Views on catholic communions

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who does not have internet access.

He is a protestant and his partner is catholic. they had seperated when their daughter was only 2 and then got back together a year later. While they were not together his partner decided that she was getting their daughter baptized a catholic.

It is now coming up to the communion stage for his daughter although she is not at a catholic school due to issues with transport to the catholic school when she was starting.

My friend feels that the kid should have no religion and be left to choose for herself when older but he feels that using this as his only point against commmunion would only result in his partner saying if he feels that way then she can be catholic then choose to change when older if she wishes.

What he wants to know is why is it that people see catholic communions as been wrong apart from a child should be allowed to choose their own religion?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I think there are two schools of thought against Catholic Communion:

First it indoctrinates children before they have a chance to evaluate religion generally and catholicism in particular, by 'autoenrolling' them in one specific religion

Secondly; transubstantiation, the belief that the bread and wine actually become part of Jesus' body at the moment of communion.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't any biggie, The child get's to wear a pretty dress has a bit of wafer and some wine and go to a tea party with her friends. My daughter did it and is now agnostic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't any biggie, The child get's to wear a pretty dress has a bit of wafer and some wine and go to a tea party with her friends. My daughter did it and is now agnostic.

I was made to do it and now resent it. I can't take away my 'catholic' status but was never able to choose for myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And with a bit of luck she doesn't get felt up by the priest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was baptised, made communion, confession and confirmed before I was old enough to decide it was all bullshit.

Of course I can choose to not be religious, but I'll always be baptised catholic, I've always made the sacraments and it's always a part of my records. I dread to think that sometime in a hundred years from now ancestors will be saying, "Ooh, my great, great granny was a catholic" She wasn't, she just can't undo the decision her mother made.
  • verbotenverboten Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I was made to do it and now resent it. I can't take away my 'catholic' status but was never able to choose for myself.

Bit melodramatic! Of course you can change your faith or religious identity! My dad is atheist and my mum Catholic and neither forced us into any faith. Two of my children opted for communion themselves - no forcing. They enjoyed the experience, take their faith seriously but not at the detriment to having a 'normal' life.

I chose to follow and continue in the Catholic faith, only because it feels right to me but I will not be upset if any of my kids doesn't carry on their faith - my eldest decided it wasn't for her and didn't have communion and doesn't go to church. So what? it's her choice.
    Your 'identity' or 'status' is what you decide it to be. There is no right or wrong.
    PS the Catholic faith is undergoing a witch hunt -people must remember there will sadly, always be perverts in society some are teachers, doctors, Rabbis, Vicars etc and all should be struck off and punished accordingly, but it seems that this faith is being highlighted as the only culture that has paedophiles or dodgy ministers.

By dint of the fact they have access to youngsters, and garner trust from people, many professions will be targeted by sickos unfortunately. Oops gone off topic - sorry:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    verboten wrote: »
    Bit melodramatic! Of course you can change your faith or religious identity! My dad is atheist and my mum Catholic and neither forced us into any faith. Two of my children opted for communion themselves - no forcing. They enjoyed the experience, take their faith seriously but not at the detriment to having a 'normal' life.

I chose to follow and continue in the Catholic faith, only because it feels right to me but I will not be upset if any of my kids doesn't carry on their faith - my eldest decided it wasn't for her and didn't have communion and doesn't go to church. So what? it's her choice.
    Your 'identity' or 'status' is what you decide it to be. There is no right or wrong.
    PS the Catholic faith is undergoing a witch hunt -people must remember there will sadly, always be perverts in society some are teachers, doctors, Rabbis, Vicars etc and all should be struck off and punished accordingly, but it seems that this faith is being highlighted as the only culture that has paedophiles or dodgy ministers.

By dint of the fact they have access to youngsters, and garner trust from people, many professions will be targeted by sickos unfortunately. Oops gone off topic - sorry:o

So because you don't have the same opinion as I do, I'm being melodramatic?

