Options

How much do soap stars earn?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering what a soap star wage is like? And assume bigger stars will get more than others?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they definitely earn more then you and me.

I think in EE the best/most valued actors like Steve Mcfadden, June Brown etc all get 300K plus a year. Nobody charcters like the moons probably still make around 100K.

I wonder if child actors get paid??:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Rocket562 wrote: »

I think in EE the best/most valued actors like Steve Mcfadden, June Brown etc all get 300K plus a year. Nobody charcters like the moons probably still make around 100K.

They do, Nat Cassidy was talking about it when she was in CBB. She says she doesn't worry about money as she has always had so much from a young age- Eastenders
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocket562 wrote: »

Wow that's not too bad really!
  • Options
    Hollywood1989Hollywood1989 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The likes of Pam St Clement and June Brown are on something like 300million.
  • Options
    Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member

What, per year? Why did Pam quit :D
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

eh??? 300k you mean.
  • Options
    Hollywood1989Hollywood1989 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eh??? 300k you mean.

Yes, sorry:p
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry:p
    Was gonna say, If that was me, I would be there for a year and it would be a plane to America and Adios forever, you wouldn't see me for dust.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,291
    Forum Member
    Ray Meagher gets half a million a year for saying "Stone the flamin' crows"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    It really annoys me to hear the kind of wages these individuals get per episode, week month or year. BBc channels are funded by the Tax Payer and we dont have a choice b ut pay a fee towards the TV channel yet wages are hidden?? other public sector jobs wages are told. When doctors and Nurses work hard to support and care for the uk population and are paid the least amount in wages. I feel that the NHS should make individuals purchase health care cover and make it a Law. Than maybe these workers will get a good salary too.,
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,399
    Forum Member
    Mo shazad wrote: »
    It really annoys me to hear the kind of wages these individuals get per episode, week month or year. BBc channels are funded by the Tax Payer and we dont have a choice b ut pay a fee towards the TV channel yet wages are hidden?? other public sector jobs wages are told. When doctors and Nurses work hard to support and care for the uk population and are paid the least amount in wages. I feel that the NHS should make individuals purchase health care cover and make it a Law. Than maybe these workers will get a good salary too.,

I don't want the cast of ee to know how much I earn so what gives me the right of knowin what they earn. It's their wage their business.
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ehh.... doctors (in particular) and nurses are well paid, its more the support staff, auxilliary staff etc that arnt
    agreed soap start earn more than what is 'fair' - but then, the same could be said for footballers etc....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rapunzel4 wrote: »
    ehh.... doctors (in particular) and nurses are well paid, its more the support staff, auxilliary staff etc that arnt
    agreed soap start earn more than what is 'fair' - but then, the same could be said for footballers etc....

This is it in my view though, a lot of sports stars earn lots more for running about in a field. The emergency services earn a lot less, which in my view is disgusting because their jobs are a lot more worthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is likely an urban myth but i heard if an extra utter a single word they get a minimum £50 . if u watch, particularly in EE, marie in the caff is practically mute. tracy gets the very occasional line, instances where someone would normally say 'thanks' etc are just left with them saying nothing
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

It's a different ball game. Actors have no job security and no pension, and I say that as someone who's retired from the NHS.

I begrudge it to the likes of Jonathan Ross who was getting millions a year for one show a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    this is likely an urban myth but i heard if an extra utter a single word they get a minimum £50 . if u watch, particularly in EE, marie in the caff is practically mute. tracy gets the very occasional line, instances where someone would normally say 'thanks' etc are just left with them saying nothing

Extras do get more if they speak because they are than acting. Extras don't act, they just stand in the background trying to get a glimpse of whats going on in the scene without the director catching them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also something like 97% of actors at any one time are said to be unemployed
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    It's a different ball game. Actors have no job security and no pension, and I say that as someone who's retired from the NHS.

I begrudge it to the likes of Jonathan Ross who was getting millions a year for one show a week.

Exactly, I have some actor friends who've had to leave the profession because they weren't making enough money, and one who has stuck it out, has won a Best Actress award, worked on TV and at the National Theatre, but who has to take the odd stint in a call centre aand can't get a mortgage etc.

The soaps offer steady money, but it's not a doddle, you have to get up early and work hard. Harder than a lot of office jobs.

The ewards are great for the very few, but why do you think sso many actors take crap roles, do embarrassing adverts and panel shows? They're skint a lot of the time, and don't know when they'll next be working. It could all end tomorrow.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbours stars get paid poorly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    They might not get as much as the Hollywood elite, but long-term soap actors get a much steadier wage than most actors, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cant really compare footballers wages to doctors/nurses and eastenders stars because football players are paid by a private company. Grahem norton and jeremy clarkson are horribly overpaid for the work they do
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I think the individual star negotiates a flat fee for their contract length, sort of like a basic wage, then they get a fee of about £350 per episode on top of that and a guaranteed number of episodes is agreed at contract negotiation time. More established stars will have a higher basic fee than less established ones. So an established star appearing in fewer Eps than a less established star who appears in a lot of Eps might get paid more over the course of their contract.
    It all varies.
    I think the average regular actor in soap earns about the same as a Bank Manager.
    Non speaking Extras get approx £70 per episode plus approx £25 on top if they say a word or two. But ITV rates are different to BBC rates etc.

Extra's pay is on a scale - walk on 1 rate, walk on 2 rate and walk on 3 rate. Then there's more if they film at night or on a Bank Holiday, and less if there are more than 40 Extras in a scene - it's all very complicated.
    Then someone who plays a 'bit part' rather than being an Extra with a few words to say will get paid more than a speaking Extra. I read about it on the Equity website some time ago and it explained it all. But I've forgotten most of it now.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,740
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Ray Meagher gets half a million a year for saying "Stone the flamin' crows"

I came in to post about Ray Meagher!! He is the third highest paid TV star in Australia. I read somewhere as well before that if you win a Gold Logie, you get a payrise. Kate Ritchie must have been on mega bucks too
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading the longer serving actors of a soap are paid a set wage, no matter how many SL or scenes they have they will always get paid the same each year. So these people are ones who have been around for along time
    CS - Rita, Ken,Emily, Dedrie, Audrey, Gail, poss Kevin and Sally, Steve.
    EE - Phil, Ian, (June and Pat when around) poss now Kat and Alfie.

Others are then paid depending on how many SL and scenes they have, the more they do the more money they get. In this article the actor who played Jim McDonald said that everybody thought actors were wealthy, but actors like him only got paid when they had a SL and big names got a steady income.

Hope that all makes sense!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member

Well it is the other way around. The script is written and signed off and the cast is assembled based on the script. If there's someone new, never before seen, who comes in with plenty of dialogue, they hire a guest actor to come in and act that part and say those lines. (The script writer is limited as to how many acting parts they can include in their script, due to the programme's budget.)

The extras are totally separate. They are hired separately and even directed separately. Extras aren't mentioned in the script.

If there's someone who is mentioned in the script but without dialogue, that would be a featured extra. They would be paid more than a standard extra as they actually have to perform an action based on a directive given in the script. e.g. A hospital orderly might have to wheel in a main character in a wheel chair in a hospital scene.