Are Plusnet any good?

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    You either haven't read or have misunderstood my previous post. The £50 cashback was an internal offer by Plusnet themselves, not a third party offer. It has now finished though.

My existing provider Talk Talk made me a much better offer though, and combined with the dreadful customer service from Plusnet I mentioned in my previous post it was an easy decision to stay with them.

No my response was related to Axevictims post.
    I'm still debating atm to stay with virgin or move to talktalk or plusnet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    It was never my intention to go with it for the cash back, that's why I asked the question
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Soon going to be switching from Sky unlimited broadband and was wondering whether Plusnet are any good (service wise). Thinking of getting the unlimited broadband from them.

I've read reviews of plusnet ”throttling” your speed during peak times - but is this just for extensive internet use such as online gaming? I will mainly use the internet for streaming catch-up services/netflix and youtube and maybe the odd download, would these things also be affected due to the “throttling?”

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Im with PlusNet.Never any bit of problem with them.Ive only got there broadband not there phone and let me no nearer the time the price of my bill. Id recommend them.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with plusnet since they took over Force9 and have no complaints about their service or response to queries or problems. A*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I'm most likely going to switch to Plusnet's £2.49 offer this week. I was wondering what the procedure for switching is? Should I get the MAC from Sky before contacting plusnet?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm most likely going to switch to Plusnet's £2.49 offer this week. I was wondering what the procedure for switching is? Should I get the MAC from Sky before contacting plusnet?

If you're on Sky's LLU equipment then you won't need a MAC. So as long as you're not on Sky BB Connect then just order with PN and they'll arrange things from their end.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with Plusnet for ages and have had no problems. My only gripe is like many other ISPs most of their deals apply to new customers only.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I have just signed up with Plusnet for 2 more years, it is a "retention deal" - pay the BT line rental a year in advance if you can.

I use 18185 for cheap phone calls, Plusnet allow this, I believe Sky and TalkTalk block it.

The only other issue is that the Technicolor routers don't seem to last more than 2 years. Apart from that Plusnet are fine.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I have just signed up with Plusnet for 2 more years, it is a "retention deal" - pay the BT line rental a year in advance if you can.

I use 18185 for cheap phone calls, Plusnet allow this, I believe Sky and TalkTalk block it.

The only other issue is that the Technicolor routers don't seem to last more than 2 years. Apart from that Plusnet are fine.

Agree entirely. A two year retention deal is as good as a new customer. Pity they could not offer a better router even if we had to pay "cost".

Only fly in the ointment is actually getting through to speak to somebody.........
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I've been with Plusnet for ages and have had no problems. My only gripe is like many other ISPs most of their deals apply to new customers only.

Funny you say that. I'm on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre only (phone line paid by my parents via BT) for £19.99. When I first joined up it was Fibre Extra (only 250GB usage) for the same price. Shortly after I signed up they announced the Unlimited package at the same price. Since then their broadband only packages have gone up £2.50. But I'm still paying £19.99.
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Agree entirely. A two year retention deal is as good as a new customer. Pity they could not offer a better router even if we had to pay "cost".

Only fly in the ointment is actually getting through to speak to somebody.........

I just checked my bank statement and the new contract started in early June, £137 for 12 months line rental + £5.99 a month for phone & broadband. BT have installed cabinets in my area, scheduled to go live any time now. I will see what Plusnet want for the high speed service but I was told by an engineer that my house is wired straight to the exchange, so I might not have the option to upgrade.
  • lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just checked my bank statement and the new contract started in early June, £137 for 12 months line rental + £5.99 a month for phone & broadband. BT have installed cabinets in my area, scheduled to go live any time now. I will see what Plusnet want for the high speed service but I was told by an engineer that my house is wired straight to the exchange, so I might not have the option to upgrade.

Check your phone number on the following site. It'll tell you if you're connected to a "Cabinet"

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Brian
    Forum Member
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Check your phone number on the following site. It'll tell you if you're connected to a "Cabinet"

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Brian

Thanks - tried that but no mention of cabinets. Maybe BT don't update it until the cabinets are switched on, they only appeared a few weeks ago.
  • lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - tried that but no mention of cabinets. Maybe BT don't update it until the cabinets are switched on, they only appeared a few weeks ago.

