Hawkeye

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
Why didn't BBC use Hawkeye to show the shooting angle/view that Rooney had against Italy. IT would have been interesting to see how much room he had left of the Italian defender.

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the use of Hawkeye involve having all the hardware set up on the pitch or in the stadium first? All of that would be controlled by FIFA.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shouldn't think so. I mean like they do in the snooker when they change the viewing angle from the position of the balls on the table. I

I would have thought it was perfectly useable.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The snooker production tends to be handled by the broadcaster though, for this the BBC and ITV just show what they're given.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifa are using a Germain goal line system for the World Cup. The BBC can only get what is fed to them by the Brazillian broadcaster.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hawk eye requires 6 or more high speed cameras focused on the area to give a 3D view of the location of the ball in relation to the line.

This isn't possible unless you have the equipment set up to do this which the BBC do not.

The system in place is called GoalControl which works the same way as Hawkeye but with extra sensors on the goal line to improve accuracy along with a watch that the referee has to tell him instantly if it was a goal.

It's very accurate so absolutely no reason not to trust it.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the BBC do the 'players POV' type computer graphics on Match of the Day but I don't think its with the help of Hawkeye-style cameras. Just takes players position on the pitch and moves the viewpoint around.

I think its less used for the World Cup as they're talking about events 30 mins or so after they happen, rather than 6 hours or so on Match of the day, after the graphics guys have been able to have a play.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    the BBC do the 'players POV' type computer graphics on Match of the Day but I don't think its with the help of Hawkeye-style cameras. Just takes players position on the pitch and moves the viewpoint around.

I think its less used for the World Cup as they're talking about events 30 mins or so after they happen, rather than 6 hours or so on Match of the day, after the graphics guys have been able to have a play.

Yeah and this type of thing wouldn't give millimetre accuracy as GoalControl does.
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah and this type of thing wouldn't give millimetre accuracy as GoalControl does.
    GoalControl gives 5mm accuracy, I believe.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amusing me that the GL tech is being used to confirm that yes, that penalty kick that damn-near took the back of the net off did cross the line. :D Were it within their control, I don't think the BBC (or even ITV) would feel it necessary to show us that.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    It's amusing me that the GL tech is being used to confirm that yes, that penalty kick that damn-near took the back of the net off did cross the line. :D Were it within their control, I don't think the BBC (or even ITV) would feel it necessary to show us that.

Of course it wasn't needed, I saw that as them just showcasing the technology, almost out of the sort of giddy excitement you'd expect from a nation hosting the world cup.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Of course it wasn't needed, I saw that as them just showcasing the technology, almost out of the sort of giddy excitement you'd expect from a nation hosting the world cup.
    Like a child with a new toy, you mean? Maybe. Or perhaps some executive said "We've got it, it cost a friggin' arm and a leg, we're damn well going to get our money's worth out of it !" :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Like a child with a new toy, you mean? Maybe. Or perhaps some executive said "We've got it, it cost a friggin' arm and a leg, we're damn well going to get our money's worth out of it !" :D

Yes, a bit like when Wimbledon got the roof and they wouldn't stop banging on about it, then almost wet themselves in excitement when it started to rain, so they got to use the roof :D