Are People More Track Orientated than Artist Today?

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,457
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at the music my friends have on their phones and iPods it occurred to me how eclectic everyone's tastes are today. It seems to me that we are more and more downloading music purely because we like a particular track and not necessarily because we like a particular artist. Would anyone agree with this?

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Looking at the music my friends have on their phones and iPods it occurred to me how eclectic everyone's tastes are today. It seems to me that we are more and more downloading music purely because we like a particular track and not necessarily because we like a particular artist. Would anyone agree with this?

Yes, I agree 100%.

It's definitely the case with a lot of people. Everybody still has their favourite artists of course, but most of the time you hear a song, and if you like it and want to listen to it more, you download it, if you don't like it, then you don't download it.

A lot of people know hardly anything about the artists of their favourite songs. And a lot of people don't really care even if an artist is not talented at all, as long as they like the song.

However, if there is an artist and I find I love 10+ of his songs, I'll probably go and download his entire discography to listen to, and do research about him, and become a fan of the artist. But usually I just hear a catchy song and download it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. Too many people buy songs rather than the artist behind them. It's a shame really.
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Yes, I agree 100%.

It's definitely the case with a lot of people. Everybody still has their favourite artists of course, but most of the time you hear a song, and if you like it and want to listen to it more, you download it, if you don't like it, then you don't download it.

A lot of people know hardly anything about the artists of their favourite songs. And a lot of people don't really care even if an artist is not talented at all, as long as they like the song.

However, if there is an artist and I find I love 10+ of his songs, I'll probably go and download his entire discography to listen to, and do research about him, and become a fan of the artist. But usually I just hear a catchy song and download it.

This is what I do in most cases.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find that if I download a particular artist's album (because there are several tracks that I like) then the follow up album invariably disappoints. Seems it is very hard for an artist to maintain a level of consistency now days. I also think that people are exposed to a wider number of artists in today's world so take more of a mix and match approach to their musical tastes.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am extremely artist/album orientated. I tend much more to listen to whole albums at a time than just a few tracks...I often avoid listening to singles until the album is out because I think of albums as stories unless we're talking about throwaway pop fluff. I'm probably rather weird that way, but it's how I best enjoy music.