Options

Desktop icons changed to white background

deltadelta Posts: 1,179
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The icons on my desktop have become tiny and set in a white square with a large shortcut arrow rather than the usual shortcut icon. Can anyone explain why and how I can change back to icons without the white square? Using W7 IE11

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    rather than ****ing about it might be easiest just to do a system restore to before it happened.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot?

Have you tried right-click on desktop, View > Change the icon size?

Otherwise you'll have to rebuild your icon cache.

Search google for rebuilding icon cache (iconcache.db if I remember correctly). The procedure basically is end explorer, run command prompt as admin, navigate to the location and delete the above file.

System Restore is a bit heavy handed as it might undo things you didn't want undone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot?

Have you tried right-click on desktop, View > Change the icon size?

Otherwise you'll have to rebuild your icon cache.

Search google for rebuilding icon cache (iconcache.db if I remember correctly). The procedure basically is end explorer, run command prompt as admin, navigate to the location and delete the above file.

System Restore is a bit heavy handed as it might undo things you didn't want undone.

Yes, did System restore, and tried resizing icons. Not confident about doing the option you suggest. I also removed IE11 and now back on IE10 but no difference. System is working fine, no viruses. So is a mystery really.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't say what version of 'Windoze' you are running.I have XP and have added a Microsoft tool called 'TweakUI'.With this you have the option to turn off the 'arrow' overlay,and to restore icons or 'repair' them to the former state.Its a free official download for 'Windoze'so nothing dodgy or illegal! I have added TweakUI to my systems from Win95 onwards I believe.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Try this....Microsoft support
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    You don't say what version of 'Windoze' you are running...

From 1st post:-
    delta wrote: »
    ...Using W7 IE11
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, did System restore, and tried resizing icons. Not confident about doing the option you suggest. I also removed IE11 and now back on IE10 but no difference. System is working fine, no viruses. So is a mystery really.

As long as you follow the instructions, there is no risk to the system deleting the iconcache.db file.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    You don't say what version of 'Windoze' you are running.I have XP and have added a Microsoft tool called 'TweakUI'.With this you have the option to turn off the 'arrow' overlay,and to restore icons or 'repair' them to the former state.Its a free official download for 'Windoze'so nothing dodgy or illegal! I have added TweakUI to my systems from Win95 onwards I believe.

Or this Vista and Windows 7
    http://download.cnet.com/Vista-Shortcut-Overlay-Remover/3000-2072_4-10608910.html
    Available in 32 or 64bit versions

or this which also works on Windows8/8.1
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-remove-the-shortcut-arrow-in-windows-8-1-or-replace-it-with-a-custom-icon/

Both are free
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you follow the instructions, there is no risk to the system deleting the iconcache.db file.

Thanks. I will give it a try late4r and will let you know if it fixes this issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I will give it a try late4r and will let you know if it fixes this issue.

Sorry, I am not confident about doing this. I don't know how to get back to where I am now if it goes wrong!:blush:
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    it won't go wrong. the cache just gets rewritten. The link from Microsoft gives a step by step guide. Just go with it. if it doesn't work, you don't have to go back and change anything again, it will automatically rewrite itself and you will have to look at trying something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    it won't go wrong. the cache just gets rewritten. The link from Microsoft gives a step by step guide. Just go with it. if it doesn't work, you don't have to go back and change anything again, it will automatically rewrite itself and you will have to look at trying something else.

Okay, thank you. Some icons have already changed back!Just 3 remaining.