Options

Israeli shell hits UN-run school killing 15 and injuring 200

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Yet another UNRWA school hit, killing 17 (10 children), injuring 70-90.

UNRWA spokesman, Chris Gunness, reports to BBC that the school location was communicated 17 times, but Israel still shelled the school. An estimated 97 UNRWA installations in Gaza have been damaged, many on multiple occasions.

An estimated 250,000+ displaced persons, 200,337 living in 82 UNRWA shelters. Many more are sheltering in relatives homes.

Latest stats: 1,283 dead and 7,170 wounded. UNRWA staff killed now at 5.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The UN are lying, apparently.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blame lies with Hamas
    Meanwhile the UN refugee agency expressed anger Tuesday night after it found a cache of rockets stashed at one of its schools in the Gaza Strip. This is the third time that rockets have been found in an UNRWA school in Gaza.
    "We condemn the group or groups who endangered civilians by placing these munitions in our school. This is yet another flagrant violation of the neutrality of our premises.

Disgusting behaviour from the Palestinian terrorists.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4552088,00.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meercam wrote: »

It is disgusting (although completely consistent with the way terrorist groups like Hamas operate), but it still doesn't alter the fact that the IDF have been targetting UN centres in breach of international law, and then have effectively accused the UN of lying by questioning their account of whether people were present when they did target these centres.

The correct course of action would be for Israel, when they have intelligence that Hamas is hiding rockets in designated buildings, to contact the UN and demand action. Not to effectively group the UN in with the enemy.

A cynical person might think that Israel has something to gain in causing the UN to leave Gaza.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    It is disgusting (although completely consistent with the way terrorist groups like Hamas operate), but it still doesn't alter the fact that the IDF have been targetting UN centres in breach of international law, and then have effectively accused the UN of lying by questioning their account of whether people were present when they did target these centres.

The correct course of action would be for Israel, when they have intelligence that Hamas is hiding rockets in designated buildings, to contact the UN and demand action. Not to effectively group the UN in with the enemy.

A cynical person might think that Israel has something to gain in causing the UN to leave Gaza.

Just because the school was hit by a shell doesn't mean it was intentionally targeted by the IDF. The shells from tanks aren't the most accurate things at the best times.

I'd agree they should be other options to hit Hamas rockets but that would mean "boots on the ground" which in turn would used by Hamas as an invasion by Israel.

Like all armed forces the aim is to minimize your own losses so they artillery to strike the bombs. Damned if they and damned if they don't.

Hamas know the consequences of putting rockets near schools but still choose to do so as their only concern is for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because the school was hit by a shell doesn't mean it was intentionally targeted by the IDF. The shells from tanks aren't the most accurate things at the best times.

I'd agree they should be other options to hit Hamas rockets but that would mean "boots on the ground" which in turn would used by Hamas as an invasion by Israel.

Like all armed forces the aim is to minimize your own losses so they artillery to strike the bombs. Damned if they and damned if they don't.

Hamas know the consequences of putting rockets near schools but still choose to do so as their only concern is for themselves.

I understand that, but the UN buildings are off-limits. No ifs, no buts -- any strikes on them are thoroughly unacceptable.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Hamas, and feel that the Palestinian civilians brought some of this on themselves for voting them in in the first place, but Israel as the civilised side of this should be behaving with rather more restraint.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »

And Israel went ahead and killed the Palestinians, regardless.

That behaviour by Israel is far worse - there's no excuse for it.
  • Options
    Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Israel just bombed a market where Palestinians were shopping; 15 killed:
    At least 15 people have been killed and 160 wounded in an Israeli strike that hit a market near Gaza City.

The explosion hit a busy fruit and vegetable market in Shejaiya, east of Gaza City, where hundreds of Palestinians were shopping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28571785
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://bbcwatch.org/2014/07/26/half-a-picture-half-a-story-how-the-bbc-compromises-its-own-impartiality-in-gaza/

"Correspondents say many people in Gaza were unaware the partial ceasefire had been called."

Who is responsible in Gaza for telling people there is a ceasefire ?

"However, it had warned that the truce would only apply to areas where Israeli soldiers were not currently operating, and it told residents not to return to areas they had previously been asked to evacuate."

Clearly they stated to evacuate areas where the IDF soldiers were not in operation.

Why was the area not evacuated ? What is the reason that information was not relayed to the people there ?

There so many questions as why it happened.
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://bbcwatch.org/2014/07/26/half-a-picture-half-a-story-how-the-bbc-compromises-its-own-impartiality-in-gaza/

"Correspondents say many people in Gaza were unaware the partial ceasefire had been called."

Who is responsible in Gaza for telling people there is a ceasefire ?

"However, it had warned that the truce would only apply to areas where Israeli soldiers were not currently operating, and it told residents not to return to areas they had previously been asked to evacuate."

Clearly they stated to evacuate areas where the IDF soldiers were not in operation.

Why was the area not evacuated ? What is the reason that information was not relayed to the people there ?