I do absolutely resent that I was baptised into a church I don't believe in and that I have absolutely no respect for. To make things even more frustrating my mother now has turned her back on the church too and hasn't a good word to say for them.

I can tell people what my beliefs are, but officially, I am and always will be catholic. I don't appreciate that.

Melodramatic or frustrated that as opposed to them as I am, I'm counted as one of their number?
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I,m feel exactly the same
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Surely it's the daughters decision even if she does seem young. No one is gonna hold a gun to her head if in later life she chooses not to follow her decision. I son;t think it's worth your mate upsetting his wife and daughter if that's what they both want.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    dannijones wrote: »

He is a protestant and his partner is catholic. they had seperated when their daughter was only 2 and then got back together a year later. While they were not together his partner decided that she was getting their daughter baptized a catholic.

It is now coming up to the communion stage for his daughter although she is not at a catholic school due to issues with transport to the catholic school when she was starting.

My friend feels that the kid should have no religion and be left to choose for herself when older but he feels that using this as his only point against commmunion would only result in his partner saying if he feels that way then she can be catholic then choose to change when older if she wishes.

What he wants to know is why is it that people see catholic communions as been wrong apart from a child should be allowed to choose their own religion?

If that is his only reason but he feels it isn't strong enough - isn't it rather hypocritical to fish around on an internet forum for stronger reasons to justify it?
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

Up to 2009 you could formally leave the Catholic church but I understand that the Holy See removed that right. I assume this was at least in part related to the number of people excommunicating themseleves.

You can apparently 'resign' from the Church if you so wish. Take a look at Google or Wikipedia for the process; I assume that is valid.

In terms of 'Catholicness', you can just simply not practice and have nothing to do with the Church. Apparently the Church uses census data rather than baptism records to count the number of Catholics in the world.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Im catholic and my son was baptised and has had his Holy Communion

I decided he could choose whether to do his Confirmation or not

I was brought up Catholic and have 'done' all three - the last one by choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Up to 2009 you could formally leave the Catholic church but I understand that the Holy See removed that right. I assume this was at least in part related to the number of people excommunicating themseleves.

You can apparently 'resign' from the Church if you so wish. Take a look at Google or Wikipedia for the process; I assume that is valid.

In terms of 'Catholicness', you can just simply not practice and have nothing to do with the Church. Apparently the Church uses census data rather than baptism records to count the number of Catholics in the world.

It's worth me looking into. :) Thanks x
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Protestant, my partner Catholic, My son made his first communion last year, Without meaning to insult anyone I think like many of their practices especially here in Ireland I think its a lot of un needed fuss, right up there with praying in grave yards once a year, months mind masses, sitting up all night at wakes, the list could go on, I''m glad I'm Anglican, things are a lot simpler.
    Forum Member
    So because you don't have the same opinion as I do, I'm being melodramatic?

I do absolutely resent that I was baptised into a church I don't believe in and that I have absolutely no respect for. To make things even more frustrating my mother now has turned her back on the church too and hasn't a good word to say for them.

I can tell people what my beliefs are, but officially, I am and always will be catholic. I don't appreciate that.

Melodramatic or frustrated that as opposed to them as I am, I'm counted as one of their number?

No, you're being melodramatic because it does not affect your day to day life (unless you want it to). My husband was baptised Catholic, but now declares himself an atheist - he doesn't go around feeling he's been hard done by by his parents - it means nothing to him! And, yes, maybe I do think you are being over the top - maybe i'm biased because I had something far worse happen to me when I was a child (let's just say it wasn't a priest) and I learnt to let it go and not dictate the rest of my life. So, instead of 'resenting' it - let it go and just live your life the way you want. If you don't believe in God, then why be bothered about a small ceremony that happened when you were a baby?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    verboten wrote: »
    No, you're being melodramatic because it does not affect your day to day life (unless you want it to). My husband was baptised Catholic, but now declares himself an atheist - he doesn't go around feeling he's been hard done by by his parents - it means nothing to him! And, yes, maybe I do think you are being over the top - maybe i'm biased because I had something far worse happen to me when I was a child (let's just say it wasn't a priest) and I learnt to let it go and not dictate the rest of my life. So, instead of 'resenting' it - let it go and just live your life the way you want. If you don't believe in God, then why be bothered about a small ceremony that happened when you were a baby?

