most of it free and the atmosphere in town was amazing!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When and where are the Marathon's being run ?

I'd like to see something from the games live as opposed to on TV but am too mean to pay for a ticket !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better get a move on. Marathons are today at 9am!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Better get a move on. Marathons are today at 9am!

Bugger, that's that then.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flew up to Glasgow yesterday. Leaving now to watch marathon - then going to watch the athletics this afternoon & Rugby 7s this evening. Got more athletics Mon-Wed
  • billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to the daytime athletics sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday and also the cycling time trials on Thursday. Hoping to pick up more tickets, if possible, when in Glasgow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to the daytime athletics sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday and also the cycling time trials on Thursday. Hoping to pick up more tickets, if possible, when in Glasgow.

There were big queues at the ticket office in George Square on Friday but there seemed to be quite good availability in some sports.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Locals are tweeting that there's problems with local trains. How are things?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been some changes to accommodate the games traffic but that was inevitable. Nothing major I don't think and the worst will be over when the Marathons are done and the roads re-open.
    There are some long walks involved to get to and from some venues ( to get from the SECC to the station about 500 yards away involves crossing the river twice) but it all seemed to be working well when I was there.
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    There have been some changes to accommodate the games traffic but that was inevitable. Nothing major I don't think and the worst will be over when the Marathons are done and the roads re-open.
    There are some long walks involved to get to and from some venues ( to get from the SECC to the station about 500 yards away involves crossing the river twice) but it all seemed to be working well when I was there.
    Right thanks. All seems manageable then. I would like to have stayed longer but my friend wasn't happy about the rip off accommodation costs...well nor was I really but it seems like people are paying these extortionate prices.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day 2 in Glasgow. Yesterday was a very long day. Left Edinburgh at 8am and didn't get back until after midnight. Trains were totally crammed.

Really had to drag myself out of bed this morning but made made it back to Glasgow to catch some of the marathon. I'm now having some refreshments before going to the athletics.

Its my first time in Glasgow and I really need to come back for the weekend to have a proper look around as I've spent most of my time here walking between venues and queuing. Lots of queuing.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Day 2 in Glasgow. Yesterday was a very long day. Left Edinburgh at 8am and didn't get back until after midnight. Trains were totally crammed.

Really had to drag myself out of bed this morning but made made it back to Glasgow to catch some of the marathon. I'm now having some refreshments before going to the athletics.

Its my first time in Glasgow and I really need to come back for the weekend to have a proper look around as I've spent most of my time here walking between venues and queuing. Lots of queuing.
    How easy is it to find somewhere to say sit down for lunch or tea in Central Glasgow? What are queues like for food and drink at the venues? I still have nightmares about the stupid queues to fill empty plastic bottles and the ridiculous prices of the Coca Cola branded drinks in London. I've never seen so much whoring to big business where people weren't even allowed to drink what they wanted. It almost seemed like the security arrangements for liquids were a Coca Cola initiative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    How easy is it to find somewhere to say sit down for lunch or tea in Central Glasgow? What are queues like for food and drink at the venues? I still have nightmares about the stupid queues to fill empty plastic bottles and the ridiculous prices of the Coca Cola branded drinks in London. I've never seen so much whoring to big business where people weren't even allowed to drink what they wanted. It almost seemed like the security arrangements for liquids were a Coca Cola initiative.

Loads of pubs and the usual fast food chains in the city centre but the food options in the venues are very limited so I would make sure you eat before you go to an event.
    Forum Member
    Loads of pubs and the usual fast food chains in the city centre but the food options in the venues are very limited so I would make sure you eat before you go to an event.
    I see. I guess venue food would be overpriced anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I see. I guess venue food would be overpriced anyway.

Just paid £7 for a plastic burger at the Athletics. It wasn't good.
    Forum Member
    Just paid £7 for a plastic burger at the Athletics. It wasn't good.
    The Gods of event food at work again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally home. Totally exhausted but I had a fantastic weekend. So many highlights but I think the best was the Rugby 7s and how the crowd adopted Uganda. I had never even been to a live rugby match before as I'm more of a fan of the round ball game but I had a great time and will watch out for more 7s in the future. It's such a quick, fast scoring game and you get to see lots of matches in each session. The boxing was OK but not really my kind of thing and the athletics was great even though Mo wasn't there in the 5000m

The lowlights were the public transport, queues and venue food. The trains really couldn't cope with the demand. I ended up walking to Ibrox as the queue for the underground at Queen St was so long. If you are thinking of doing it then don't - it's further than it looks. Ibrox was bad enough but Hampden for the first session of the athletics yesterday was even worse (article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28513536). Why have an international stadium with only a tiny 2 platform station a mile away? At least the queues were all good natured and well marshalled by the police, rail staff and volunteers - I got talking to loads of people while standing around waiting to move.

Oh and, call me a misery, but I hate Mexican waves (or Weegie Waves as they have been renamed). They are such a distraction from the sport and the organisers shouldn't be encouraging them.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at Hampden this morning and the queue for the train from Glasgow Central was unbelievable. Decided to walk to Buchanan street instead where there were plenty of shuttle buses and virtually walked straight onto one.

Big queues for buses on the way back as well but there were so many of them it went down in no time at all.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    I'm arriving in Glasgow in the morning (flight from Luton) and going to Hampden in the morning - thanks for the tip about the train! I'll grab the bus at Buchanan St. Great advice.

I still have a spare for the swimming finals tomorrow evening. Row A. Please PM me if you would like it. I don't want any money for it.

Doing three events tomorrow. Boxing tom afternoon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at Hampden this morning and the queue for the train from Glasgow Central was unbelievable. Decided to walk to Buchanan street instead where there were plenty of shuttle buses and virtually walked straight onto one.

Big queues for buses on the way back as well but there were so many of them it went down in no time at all.

Looks like you made a wise decision taking the bus. The queue at Central Station was ridiculously long but at least it moved reasonably quickly. The problems started when you got not Mount Florida. It took me 2 hours to get from Central Station to my seat.

I left as soon as the 5000m finished in order to get to the station before the masses and it was still very busy though not as bad as on the way in. It does sound like things have been better today with more bus services laid on and they learned from some of the mistakes of yesterday.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shuttle buses are definitely the way to go for Hampden - tried to get a 'normal' bus but they were all full so ended up walking there today. But didn't have to queue long for the shuttle bus coming out.
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Shuttle buses are definitely the way to go for Hampden - tried to get a 'normal' bus but they were all full so ended up walking there today. But didn't have to queue long for the shuttle bus coming out.
    I was there last night (Monday). Saw the shuttle buses on the roads but didn't see where you got on them. Didn't get back to our suburban flat until after 1am. Mix up with the trains.

Logistics were awful for us. Got into every session over an hour late. Anyway back home in Derby now. Did a lot of riding on trains and walking.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's such a pity that the one thing that seems to bring a downer on what have been an exceptional games so far is bloomin public transport
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a pity that the one thing that seems to bring a downer on what have been an exceptional games so far is bloomin public transport

Yeah, it is a shame, had a great time, but the up to several times daily transport issues I encountered did exhust some of my enthusiasm, as well as my energy. I think they have been fortunate the media have not really scrutinised this (or have chosen to ignore it). Imagine if a balls up with shuttle buses had lead to more than half the spectators at an event having an hour walk at London 2012?! Would have been on the front page of every paper!

Still, in the end it's the good stuff you remember - good sport, great crowds, lovely atmosphere.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, problem with Glasgow is that apart from the bowls most of the venues tend to be a distance from the main public transport arteries.