Cabinet numbers shown relate to the original BT box - a fibre cabinet is "paired" to this.

It would appear you are on an Exchange Only line. Is your exchange part of the OpenReach commercial roll out or is the up-grade being funded by government money.

If the latter there may be a small chance of FTTP being provided.

Brian
    Forum Member
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Cabinet numbers shown relate to the original BT box - a fibre cabinet is "paired" to this.

It would appear you are on an Exchange Only line. Is your exchange part of the OpenReach commercial roll out or is the up-grade being funded by government money.

If the latter there may be a small chance of FTTP being provided.

Brian

I live in a mainly residential area about 700m from the exchange, so my current speed is around 20Mb. It's not a rural area so i don't think we will be seeing any government money around here.

The current speed is enough for what I do and prices would have to drop for me to consider an upgrade anyway. I'm sure they will over the next few years.
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    If you're on Sky's LLU equipment then you won't need a MAC. So as long as you're not on Sky BB Connect then just order with PN and they'll arrange things from their end.

I got an email last night from Plusnet asking me to acquire the MAC code so I rang Sky today and they told me that it will be posted out to me in 5 working days. Is this normal practice? I assumed they would have told me the code over the phone?
  • Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Sky sent my MAC code in a text message to my mobile.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mick Jones wrote: »

Mine too within a day or so.
    With BT i was given the MAC code over the phone.
    Regarding cashback i just recieved £101 in my account from TCB for moving to Plusnet.
    Forum Member
    Mick Jones wrote: »

I called Sky back after 2 hours or so and requested the MAC code over the phone and they read it out to me. The first person I talked to who said it can only be posted must have been pissed that I didn't want to hear any of his offers
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I called Sky back after 2 hours or so and requested the MAC code over the phone and they read it out to me. The first person I talked to who said it can only be posted must have been pissed that I didn't want to hear any of his offers

I have had no end of arguments with Sky over the years, so when I came to switch over to PlusNet, I thought "Here we go, another 30 mins of faffing around and offers that I wasn't going to take". I got on the phone and told them straight that I was leaving and not to bother with any offers. I was very surprised that the woman just did as I asked and acted professionally. Sad that they acted that way only when I was leaving them.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    If you are on Sky's "Broadband and Voice" (SBVN) network - as most people now are! - you should NOT need a MAC code. A MAC is used when it is possible to transfer the broadband by itself - to return from SBVN the entire phone line has to be rewired and the Voice Calls side also reconnected to another phone operator (often to BT).

BT themselves correctly do not as for a MAC in such cases. I just notified them I wanted to transfer and they did all the notifications needed to Sky.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just signed up for plusnet. The process of signup was easy but the email said the router would be sent via post and should fit through my letterbox. As I have vertical letterbox as it's shared enterence for the flat I'm in, it wouldn't.

Rang them up, in seconds through to a polite girl who sorted it all out and got it delivered to a different address.

The only issue I've had is the activation time, that changed from next friday, to the monday afterwards. I suppose not a lot I can do about that.
  • wild_tywild_ty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I have also signed up. Install due in a few weeks. Just had a letter from them and as the abovr poster said everything seems to be going smoothly.

Great deal at the moment, £7.50 a month for nine months then £15 for the remaining nine months. That is on the unlimited 40/20. You can also get £110 through topcash back. Worked out, with the cash back included, over the 18 months it will cost £5.89 plus line rental which is not to bad.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was installed yesterday. Went smoothly apart from the line wasn't activated once the BT engineer had finished. So after faffing around for a while I ended up ringing plusnet who quickly set me live on their system.

Now I get a nice 75/20 connection, with a better DNS resolver than virgin it seems (nippy).

So happy overall with the service although I had to hang on the phone for 10 minutes due to me ringing at a time everyone got home from work :)
  • FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I am actually thinking of leaving Sky for Plusnet as Fibre prices are much cheaper as my area is due to be activated in Sept-14

I've been used to Sky not having any traffic management and consistent speeds 24 hours a day with no slow downs. However I've heard there is some sort of Traffic Management system in place with plusnet? If so, Does anyone know what this is like? and how badly it will affect services such as my VoIP, Games and P2P?