TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
Forum Member
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-dvd-pre-orders-open-already-58368.htm

ffs they haven't even finished filming the first episode

Comments

• excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But have you read some of the reviews for it.

Anyone in any doubt about Peter Capaldi as the squiddleteenth Doctor need have no fears!

When I ordered this I was delighted to discover that thanks to the timey-wimey nature of Royal Mail, I actually recevied the complete series before it had even been filmed.

"It was sheer genius to bring back the [spoilers] Zarbi - looking gloriously retro chic - and to pit them against an army of Melkurs was inspired.

Capaldi's rich Scottish accent might be off-putting for some, so it's great to see each story so skilfully subtitled - just think of how much we would have missed without the translation of the Doctor's ironic question to the Emperor Dalek: "Whaur's the cludgie?" And in the 5th episode (so clearly a tribute to the Third Doctor era) we would have been totally lost without the subtitle for: "Goad a'michty! Ma dampt hoovercraft's breemin' ower wi bluiddy eyls!"

This is a promising debut for the new Doctor, who works especially well with the lovely Clara and the new companion Troels (who already looks good in that swimsuit!)... a real burst of Nordic phwoar!

;-)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Review written.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would you want to pre order something thats not even been filmed yet?

Id preorder if the dvd came out before the series got aired but seems a but silly.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I haven't bought a box set since season 4/the specials. Will have to see if season 8's worth owning.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I haven't bought a box set since season 4/the specials. Will have to see if season 8's worth owning.
    I try to judge on a mental score system of whether there are more episode's than bad as each episode passes, and to date own every box set as a result of that. Thing's (particularly arcs) has gone downhill since moffat took over but there are still more good individual episodes than bad in each series. The only difference being that in moffat times, for me, there's only just more good than bad, whereas in rusell t davies times, it was comfortably more good than bad.

For me, I feel I will know the show is dead in the water if ever the day comes when there are so many terrible episodes that the current series as a whole is not worth owning. A day I hope never comes. Am actually hoping for a return to form like the glory day's of series 1-4 for capaldi, but uncertain it will happen
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only box set I haven't got is The Specials. Will one day I'm sure as I'm quite fond of The Next Doctor and Waters of Mars is very decent. But that is a less than 50 percent strike rate episode wise. All of the others ...well over for me so were must haves. Be surprised if Series 8 bucks that trend...but am still not going to preorder it when we're not even a month into filming. That's silly, to quote Leela!
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to judge on a mental score system of whether there are more episode's than bad as each episode passes, and to date own every box set as a result of that. Thing's (particularly arcs) has gone downhill since moffat took over but there are still more good individual episodes than bad in each series. The only difference being that in moffat times, for me, there's only just more good than bad, whereas in rusell t davies times, it was comfortably more good than bad.

For me, I feel I will know the show is dead in the water if ever the day comes when there are so many terrible episodes that the current series as a whole is not worth owning. A day I hope never comes. Am actually hoping for a return to form like the glory day's of series 1-4 for capaldi, but uncertain it will happen

Why did you post this. There was no need to post about how the series has gone downhill in a thread that had nothing to do with that. Mullet's comment was fair enough, but this mostly has nothing to do with the Series 8 box set, just personal opinion, which for some people can be seen as infuriating (especially with that glory days comment).

Sorry, but there's no need for doommongering in what could have been a light-hearted thread.
    Forum Member
    Why did you post this. There was no need to post about how the series has gone downhill in a thread that had nothing to do with that. Mullet's comment was fair enough, but this mostly has nothing to do with the Series 8 box set, just personal opinion, which for some people can be seen as infuriating (especially with that glory days comment).

Sorry, but there's no need for doommongering in what could have been a light-hearted thread.
    wasn't meaning to be too harsh, just saying why/how I decide to buy boxset's as this was a thread about a new boxset and my opinion of the overall nature of the series crept into that
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    wasn't meaning to be too harsh, just saying why/how I decide to buy boxset's as this was a thread about a new boxset and my opinion of the overall nature of the series crept into that

Yes, I didn't see it as doom-mongering at all. You were just stating your rationale for whether you buy a boxset or not and said that you do so even when you think the series may have been uneven.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    To be honest no thread on DS would be complete without someone banging on about what an awful job Moffat is doing so it's probably best to get it over and done with on page 1 and now someone else can go off on one about people relentlessly defending him, etc etc more rice pudding etc etc
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are jumping the gun a lot, by doing this! It's not going to be shown until late August at the very earliest. May even be the middle of September. Plus, I read online a couple of weeks ago, that the logo is going to be different, with the 'DW' bit left out this time.

I've also heard that Capaldi's Doctor is supposed to be getting a new Sonic Screwdriver. Apparently, the one that River Song had in Silence In The Library back in 2008.

