On what else should Ed freeze prices?

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    no. he is saying the exact opposite of that.

In that case how does he propose the people who can't afford to pay the ever increasing energy prices pay for them ?
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Is having a job better than not having one ?

Not necessarily. It would depend on whether it provided, or at least contributed toward a living wage.
    A job that needs to be heavily subsidised by state benefits may be a complete waste of effort.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    jassi wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It would depend on whether it provided, or at least contributed toward a living wage.
    A job that needs to be heavily subsidised by state benefits may be a complete waste of effort.

Thats different its not the role of government to subsidise wages companies should pay enough that people can live on what they earn but taxation can also pay a role , it seems a futile exercise to me that the government should take PAYE from someone only to give it back to them as working tax credit
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the same would apply to supermarkets that sell petrol and shops, supermarkets and restaurants that sell beer, so why ask the question in the first place?

Was it to show that freezing energy prices is a ridiculous policy?

You were the one who came back with "food" as an answer. Can you explain how that would work without bankrupting framers and producers? Why did you mention it?
    I would imagine that unless there is proper control of them once the freeze is over both council tax and energy prices could rise astronomically.

Or before given it's been announced a year and a half before the election. Do you think it's a wise policy given what you now know?
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water, energy,and rents should be capped or subject to more stricter price regulation. If the market doesnt work properly it needs some state intervention.But its up to the government in some areas like petrol prices.
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    I think that Ed should put a freeze on half-baked election promises.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Ed is back...

He should freeze bread prices.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Water, energy,and rents should be capped or subject to more stricter price regulation. If the market doesnt work properly it needs some state intervention.But its up to the government in some areas like petrol prices.

The market is working perfectly though and state intervention will break it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    You were the one who came back with "food" as an answer. Can you explain how that would work without bankrupting framers and producers? Why did you mention it?

Because it was one of the things you included in your question in the OP :confused:

Or before given it's been announced a year and a half before the election. Do you think it's a wise policy given what you now know?

I'm not sure what you think I 'know', I've heard things Tory supporting media have had to say but I'm not sure how accurate their information is.So I can't really comment on the wisdom of it.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The price of Tory governments to the well being of the country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Red Ed is back...

He should freeze bread prices.

He'd probably be toast if he did.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeze the salaries of overpaid BBC execs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Freeze the salaries of overpaid BBC execs?

Yes and maybe bankers bonuses...

That's not going to happen though, Osborne already has that sorted

Osborne Takes Legal Action Over EU Bonus Cap

The Treasury has lodged a legal complaint over the European Union's proposed cap on bank bonuses, Sky News has learnt.

http://news.sky.com/story/1146336/osborne-takes-legal-action-over-eu-bonus-cap
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    The market is working perfectly though and state intervention will break it.

I wouldn't say it was perfect prices are high, if only it wasn't for those "green taxes" now I wonder who introduced them :rolleyes:
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/1146336/osborne-takes-legal-action-over-eu-bonus-cap

Well saving public money is something a government has the power to do. That won't happen either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was perfect prices are high, if only it wasn't for those "green taxes" now I wonder who introduced them :rolleyes:

Does this help ?

United Kingdom

In 1993, the conservative government introduced the Fuel Price Escalator, featuring a small but steady increase of fuel taxes, as proposed by Weizsäcker and Jesinghaus in 1992.[3] The FPE was stopped in 2000, following nationwide protests; while fuel was relatively cheap in 1993, fuel prices were then among the highest in Europe. Under the Blair-Brown government, despite Gordon Brown’s promise to the contrary, green taxes as a percentage of overall taxes have actually fallen from 9.4% to 7.7%, according to calculations by Friends of the Earth.[4]

In a 2006 proposal, the U.K.'s then-Environment Secretary David Miliband had the government in discussions on the use of various green taxes to reduce climate-changing pollution. Of the proposed taxes, which were meant to be revenue-neutral, Miliband stated: "They're not fundamentally there to raise revenue."[5]

Miliband provided additional comments on their need, saying: "Changing people's behaviour is only achieved by "market forces and price signals", and "As our understanding of climate change increases, it is clear more needs to be done."[5]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it was one of the things you included in your question in the OP :confused:

Yes an obviously silly list that you decided to take quite seriously. Do you now admit that your call to freeze food prices was ridiculous?
    I'm not sure what you think I 'know', I've heard things Tory supporting media have had to say but I'm not sure how accurate their information is.So I can't really comment on the wisdom of it.

Huh? I'm asking what you know from the wonderful speech that Ed Miliband gave. Nothing to do with the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes an obviously silly list that you decided to take quite seriously. Do you now admit that your call to freeze food prices was ridiculous?

No I don't ,and quite frankly your bully boy tactics don't impress or intimidate me in the least.

Huh? I'm asking what you know from the wonderful speech that Ed Miliband gave. Nothing to do with the media.

As the say 'Only Fools rush in' so I will save my opinion until more details come out ;)
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know that the price freeze on home energy has gone down very well, and there are no open questions over its cost or legality.

With that in mind what else should Ed propose freezing?

Food? Water? Petrol? House Prices? Beer?

This could just be the beginning of a brighter future for all in the country.

If you mean: What else should Labour say that will put the Tories on the back foot? the answer is anything and everything.

If the February 2016 rise in energy prices is deffered to a larger increase in February 2017, you may want to ask - What exactly has been achieved?

Well - If it helps Labour become the senior partner in a Coalition then, from their point of view, I would say: Plenty has been achieved.
    Can't do anything without power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't ,and quite frankly your bully boy tactics don't impress or intimidate me in the least.

So how would your proposal to freeze food prices work? You've seen lots of people explain the pitfalls but have avoided these points, so I guessed you realised it would not work. As you think it will it would be nice to hear how exactly it would be enforced and how this would impact on producers, farmers and importers.
    As the say 'Only Fools rush in' so I will save my opinion until more details come out ;)

But yet you want to freeze food prices and salaries? :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    If you mean: What else should Labour say that will put the Tories on the back foot? the answer is anything and everything.

If the February 2016 rise in energy prices is deffered to a larger increase in February 2017, you may want to ask - What exactly has been achieved?

Well - If it helps Labour become the senior partner in a Coalition then, from their point of view, I would say: Plenty has been achieved.
    Can't do anything without power.

I totally agree that it's a gimmick and a bribe to get Labour into power. But I have a feeling it will unravel long before the election...
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that the bigger the bonus the more income the government gets in tax to pay for things like a generous welfare state
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how would your proposal to freeze food prices work? You've seen lots of people explain the pitfalls but have avoided these points, so I guessed you realised it would not work. As you think it will it would be nice to hear how exactly it would be enforced and how this would impact on producers, farmers and importers.

But yet you want to freeze food prices and salaries? :confused::confused:

I have no explanation of who, why ,when ,or where
    You asked what I assumed to be a hypothetical question and so I gave a hypothetical answer, as far a I'm concerned that's all there was to it, so why the inquest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    You do realise that the bigger the bonus the more income the government gets in tax to pay for things like a generous welfare state

Nope I didn't have a clue!!
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taxes and the National Debt, ooh there goes a flying pig.