Options

How fast is your Internet Connection?

Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ping=45ms
Download=3.5mbps
Upload 0.85mbps

I am on the TalkTalk unlimited essentials package and am ment to get up to 14mbps!! What a joke.

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/02xj0e0bd6691y4/Internet%20Speed%20Test.png

Ping: 15ms
    Download: 76.56mbps - 9.57MBps
    Upload: 16.27mbps - 2.03MBps
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Ping=45ms
    Download=3.5mbps
    Upload 0.85mbps

I am on the TalkTalk unlimited essentials package and am ment to get up to 14mbps!! What a joke.

if only life were so simple.

how far are you from your exchange? what's your attenuation? what's your internal wiring setup and where are your filters? have you removed the ring wire?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The operative words here are "up to". The "up to" speed is what you would get in ideal conditions. ie when your house backs onto the exchange and you have about 3m of cable into the ADSL kit it contains.

Add in some real world copper cable and a bit of distance between you and the exchange and the speed can soon drop off. Though not 100% accurate try sticking your details into here

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

and see what it returns as the likely performance. If it says you should be getting significantly higher speeds then there could be a problem.

First things to do are eliminate your internal wiring. So make sure any and all extensions are using filters on any phone, FAX, Sky box or whatever plugged into them. An unfiltered phone can affect speed.

Also check the cabling for signs of damage (though often you get crackling on the phone if there is).

If you have an NTE5 type master socket where your router is connected then try lifting off the removeable face plate and plug into the test socket that is revealed. That connects direct to the incoming line and isolates your house wiring. If you get a speed hike on there then something in you house wiring is affecting things.

While the plate is off have a look on the reverse side at the terminals where the extensions are wired. Remove any wires on terminals 3 and 4. leave just 2 and 5 connected. Also remove 3 and 4 at the extensions as well. These wires are often not needed but can pick up interference that gets onto the line affecting broadband performance.

Once you have eliminated your internal wiring there is not much else you can do as what is left is down to TalkTalk.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2106380901.png

Ping: 11ms
    Download: 37.91mbps
    Upload: 8.33mbps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if only life were so simple.

how far are you from your exchange? what's your attenuation? what's your internal wiring setup and where are your filters? have you removed the ring wire?

I'm about 619 meters from the exchange. My filters are at the main telephone point (where the router is plugged in), and behind the Sky Box. Yes, I have removed the ring wire. Also, I can't find out the Attenuation because my Huawei router doesn't let you access it's control panel as it needs a reset.

I can go to cmd and ping it but just can't access it in a browser as it times out.

I used to get even worse speeds with Virgin (1.5mbps) about 4 years ago :eek:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The operative words here are "up to". The "up to" speed is what you would get in ideal conditions. ie when your house backs onto the exchange and you have about 3m of cable into the ADSL kit it contains.

Add in some real world copper cable and a bit of distance between you and the exchange and the speed can soon drop off. Though not 100% accurate try sticking your details into here

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

and see what it returns as the likely performance. If it says you should be getting significantly higher speeds then there could be a problem.

First things to do are eliminate your internal wiring. So make sure any and all extensions are using filters on any phone, FAX, Sky box or whatever plugged into them. An unfiltered phone can affect speed.

Also check the cabling for signs of damage (though often you get crackling on the phone if there is).

If you have an NTE5 type master socket where your router is connected then try lifting off the removeable face plate and plug into the test socket that is revealed. That connects direct to the incoming line and isolates your house wiring. If you get a speed hike on there then something in you house wiring is affecting things.

While the plate is off have a look on the reverse side at the terminals where the extensions are wired. Remove any wires on terminals 3 and 4. leave just 2 and 5 connected. Also remove 3 and 4 at the extensions as well. These wires are often not needed but can pick up interference that gets onto the line affecting broadband performance.

Once you have eliminated your internal wiring there is not much else you can do as what is left is down to TalkTalk.

I know it's a con.

I was considering switching to LLU but will first eliminate any issues with internal wiring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rebooted the router and got this:

http://speedtest.net/result/2106418252.png
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you're unable to post the router's stats page the only help I can think of is to plug the router into the test socket with absolutely nothing else plugged in....no telephone no Sky box etc.

Then run another speedtest and post back the results

Edit : which Huawei router is it ?......is that standard TT issue ?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Earake wrote: »
    As you're unable to post the router's stats page the only help I can think of is to plug the router into the test socket with absolutely nothing else plugged in....no telephone no Sky box etc.

you can only have one thing plugged in to the test socket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »

Edit : which Huawei router is it ?......is that standard TT issue ?

Huawei HG520b
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ping: 10ms
    Download: 50.28Mbps
    Upload: 4.80Mbps

Upto 50Mb package. Getting free upgrade early next year to 120Mb.
    Virgin Media broadband has always been very good in my area, since Telewest back in year 2001.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ping: 5ms
    D/L: 62.96Mbps
    U/L: 2.91Mbps

I'm waiting on Virgin to double my upload from the current 3Mbps to the 6Mbps it's supposed to be. Will be handy for uploading photo albums to SkyDrive for sharing.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ping:19
    Download:51.4
    Upload:2.91

Running a bit slow today I normally get a download about 61/62, but understand Virgin have a problem in my area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Ping: 10ms
    Download: 50.28Mbps
    Upload: 4.80Mbps

Upto 50Mb package. Getting free upgrade early next year to 120Mb.
    Virgin Media broadband has always been very good in my area, since Telewest back in year 2001.

Wish I could get cable :(

Will probably switch to LLU.
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One other item, other than the router, but that could be any telephony item.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No splitters then? :confused:
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Ping 38ms
    Download: 4.49mbit
    Upload: 0.88mbit

Not great, but good enough for streaming HD and its unlimited so could be a lot worse.

No Infinity available, which is a shame as my parents have it and they are on the same exchange. Cabletel/NTL had a half-hearted go at cabling the area up a few years ago but the ducting seems to stop about 20m from my place (new estate so none of it is covered). :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Ping 38ms
    Download: 4.49mbit
    Upload: 0.88mbit

Not great, but good enough for streaming HD and its unlimited so could be a lot worse.

No Infinity available, which is a shame as my parents have it and they are on the same exchange. Cabletel/NTL had a half-hearted go at cabling the area up a few years ago but the ducting seems to stop about 20m from my place (new estate so none of it is covered). :(

I think Cumbria is getting Infinity at the end of this year (my exchange, Dalton-in-Furness is anyway).
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity is bloody awesome! Getting this when plugged in to the router :)
    Ping: 21ms
    Down: 70
    Up: 15
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity is bloody awesome! Getting this when plugged in to the router :)
    Ping: 21ms
    Down: 70
    Up: 15

:eek: Splutters Coke on laptop

I wish I could get those speeds :(
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Ping - 72ms
    Down - 1.62
    Up - 0.32

Speed demon! LOL To be fair it's got quicker in the 3 years I have lived here - used to be only 1.2 down and now with a following wind I can get up to 2.2
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ping 75 ms
    download 6.86
    upload 0.36

more than fast enough for me on ADSL ... most of my time connected to net has been at dialup speeds & right now I see cable speeds as just a little OTT silly
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ping : 24ms
    download 20.01mbps
    upload 1.13 mbps

Virgin in Plymouth
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can download at 1.3MBs a second.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Up to 24MB (Eircom Next-Gen Broadband - got a free upgrade a few months ago as I'm such a good customer :D). I'm away at the moment so I'll post stats when I go home. It'll be the end of August before I post stats tho.