Options

Reccomendd films or tv shows that show gangsters rise to power in detail?

crabstercrabster Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Can anyone reccomend to me some films or TV shows which show mobsters at the early stage of forming their gangs right through to when they become all powerful?

I loved the part of Once Upon a Time in America which focused on their teen years, but then it skipped to them being at the top.

Same with the Godfather 2.

I love the Black Donnellys but then that got cancelled after one series. If that had carried on it would have been perfect.

It seems the majority of films just show a montage for the "rise" part of their careers.

So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodfellas
    Scarface
    To Be Number One
  • Options
    tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Bonded by Blood- story of the Essex boys.
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it for a few years, but i'm sure this film is on those lines - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/
  • Options
    ApolloniaApollonia Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    whoops double post
  • Options
    ApolloniaApollonia Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    The Gangser Chronicles
    Watched this years ago and it was very good, might even watch it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Krays is a really good film. Very dark and not easy to watch but fascinating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    A Prophet - stunning film
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rise Of The Footsoldier is pretty good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    romanzo criminale, superb account of the rise of an italian gang in the seventies and eighties based on real life events, just finished series one on sky arts. obvious but boardwalk empire is great, rise of the foot solider is good but veers off into essex boys mode for the last part of the movie, i always liked the business featuring tamar hussain and danny dyer, good potryal of costa del sol gangster types.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ganster No.1
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinshed wrote: »
    Bonded by Blood- story of the Essex boys.

Rise Of The Footsoldier is along the same lines and is better i'd say.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Bronx Tale is pretty good. not quite what you are after, but good from the point of view of a young lad getting involved.
  • Options
    SarlaccSarlacc Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    American gangster fits pretty well into that category. Pretty underrated imo.
  • Options
    LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about films but if you haven't already seen it then starting with The Wire can never be a bad thing!

Covers pretty much everything from the rise to the fall. You also see in detail the lives of the "soldiers" and how/if they rise through the game.
    This famous scene from Season 1 says it all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HUlTKvDUI
    "the king stay the king!!!"

Also Season 4 focuses on a group of young boys as their childhood is coming to an end (way earlier than it should be:() and as you watch the season you see how their lives pan out: If they make it out of the streets or wether they succumb to the gang culture. Its amazing.
  • Options
    crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey

thanks everyone for the suggestions..Some I have seen, some I have never heard of so will check them out.

Always planned to watch the Wire. Does anyone know if the UK DVD is the full uncut version (e.g. same as US version). Or is it cut like the Shield UK DVD box set?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncut.

Un Prophet is a very good film.
  • Options
    LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crabster wrote: »
    Hey

thanks everyone for the suggestions..Some I have seen, some I have never heard of so will check them out.

Always planned to watch the Wire. Does anyone know if the UK DVD is the full uncut version (e.g. same as US version). Or is it cut like the Shield UK DVD box set?

Sky Atlantic begin repeating The Wire from the first episode tonight from 10.15. Don't have SkyA though so not sure how they are for making cuts and add breaks (add breaks were the worst thing about watching it on FX)

One thing I will add is that The Wire isn't structured like most TV series in that there are no cliff hangers and it is slow paced, which is what makes it so brilliant and addictive but at first it took me a minute to adjust to the change so was about episode 3 before I personally started to get it. Think if I had known that it was a wee bit different from the norm before hand I would have adjusted quicker .....or at least that is what I like to tell myself anyway and not that I was slow on the uptake ;)

Incredible show!!!!!!
  • Options
    widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Mobsters" (1991) starring Christian Slater is about the rise of Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky in the fledgling American mafia.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ganster No.1

:) I'll second that.Truly terrifying.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Witness to the Mob is a superb made-for-TV movie about the rise of John Gotti.

Tom Sizemore as John Gotti in one of his finest roles.