I've had far worse happen to me too, it's not a bleeding hearts competition.

I do declare myself an atheist, it doesn't mean I don't resent that I'm baptised a catholic. Yes you are being biased, but I think that's less to do with anything that has happened and more do with your defence of your religion.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    My son is Catholic, I'm not but my husband is. We send him to the local Catholic school. We didn't baptise him until he was 4, he understood what was going on.

Me and my husband aren't religious, science has overruled any religious beliefs we both may have had at one point. We do openly discuss science and religion with our son without giving any opinion, it's up to him.

If he wants to go through communion when he's old enough then we'll support it, if not, then we'll support that too.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the mother and child regular attenders at a catholic parish? If not, then there is no reason to do it. What does the child think?
    There is peer pressure in catholic primaries (I remember one where a lad turned up in a horse-drawn carriage, and another where a little girl's Mum said "Its the only time I'll ever see her in white.") In those circumstances it has almost nothing to do with religion and almost everything to do with tribal identity.
    If she doesn't go to a catholic school or a catholic church ...... why on earth would they want the communion thing? :confused:
    Forum Member

I do declare myself an atheist, it doesn't mean I don't resent that I'm baptised a catholic. Yes you are being biased, but I think that's less to do with anything that has happened and more do with your defence of your religion.

From your aggressive tone and talk of 'bleeding hearts' etc I think your problems have little to do with religion!
    Oh, and by the way, nothing in my posts are defensive - just my thoughts on the topic as the OP wanted a discussion on communion! And if you've had 'far worse happen' then put the baptism into perspective, just saying!!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

You were baptised Catholic because thats what your parents felt was right for you to do at that time, because at a couple of months old, you were too young to talk, walk, crawl or anything else, nevermind understand the world of religion and make an informed decision on which one best represents you and your life.

Get over yourself and stop been a drama queen.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you have to do is say "I am not a catholic, I am not a catholic, I am not a catholic" spin round three times and walk away.
    Forum Member
    If I am so defensive about my faith, why have I not forced my children to take communion - and in respect of my husbands opinions as an atheist, we have decided to wait until our youngest is old enough to decide if he wants to be baptised or not.

All i am trying to say is don't let something like this rule your life - it happened - if you don't want to be a Christian, or want to change faith do it! It's what feels right for you - not anyone else.:)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Here in Ireland communion and confirmation preparation is done through the schools and the kids make their communion with their school class. Some people, however (including me), think they should take the sacrament preparation out of schools. Most of them wear the fancy dresses for Communion but for Confirmation some either wear something that could be classified as smart casual or their school uniforms. Communion is a big thing over here and many parents splash out on limos, fancy dresses, after parties in hotels, spray tan etc. and the family and friends often give kids money for making their communion/confirmation :eek: Communion season is usually around April/May. I've already seen adverts in my city for communion dresses and parties and one department store in the city I live in had a communion fashion show a while back.

I was never baptised so I never had to do the whole communion and confirmation thing. Lucky me :D I was brought up without religion and told that if I ever wanted to become religious as an adult I could, but now I have no intention to. Only religion I have any interest in is the Church of Apple :p That reminds me, I have to go to the Apple Store soon :D
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    All you have to do is say "I am not a catholic, I am not a catholic, I am not a catholic" spin round three times and walk away.

Or get divorced, they'll soon want rid of you.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannijones wrote: »

I know I am naive but it strikes me as odd that your friend is not asking his catholic partner.