This picture shows PC's Doc with a different logo, no 'DW', holding River's future Screwdriver:

http://i1.wp.com/unrealitytv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/peter-capaldi-doctor-who.jpg

I think that Amazon should take the s8 DVD Box Set page down, suspending pre-orders until at least July. Usually, amazon won't let anyone review a DVD until the product has been released. So the 'fake' reviews will eventually go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to pre order something thats not even been filmed yet?

Id preorder if the dvd came out before the series got aired but seems a but silly.

There is a modicum of sense, inasmuch as I believe when you pre-order on Amazon, you're guaranteed the best possible price. So whether the price goes up or down, you're definitely not going to be paying a penny over £36.75 (plus P&P) and you might even stand to get it for less.

Only a modicum of sense, mind! I'm certain I'll get Capaldi's first series on DVD at some point and yet I'm not pre-ordering it.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    They are jumping the gun a lot, by doing this! It's not going to be shown until late August at the very earliest. May even be the middle of September. Plus, I read online a couple of weeks ago, that the logo is going to be different, with the 'DW' bit left out this time.

I've also heard that Capaldi's Doctor is supposed to be getting a new Sonic Screwdriver. Apparently, the one that River Song had in Silence In The Library back in 2008.

This picture shows PC's Doc with a different logo, no 'DW', holding River's future Screwdriver:

http://i1.wp.com/unrealitytv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/peter-capaldi-doctor-who.jpg

I think that Amazon should take the s8 DVD Box Set page down, suspending pre-orders until at least July. Usually, amazon won't let anyone review a DVD until the product has been released. So the 'fake' reviews will eventually go.

I don't think they need to suspend orders. The cover clearly states tbc on it. You don't pay for preorders until they are ready to send out plus if the price drops after you preorder you get it for a cheaper price. Amazon has had game of thrones series 3 up for preorder up since about may time and yet its not out till next month so its not the first time amazon have put up something that isn't due out for at least 9 months down the line..
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon in my experience puts things out for pre order months in advance. I am genuinely surprised that people didn't know this. Amazon puts something up for pre order when a product is confirmed not when filming has finished. Amazon put up Sherlock series 3 DVD months in advance of its release.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member

Actually, Amazon don't stop people reviewing unreleased products- people were doing the fake reviews for Sherlock as well.

Don't get me wrong, it's funny but that kind of stuff belongs on a forum, not on people wanting to see whether a certain product is suitable. It's not simply just the content of the series that people review but the DVD itself.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Since it's definitely coming out and I'm definitely going to buy it when it does (I've bought all the others) I don't have a problem with it being up for pre-order. My only problem is that if I pre-order it now I'll probably forget that I pre-ordered it and end up pre-ordering it again closer to the time.

It wouldn't be the first time I've ended up with two copies of something due to accidentally ordering it twice :D
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 7 dvd wasnt available this early. has anyone preordered it yet
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Since it's definitely coming out and I'm definitely going to buy it when it does (I've bought all the others) I don't have a problem with it being up for pre-order. My only problem is that if I pre-order it now I'll probably forget that I pre-ordered it and end up pre-ordering it again closer to the time.

It wouldn't be the first time I've ended up with two copies of something due to accidentally ordering it twice :D

Glad I'm not the only one to have done that...!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I really should write my own review for this.

What do you mean the episodes haven't aired yet?
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member

To be fair, he was talking about the criteria he uses for judging whether to by the box sets and an observation he has made for the two showrunners era's seasons that influences that decision.

He never said Moffatt's era was crap. He did state that in the Moffs times there are still more good than bad, but that in his opinion he feels marginally less so than RTD.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member

What's that (the bit I've now put in a spoiler box) got to do with how early you can pre-order series eight?

Thanks for slipping a spoiler in a thread about something else entirely! Please keep spoilers in the spoiler thread or clearly labelled as such. I don't want to have to avoid this forum from now till the Autumn.
    Forum Member

Is there any confirmation of this or just speculation. I really, really, hope it's true as we it would prove we were finally going to get the last piece (derillium) of river's story, and it would finally make sense why she had a screwdriver like that in the library as it looked so like david tennant's so almost seemed like a mess up when matt smith's was so different. pleeeease be true
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pic looks rather photoshopped, and the costume's wrong, so I think the it's just a (very good!) fan-made thing. Nothing to set much store by, regrettably!
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    The pic looks rather photoshopped, and the costume's wrong, so I think the it's just a (very good!) fan-made thing. Nothing to set much store by, regrettably!

yeah, I thought the photo looked terribly fake, but was still hoping that maybe there was some truth in the rumours. Oh well, if it is true (fingers crossed) then hopefully it will come out from people watching the filming sooner or later