The 2014 Oscars Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think it is somewhat significant. Bear in mind that the voters in the producers guild make up a good percentage of the oscar voters, much as a good percentage of the voters in the actors guild make up a good percentage of the oscar voters also.

American Hustle at this stage seems to have the edge from the actors of the academy, Gravity will most certainly fair well among the technical boffins, and, quite probably, will take the directors guild next week meaning it will have the weight of the academy's directors behind it. If 12 Years isn't able to dominate among the producers, then I think it might be in a bit of trouble.

Also why wasn't Robert Downey Jr nominated for his role in Iron Man 3…...:kitty::p

You tell me.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    I'm not getting into the brangelina argument as ive seen and read alot to do with them and they are expectionally vile and Jolie is no humanitarian.

Like I said there were many producers in this film and brad didnt bring anything to table, this film was not his idea nor did he know about the book, his production company needed help. And I don't think he gives one about the film but he knew this was his conduit to Oscar glory. I stress a lot of actors do there work simply for Oscar glory to.

Bulls**t upon bulls**t.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with you, Mystical. Theres almost zero evidence to support the claims being made and a good deal of evidence to disprove them. I'm rather reminded of Juror Number 3 from 12 Angry Men here…..:blush:

Was that Lee J Cobb?

Edit: googled it - yes it was!:D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I'm not getting into the brangelina argument as ive seen and read alot to do with them and they are expectionally vile and Jolie is no humanitarian.
    How pathetic.

This is the film forum, btw. Mindless, embittered celebwank presumably goes elsewhere.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that Lee J Cobb?

Edit: googled it - yes it was!:D

yes, I'm afraid I was reminded of the scene towards the end of the film when the other jurors are looking at him rather disapprovingly as he rants and he says something like " You lousy bunch of bleedin' hearts.You're not goin' to intimidate me - I'm *entitled* to my opinion!"….:blush:

Of course he folded like a deck of cards about 30 seconds later….;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Alfonso Cuaron Wins the Directors Guild award for 'Gravity'

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/dga-award-winners-2014-directors-guild-awards/

I'd say Best Director is now a lock if it wasn't before.

It's pretty rare that Director/Picture are split, but I still think it may happen again (though the circumstances to last year are VERY different of course), though I have to say I think every passing day it feels like 12 Years is getting caught by the chasing pack. BAFTA may throw it bone or three next month I guess. I always felt if it was going to sweep anywhere it would be BAFTA, especially as the have kindly cleared out the competition in two of the acting categories for it….

Still, with Gravity also a lock in so many of the technical category's, it's got to be pretty tight now for Best Picture. The main thing against Gravity as noted up thread, is it's not the kind of film the academy vote for as Best Picture, but hey, who knows?
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the toing and froing between Gravity, 12 Years A Slave and American Hustle, do you think perhaps they could split the Academy vote and a fourth contender could sneak in and take the prize?

Her or The Wolf of Wall Street maybe?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    With all the toing and froing between Gravity, 12 Years A Slave and American Hustle, do you think perhaps they could split the Academy vote and a fourth contender could sneak in and take the prize?

Nah. Not a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, no. The top 3 are well clear of the field.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member

If the winner wasn't decided with a preferential ballot there would be a very slim possibility of this happening, but as it's not just a straight vote, it would be really rather difficult for something else to come up the middle.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    If the winner wasn't decided with a preferential ballot there would be a very slim possibility of this happening, but as it's not just a straight vote, it would be really rather difficult for something else to come up the middle.

Ah, yes, I forgot they use instant runoff voting. Silly me.

Never mind, then!

It might be nice to have surprise winner or two, though, but that never seems to happen.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, I forgot they use instant runoff voting. Silly me.

Never mind, then!

It might be nice to have surprise winner or two, though, but that never seems to happen.

Crash.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that McConaughey is the favourite for Best Actor yet isn't even nominated at Bafta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that McConaughey is the favourite for Best Actor yet isn't even nominated at Bafta.

theres a discussion around this a couple of pages back, due to the late uk release bafta voters were sent dvd screeners, and thus the voting is dependent on them having watched/received them, which seems seems to be questionable on both counts in some cases. Same for a couple of other oscar nominated films not nominated by bafta.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With gravity winning the DGA awards yesterday, there's little chance imo that Steve Mc Queen is going to win an Oscar in that category imo.

