Options

Time to start closing digital channels down?

Comments

• Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Alibi should be axed. Do we really need two UKTV Drama channels?

If you bothered to check out the content on those two channels you would see it is entirely different. One is premium, first run, mainly acquired product. The other is a cheap, FTA, mainly repeats channel for classic (but ageing) British material.

So the answer to the question is yes.

What is your problem with alibi? Is it just the name?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    lol zing xxx
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why does it matter if there are two "drama" channels are you not capable of looking elsewhere why does it bother you have you nothing better to worry about.

I like the quiet, not very watched channels while the sheep watch itv or BBC-1 I will gladly be giving my eyes to these channels.
  • Options
    deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the viewing figures for the +1 channels and also those that broadcast complete rubbish in poor quality SD? Surely that space should be given over to expanding HD on Freeview and Freesat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand over BBC 3 to a commercial network. Expand BBC 4. Create a BBC Sports HD channel where they can put all of their sports events without having to upset the majority of BBC1 viewers.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delta wrote: »
    Hand over BBC 3 to a commercial network. Expand BBC 4. Create a BBC Sports HD channel where they can put all of their sports events without having to upset the majority of BBC1 viewers.

That wouldnt work as the daytime space on BBC 3 and 4 is used for the kids channels. The only channel that the BBC could convert to a sports channel would be BBC2, then for what your surgesting to work, they would have to change BBC 3 to a part time BBC 2. Only issue is BBC 4 would then become BBC 3 and that wouldnt work as people would get well confused about whats on there!
    The other thing that might do what you want, is swapping BBC 3 and 2 so BBC 3 is the full time channel and BBC 2 is part time.
    This would mean BBC 3 could be the Sport channel you want by renaming it BBC 3 Sport.
    In fact they could share that BBC 2 daytime space by giving it to BBC 3 during sport and BBC 2 the rest of the time, otherwise the BBC 3 daytime space would need filling when the BBC hasnt go sport to show!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Create a BBC Sports HD channel where they can put all of their sports events without having to upset the majority of BBC1 viewers.
    And please tell me what the BBC would show on the majority of the days where they have simply no sport (especially as the vast majority of sport is clustered around specific days leading up to and encompassing the weekend). Such a channel would probably struggle to get Trust clearance, it is not likely to get a favourable MIA

And no, the BBC will not be closing down or selling off any channels. That was quite clear from the accepted DQF plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And please tell me what the BBC would show on the majority of the days where they have simply no sport (especially as the vast majority of sport is clustered around specific days leading up to and encompassing the weekend). Such a channel would probably struggle to get Trust clearance, it is not likely to get a favourable MIA

And no, the BBC will not be closing down or selling off any channels. That was quite clear from the accepted DQF plans.

REPEATS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPEATS!

1) Of what? If existing programmes, then see below. If of earlier sports events, then only if the repeats rights exist and the BBC has paid for them.

2) Too many people complain now of too many repeats. Why make the situation worse with another channel that will be full oif repeats apart from a small number of hours a week on average

3) On the basis of repeats filling 99% of the airtime, the BBC Trust would be unlikely to sanction it as it would be unlikely to pass its PVT.

4) And if it is 99% repeats, then it provides little value for money, seeing as it would be a relatively costly way to provide those repeats (especially when other means are available which are far cheaper, i.e. via internet services)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

There is no other PSB for young adults and teenagers. But close BBC3 all you want, as long as it doesn't affect you, why should you care?
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    True that the current broadband provision isnt enough yet, but if the boxes were made capable, then serivces, like BBC connected red button, could be on the platform for people whos broadband could cope. Also as far as SD channels as DVB-S2 MPEG 4 goes, I was think only for pay channels and so that people with old boxes would be more encuraged to upgrade. Also getting rid of premium SD channels would be good, as that would mean that more people would be looking to upgrade and if the only sub customers with old boxes could get was the basic entertainment, then people would be wanting to upgrade for ent ext too. This would further reduce the old boxes, hopefully to a level that Sky could look at saying if you want our serivces then get a new box! Sure this would still take time, but Sky should start by droping SD premium channels, putting all +1s on DVB-S2 MPEG 4 (which would allow a breef window of new SD channels on DVB-S1 MPEG 2) and then all new SD channels on DVB-S2 MPEG 4! Now im sure the mention of closing channels would please the op!

It's not about satellite capacity, it's the memory in the boxes that is the problem. Each channel is like a shortcut to the frequency, polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC which the box has to store on it's memory. It is also why Sky HD boxes have the newer EPG

The main reason they didn't upgrade the boxes is the cost, like I said there are millions of old boxes and they are expensive for sky to replace. The old boxes have dial up modems with no Ethernet connection.

From what I remember free to air TV channels pay about £50,000 per year to be listed on sky's EPG. Pay TV channels pay more but they get money from the subscription and £0 for the +1s. Channels can be on the satellite and not on Sky's EPG like with channels that are testing and ITV HD before it launched on Sky. Those channels could be added through the add channels but most people wouldn't and BARB don't monitor them so they would probably not be able to get advertising revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alibi is mainly crime drama and Drama is classic drama and comedy drama.
    What are the viewing figures for the +1 channels and also those that broadcast complete rubbish in poor quality SD? Surely that space should be given over to expanding HD on Freeview and Freesat?

