Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an idea - if someone brave posts something on here about the Madeline McCann case, the mods will be here in a flash.

In fact don't, because they'll probably use it as an excuse to lock this for good.

<inserts dodgy blue geezer with secret service glasses on>

If anyone is willing to sacrafice themselves to get the mods into the thread, fill in the following:

Madeleine McCann was murdered by...
    PBU CrazyChris is back and called...
    PBU Mollymorals is back and called...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    One day, once all the issues are sorted, we shall look back on this day and laugh. :)

But I have to sign off for a short while, headache coming on. :(
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Ah crap. I'm back to grey on grey on grey on desktop view on the PC. On the plus side, it means the "Go to first new post" button is back. Whoop.
    Lucky you - it isn't for me <insert sad smiley here>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :d....

Bloody liar (sticking fingers up smilie)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    You have to manually type the BB code. It's all very modern now you see! :p

Thank you and others who have resorted to posting everything in bold, it is far easier to read it now.

Until the basic font colours and background design is sorted out, shall we recommend that everyone does this?

But of course, it won't solve the poor thread title and listing readability issue until they fix it. I have to study every darned one now to read it properly, no more skim-reading at DS for me GRRR.
  • Options
    DPSDPS Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got quite a shock when I saw it. Don't like it at all, and can't see myself getting used to it either.

It doesn't fit my screen, I can't seem to resize it to do so, and there's no scroll bar at the bottom of the browser so I can move over and see what's written on the right hand side of the page. So I can't see a single complete post, everything just disappears off the edge of the screen.

Navigation is difficult and confusing, I had to use my browser's search history to find this section of the forum, to see what was happening. I can't find anything else without the navigation links. Browsing the forum is somewhere between difficult and impossible right now.

And the white banner across the top is taking up a lot of room, and wasting too much space. The whole page is really uncomfortable to look at.

I'd be in great favour of putting it all back the way it was.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Or that we just love a good group moan, easier and warmer than a march.

True .....but even I can only moan for so long.....: D

And then I won't stop moaning, I just won't come here to do it!
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet they can, bet they're all looking at it on the old style, drinking alcohol, eating prawn rings and laughing at us *sad face*

I laughed.
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The permanent banner at the top is making the pages shorter and it's hard to tell what threads have been posted in or not (for ones I've commented in).

Ugh
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    The was a post late last night by a High Up, pointing out three issues that weren't really issues, and lumping in everything else with "Errrrm, yeah, we'll discuss that tomorrow".

Given it's all been done in-house by a team presumably with little design or coding experience, I suspect they simply can't change it that quickly, because they don't have any of the internal skill sets to work that quickly.

It'll change, because it's clusterfark of literally blinding proportions, but it'll take weeks.

Nicely put. And I agree with you - no way has this been designed by developers and a design team. But quickest answer would be to restore the old site, then work on the 'new look' without inflicting it on us. Better still, pay someone to do it cos right now it looks like the work experience kids did it during an alcopop-fuelled bender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    One day, once all the issues are sorted, we shall look back on this day and laugh. :)

But I have to sign off for a short while, headache coming on. :(
    Until then, I remain apoplectic and am shoveling my blood pressure pills down like Smarties.

<red faced angry smiley>
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Doctors and Cagney and Lacey.

That new thing with Henry off Neighbours is quite good as well, although SOME of us tape it and watch after work
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Excellent analysis but I find designers to be not very interested in accessibility, to deliberately disable pinch zoom is a clear example. They're more interested in making sure the ads are always visible than whether you struggle to read small text.

Perhaps not, but the people who asked for the design should be concerned that they have something that doesn't allow any form of magnification without becoming unuseable. Producing a site that can't be used by the visually impaired, raises all sorts of issues.

There's also no commercial logic in having adverts if the viewers, that would see them visiting the forums, are put off coming at all because the text is too small to read and vanishing at the end of lines.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet they can, bet they're all looking at it on the old style, drinking alcohol, eating prawn rings and laughing at us *sad face*

"looking at it on the old style" is the part of that sentence that hurts. (insert smilie here)
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Until then, I remain apoplectic and am shovelling my blood pressure pills down like Smarties.

<red faced angry smiley>

Radio maniac, you are a salvation today...thanks! :D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor colour scheme, poor layout, right hand edge of page missing. This is just change for the sake of change again as there was nothing wrong with the old design, so BRING THE OLD DESIGN BACK PLEASE!!!!
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to log off this websh1te (amused at oneself smiley)now cause its making me ill.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a fix and its in another thread

and it works (on chrome anyway)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That new thing with Henry off Neighbours is quite good as well, although SOME of us tape it and watch after work

Yes I like that too.

OFF TOPIC MODS OFF TOPIC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Most major web sites and forums aren't accessible, so it's a bit pointless.

This is true, but is also besides the point.

It was MORE accessible and now it's LESS accessible.

They've paid to make it worse. Why?!
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I don't know about the default theme but on the WiP theme there's no button to go to the new post (or, rather, first new post since the last time I was in that thread). There were a lot of times when that button didn't work properly and it just took me to the last page but it was still useful.

I agree, I now have to go back to my old technique of looking at posting times to see if there has been a new post. Then I have to find that post.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    You need to change the favicon, too. ;)

:cool: That's the least of their problems. :D
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stylebot is the way forward for fans of the older, better site/
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510