Does anyone has any theories/ideas as to why Jared was snubbed for a Bafta this year :confused::confused:.
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, I just stumbled across this thread today :blush:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    With gravity winning the DGA awards yesterday, there's little chance imo that Steve Mc Queen is going to win an Oscar in that category imo.

Does anyone has any theories/ideas as to why Jared was snubbed for a Bafta this year :confused::confused:.
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, I just stumbled across this thread today :blush:.

couple of pages of discussion here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70871303
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has gravity got a strong chance for best picture, or is it going to be one of those things where others get close but it was always going to be 12 years? I feel american hustle is totally out of it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    So has gravity got a strong chance for best picture, or is it going to be one of those things where others get close but it was always going to be 12 years? I feel american hustle is totally out of it.

I think it will be close. I do agree that American Hustle does seem to be running out of steam.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand how anyone can say American Hustle's running out of steam - they won at the SAG awards, which balances out the 12 Years/Gravity tie at the PGAs. Both 12 Years and American Hustle won at the Globes, with Gravity (Cuaron) taking Best Director. All 3 won different Best Picture categories at the Critics' Choice Awards.

Since then there's only been the DGAs, which was won by Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity, an obvious win after he took the Golden Globe and Critics' Choice awards.

Yes, 12 Years is likely to win the BAFTA (and clean up at the Independent Spirit Awards because AH and Gravity aren't eligible) and I still think it'll take the Oscar too, but I certainly don't think there's much, if any, evidence to say that American Hustle is out of it! It's very much finely balanced 3 ways at the minute.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 12 Years is likely to win the BAFTA (and clean up at the Independent Spirit Awards because AH and Gravity aren't eligible) and I still think it'll take the Oscar too, but I certainly don't think there's much, if any, evidence to say that American Hustle is out of it! It's very much finely balanced 3 ways at the minute.

I'll splutter on my drink if 12 Years a Slave does win the Academy Awards' Best Film category.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I think it will be close. I do agree that American Hustle does seem to be running out of steam.

American Hustle won't make a serious dent at the BAFTAs. It may win the Best Original Screenplay, though. It would be idiotic and embarrassing if it does.

I'm guessing Gravity for Best British Film (although many are rooting for Philomena) and 12 Years a Slave for Best Film. It'd be the other way round if 12 Years a Slave was nominated in Best British Film, but it isn't. So, that flip is likely to happen.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I'll splutter on my drink if 12 Years a Slave does win the Academy Awards' Best Film category.

Gravity hasn't won a Best Picture award from any major awards ceremony except one of the niche categories at the Critics' Choice Awards.

And I'm not convinced the Academy voters will have taken to American Hustle that much more strongly (if any) than to 12 Years. 12 Years is nowhere near as controversial as the likes of Brokeback Mountain.

And it's won many Best Picture awards already, so I don't think you could possibly be surprised if it did win the Oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand how anyone can say American Hustle's running out of steam - they won at the SAG awards, which balances out the 12 Years/Gravity tie at the PGAs. Both 12 Years and American Hustle won at the Globes, with Gravity (Cuaron) taking Best Director. All 3 won different Best Picture categories at the Critics' Choice Awards.

Since then there's only been the DGAs, which was won by Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity, an obvious win after he took the Golden Globe and Critics' Choice awards.

You are forgetting the Producers Guild, which was a tie between Gravity and 12 Years. And the Producers Guild is typically a strong precursor ;)

Overall I think it's still a three horse race. But the PGA I think places Gravity overall 2nd and American Hustle 3rd in the running order.

But again, I think if any film is running out of steam it's 12 Years, which a few weeks ago looked like sweeping now looks like taking 2-3 awards at the oscars. The pack has certainly closed it down.

Gravity is almost certain to be the biggest winner on the night now.
  • aclevernameaclevername Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on Leonardo!! :D