You can see viewing figures at www.barb.co.uk. An example of what a +1 channel gets is on Wednesday 31st July when Coronation Street was on ITV it got 7,708,000, ITV HD it got 702,000 and ITV+1 got 447,000. However ITV is more established. On Sunday 4th August on ITV2 Two weeks notice got 547,000 and on ITV2+1 it got 334,000

To have a sports channel they need to acquire the rights to sports events at a high price. ITV Sports channel had problems where they ended up bidding too high on Division one football rights.
    lotrjw wrote: »
    That wouldnt work as the daytime space on BBC 3 and 4 is used for the kids channels. The only channel that the BBC could convert to a sports channel would be BBC2, then for what your surgesting to work, they would have to change BBC 3 to a part time BBC 2. Only issue is BBC 4 would then become BBC 3 and that wouldnt work as people would get well confused about whats on there!
    The other thing that might do what you want, is swapping BBC 3 and 2 so BBC 3 is the full time channel and BBC 2 is part time.
    This would mean BBC 3 could be the Sport channel you want by renaming it BBC 3 Sport.
    In fact they could share that BBC 2 daytime space by giving it to BBC 3 during sport and BBC 2 the rest of the time, otherwise the BBC 3 daytime space would need filling when the BBC hasnt go sport to show!

The issue is with the EPG spaces. BBC3 was 24 hours during the Olympics. They could make BBC3 and 4 24 hours but BBC 3 and 4 have issues with the lack of content.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    The issue is with the EPG spaces. BBC3 was 24 hours during the Olympics. They could make BBC3 and 4 24 hours but BBC 3 and 4 have issues with the lack of content.

No
    BBC three time shares everything with CBBC .. And BBC four with Cbeebies .

For the Olympics BBC parliament was stopped and its bit rate was used by BBC three ( together with a few bits from elsewhere) with Cbeebies bit rate added to the stat mux poll in the evening. ... A total reset of the DTT mux configuration.
    And some shuffling if things an DSAT .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    BBC three time shares everything with CBBC .. And BBC four with Cbeebies .

For the Olympics BBC parliament was stopped and its bit rate was used by BBC three ( together with a few bits from elsewhere) with Cbeebies bit rate added to the stat mux poll in the evening. ... A total reset of the DTT mux configuration.
    And some shuffling if things an DSAT .

Yes, they do time shift but if they were to do it as a long term thing they could run BBC 3 as 24 hours but they would need to increase programme commission and acquisitions. If they only wanted it for 2 weeks it would be more expensive than using the bandwidth they already have.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio is next to go but it is being replaced by another service called Lifetime. Seems all these 90's/00's channels are going through rebands. Paramount > Comedy Central FX > Fox and now Bio.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, in this age of austerity the BBC could save money in the following ways:

- Radically change BBC Three. It is largely a chav channel at the moment. I'd reposition it as a classic TV and catchup channel to save money.

- Close the BBC Asian Network completely. It's not really an 'Asian Network' anyway, more of a India, Pakistan and Bangladesh network. However, I don't believe such a network should exist as a matter of principle.

- Make BBC local radio local only for breakfast, drivetime and sport. Networked music and chat programmes could be broadcast the rest of the time.

I would, however, congratulate the BBC on the superb job they've done in repositioning the BBC Two daytime schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    For me, in this age of austerity the BBC could save money in the following ways:

- Radically change BBC Three. It is largely a chav channel at the moment. I'd reposition it as a classic TV and catchup channel to save money.

- Close the BBC Asian Network completely. It's not really an 'Asian Network' anyway, more of a India, Pakistan and Bangladesh network. However, I don't believe such a network should exist as a matter of principle.

- Make BBC local radio local only for breakfast, drivetime and sport. Networked music and chat programmes could be broadcast the rest of the time.

I would, however, congratulate the BBC on the superb job they've done in repositioning the BBC Two daytime schedule.

They wanted to extend BBC Three's hours but they already repeat some programmes 3 times in one night and when it was 24 hours during the Olympics they mainly showed Olympic events and movies during the day

It was replaced with E!+1, another NBCUniversal channel
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sale of C5 would be interesting if someone like ITV came in or Sky potentially these channels could vanish:

Channel 5
    Channel 5+1
    5 Later
    5USA
    5USA+1
    5*
    5*+1
    Channel 5 HD

Be interesting to see if UKTV make any changes to there line up in 2014 too. And how much longer can we have all these music channels playing the same pop songs?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    All the crappy low-rent African and religious channels should be dumped.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the crappy low-rent African and religious channels should be dumped.

It would be great if we could just dump them ourselves from the epg but sadly this is not to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    They wanted to extend BBC Three's hours but they already repeat some programmes 3 times in one night

I think that you'll find that any third repeat (when scheduled) is normally a signed version, and generally shown in the small hours of the morning.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And please tell me what the BBC would show on the majority of the days where they have simply no sport (especially as the vast majority of sport is clustered around specific days leading up to and encompassing the weekend).

They've already said countless times that they're not allowed to have a BBC Sport channel, as it would be consider uncompetitive, so it won't be happening.
    The sale of C5 would be interesting if someone like ITV came in or Sky potentially these channels could vanish:

Channel 5
    Channel 5+1
    5 Later
    5USA
    5USA+1
    5*
    5*+1
    Channel 5 HD

Wouldn't someone else just continue them? Maybe they'll be less crap once Desmond's gone, such as no longer having such crap guests on The Wright Stuff who are just outcasts from Big Brother and all the other crappy reality shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    They've already said countless times that they're not allowed to have a BBC Sport channel, as it would be consider uncompetitive, so it won't be happening.
    Yes, I have probably said the same in this and other similar threads when the subject of a BBC Sport channel has been raised.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »

aka the usual "I don't like it so it shouldn't be shown". You're not the only one paying the TVL you know.

- Close the BBC Asian Network completely.
    aka the usual "I don't like it so it shouldn't be shown".
    That's what "Local" commercial stations run by the big corporates do. Except they're not 'local' in the slightest.

Do you really want that from the BBC?
    Caxton wrote: »
    It would be great if we could just dump them ourselves from the epg but sadly this is not to be.
    Well you could either set up favourites or just ignore them!