Options

Why did BBC News show the April Jones funeral?

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
I presume Sky did too, but I only knew of it when Newswatch received a complaint because, at the same time, the rolling news ticker happened to feature a couple of child abuse stories.

But why show the funeral? That's a family thing, surely?

And some Sky News evening coverage I saw was quite disasteful, making it sound like you could simply die due to LIVING in the town, whereas it was simply a murder by an evil man who is now locked away.

And don't get me started on "A nation mourns"...

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I presume Sky did too, but I only knew of it when Newswatch received a complaint because, at the same time, the rolling news ticker happened to feature a couple of child abuse stories.

But why show the funeral? That's a family thing, surely?

And some Sky News evening coverage I saw was quite disasteful, making it sound like you could simply die due to LIVING in the town, whereas it was simply a murder by an evil man who is now locked away.

And don't get me started on "A nation mourns"...

It was a public event. As far as I am aware there was no request from the family not to show it.It was on Sky, ITV and C5 as well so why do you only complain about the BBC ?
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It was a public event. As far as I am aware there was no request from the family not to show it.It was on Sky, ITV and C5 as well so why do you only complain about the BBC ?

Spot on.

The child's funeral was a national news story, and the BBC coverage was neither overblown, nor disrespectful to the family.

(I cant say anything for others coverage, as I only saw the BBC's.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same goes for all news channels. I said I only saw it being on the BBC, via Newswatch.

An RAF air show is a public event. Glastonbury is a public event. A funeral should be a time for family and close friends, not a place to invite the media. That is distasteful, I find.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a public event as much for people in the local area as for the family and they presumably they wanted people outside the area to be able see the funeral because of the amount of support that the family received.

I think that, as is normal, the actual internment was not shown.

It's quite likely that pictures from inside the church were pooled.

I am sure that if the family had wanted a private service then they could have had it and the media as well as people of Machynlleth would have respected their wishes.

It seemed a very local affair, the streets of the town centre looked quite empty which suggests local people were up around the church.

By the way, I thought I saw the Sky satellite truck in the background of one shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So by your logic the BBC would not have shown Diana's funeral or that of Lady Thatcher, they would have been confined to close family and friends ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question really being asked I assume is "why do the media cover events like the April Jones funeral?".

Pointing accusing fingers at the BBC just looks petty.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So by your logic the BBC would not have shown Diana's funeral or that of Lady Thatcher, they would have been confined to close family and friends ?

Those were national figures, there's a big difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Those were national figures, there's a big difference.

No difference, the OP feels funerals should be private affairs limited to close family so presumably would apply the same argument to the demise of a public figure (or is it OK with public figures but not private individuals). April had become a public figure by default in any case through no fault of her family.An event in a public place with (as far as we know) no request for privacy from the family. If broadcasters had ignored such a request that would be a different matter but there's no evidence they did.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funeral was NOT shown. A service of celebration of a young life and a memorial to her was what you saw. The funeral was private.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They were public figures. Personally, I wouldn't put either on show. I can see why Diana's would be a ratings draw. As for Thatcher, she can burn in hell for what she did to the country.

April Jones was a young girl who was sadly abducted by a man in his late 40s, murdered and now he is behind bars and not saying where her body is. It's the kind of story that the media lap up because, like with Madeleine McCann and the two girls in Soham, the death of any doe-eyed girls sells papers and attracts quite a lot of odd individuals to gawp at every last second of coverage.
    The question really being asked I assume is "why do the media cover events like the April Jones funeral?".

Pointing accusing fingers at the BBC just looks petty.

I wasn't. You're not following this, are you?
    The funeral was NOT shown. A service of celebration of a young life and a memorial to her was what you saw. The funeral was private.

Well, this is what I'm trying to establish. I only watched Newswatch. I didn't see any live news on Thursday morning, on the account of being in work.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

They were high profile people and public figures though. Big difference! Sky showed the funeral too, I saw it just as I was leaving the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were high profile people and public figures though. Big difference! Sky showed the funeral too, I saw it just as I was leaving the house.

You didn't see the funeral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the OP is complaining about the BBC not Sky.About half the population watched Diana's funeral on the BBC which would seem to suggest the public were very interested in it and not offended by broadcasting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the OP is complaining about the BBC not Sky.

See post 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But the OP is complaining about the BBC not Sky.About half the population watched Diana's funeral on the BBC which would seem to suggest the public were very interested in it and not offended by broadcasting it.

I know. I watched Diana's funeral but not by choice. I was 7 and my parents made me watch it as they thought it was "history" :rolleyes: They even taped it in case I wanted to watch it when I grew up. I'm 23 now and I've not wanted to watch it and I have no intention of watching it.
    alves wrote: »
    You didn't see the funeral.

I thought it was the funeral they were showing. I only saw it as I was getting ready to leave for college.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See post 4.

So in fact your issue with the BBC was what was on the ticker not the actual funeral ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in fact your issue with the BBC was what was on the ticker not the actual funeral ?

No. Your level of comprehension is appalling. Try re-reading the thread. It's not that difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Your level of comprehension is appalling. Try re-reading the thread. It's not that difficult.

Post # 10, if correct, seems to answer your point.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The television showed the procession. This is an evil crime that revolts most of the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The television showed the procession. This is an evil crime that revolts most of the country.

Now you're jumping on the "A nation mourns" bandwagon.

Sure, it revolts everyone who learns of what happened, but does it stop them all going about their daily business? No.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funeral is part of the overall incident so as long as there was permission, I can't see the harm.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funeral is part of the overall incident so as long as there was permission, I can't see the harm.

The family also were raising money to sponsor a child of the same age in Africa so probably wanted coverage to help that and hopefully the media and press contributed to the appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »

I thought they showed a bit of the church service as well? That's the bit I saw as I was getting ready to leave.
  • Options
    wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Not sure why nit was on all news channels, not everyone wants to see it, in fact first time I heard about her
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Bit of a fail by the OP, this.