There so many questions as why it happened.
    the power plant has been hit. i suspect electricity is non existent w/out generators.

i thought israel was making surgical strikes, surely it knows if an area is empty or not ?

even with israels warning (and the gazans having nowhere to go) the attacks are war crimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wendy09 wrote: »
    the power plant has been hit. i suspect electricity is non existent w/out generators.

i thought israel was making surgical strikes, surely it knows if an area is empty or not ?

even with israels warning (and the gazans having nowhere to go) the attacks are war crimes.

Tanks can't see through wall even with thermal vision.

The area was meant to be evacuated. Can you tell me why Hamas has made it sure wasn't ?

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-
    28571785"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28571785[/URL]

Look at the map. Anywho clains they have nowhere to go is factually wrong.

The buffer zone is 3km and everyone has the chance to be outside it. They could go to IDF field hospitals if Hamas were not shooting them on the way.

Parts of Gaza have not even been effected by the strikes.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    't.

And Israel know what will happen if they bomb schools, and yet they still do it, because their only concern is for themselves. It seems that Palestinian civilian lives are expendable. You just have to look at the difference in casualties, 1300 in Gaza and less than 60 in Israel. Targeting civilian homes, schools and markets, is a war crime. We all know that Hamas are terrorists, but Israel are doing a fine job of terrorising the Palestinian population themselves. It's an absolute disgrace how the EU and the US turn a blind eye to their crimes.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »

The vast majority of the electricity in gaza is apparently generated in Israel, who effectively provide it free of charge as it is alleged that hamas do not pay the bills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    The vast majority of the electricity in gaza is apparently generated in Israel, who effectively provide it free of charge as it is alleged that hamas do not pay the bills.

They also provide water and telephone services.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    They also provide water and telephone services.

Well, that's big of them, isn't it? Considering they are the country that is blockading Gaza.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    http://www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/Israel-and-Palestine

Amnesty International are calling on the UK Government to stop the supply of arms to Israel."We must not facilitate war crimes"

I agree!

Please support Amnesty International, they do get results!

• Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I used to have sympathy with Israel over the rockets, but Israel's operation over the past few weeks has been absolutely disgusting. Israel is supposed to have one of the sophisticated military and observation systems in the world. They seem to have just been bombing anywhere which had suspected traces of Hamas, regardless if there are any innocent men, women and children inside those buildings.

Its about time the West stood up to Israel. We were quick enough to impose sanctions on Russia for its involvement with rebels and Ukraine. Yet we sit by and allow Israel to obliterate Gaza because a few Hamas militants were firing rockets in their direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Please support Amnesty International, they do get results!

Perhaps they want to stop the links with Qatar who house the Hamas leader also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's big of them, isn't it? Considering they are the country that is blockading Gaza.

well they could just as easily say sod you if they didn't give a toss about the Gazens
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of the Hamas apologists mention the Israelis killed.

It's about time that the UN did something about Hamas.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's tragic when schools and hospitals get hit but is there any evidence to suggest that they are deliberately being targetted regardless of knowing they'd be full of civilians seeking shelter?

How close was the "legitimate" target?

I ask because I've got a quote off the radio from a week or so ago ringing in my ears (I'll have to paraphrase it a bit...)

"the difference between Isreal and Hamas is that one uses missiles to shield the people from incoming rockets and the other uses people to shield it's rockets from incoming missiles"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Bolivia declares Israel a terrorist state.

Israel calls up 16,000 more reservists to add to the 86,000 already on the ground - it can do this because its enabler, US is resupplying Israel with ammunition even after condemning shelling of Gaza school.

Is the UK government checking these reservists passports too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems the various media out have not reported these IDF stories or mentioned them in any form. I do sense media bia towards Gaza.

in 2006 the IDF saved the live of a boy who had suicide vest strapped to his chest. They could have killed him on the spot but he shouted "I don't want to die" They defused the bomb and he lived. His mother said "If he were over 18, I might even encourage him to do it.". How wonderful of her.

In 2007 an IDF soldier saved a Palestinian girl when her family car was attacked by terrorists.

In the 2011 IDF soldiers saved of a pregnant women and her baby in the village of Fogel.
    A week before it had been attacked by a terrorist who killed 5 people.

In Febuary this year the IDF saved the lives of two expectant mothers. They went on later to give birth at the field hospital. Had it not been for the doctors the babies would have died.

In 2007 a woman was treated in an Israel hospital. She returned and tried to kill the doctor with a suicide vest. The IDF disarmed the bomb and saved her before it could used.

The IDF was one the forces to respond the Haiti deserter.

So I have serious doubts about their alleged "ethnic cleansing" You won't see these stories mentioned by Jon Snow or Bowen
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    The media has always felt pro-Israel, whether it tends to be or not. This current conflict however seems to be quite fair. I don't think anyone would be an apologist for Hamas. They are terrorists, but the way Israel have dealt with them they no longer have the high morale ground.

I do agree that Israel has the right to target Hamas. If Israel knows they are hiding in schools, UN buildings or near by - that's not a free pass to obliterate everything, knowing that you'll kill innocent men, women and children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Confirmed by an Italian reporter that the school was hit by a Hamas missile and they tried to blame Israel.

http://weaselzippers.us/194881-italian-reporter-after-leaving-gaza-confirms-it-was-a-hamas-rocket-that-hit-school-playground/

The BBC, C4 etc again not even bothering to check their facts.