Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    What new entertainment shows have aired on the BBC between The Voice UK and now?
    A few. Theyve rated so bad that I dont remember.

The fact of the matter is though, Tumble's first big test was yesterday. And it passed it by growing its audience and maintaining a 20pct+ share. Next week it will continue to grow due to DW lead-out. Then a couple of weeks later, it will be boosted by about 25pct when it has the 7m+ SCD lead-in.

Statiostically speaking, it most likely will be increasing. This is a grower.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »

The fact of the matter is though, Tumble's first big test was yesterday. And it passed it by growing its audience and maintaining a 20pct+ share. Next week it will continue to grow due to a later start time and DW lead-out. Then a couple of weeks later, it will be boosted by about 25pct when it has the 7m+ SCD lead-in.

Statiostically speaking, it most likely will be increasing. This is a grower.

So it's only going to be a success because it will be buoyed by other programmes? Something you criticise ITV for doing with Coronation Street, XF and Downton Abbey
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    I did not say for 'several years'! People are lying, I did not say that. I said 'for the last 18months'.

I'm pretty sure you said 5 years, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you said 5 years, but I could be wrong.
    Youre wrong. Why would i say 5years when the Voice was launched 2 years ago and I said it wouldnt rate close to the voices launch rating?!
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predicted before it launched that Tumble would be the biggest new entertainment success for the BBC since the Voice UK. As it stands, that is still the case.

Except Tumble has not been the highest BBC1 entertainment launch since The Voice UK. Break The Safe has achieved higher ratings. Even Reflex launched with 3.4m in January, higher than either episode of Tumble so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Except Tumble has not been the highest BBC1 entertainment launch since The Voice UK. Break The Safe has achieved higher ratings. Even Reflex launched with 3.4m in January, higher than either episode of Tumble so far.
    Those launched in better times of the year. Yes i was wrong statistically speaking but you know, its much easier launching a show in January than August.

An example is - Dancing on Ice. In 2012, it had a summer episode which got 3.8million viewers with a 22pct share ish. Earlier in that year with 22pct shares, its normal January series was getting 6milion.

Therefore given Tumble has been solid so far, with good traction to come, the longterm prognosis is very positive. It could thrive even further airing in another part of the year in 2015.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So this means either:

a) they don't exist
    b) they do exist, but you don't want to list them
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Yes, Splash did gain viewers. I'm not saying Tumble is a success. And, what you've said about Tumble is exactly what is wrong with the show. Splash did have more viewers at a period where viewership was higher though. I think had Tumble been executed better it would have had more viewers.

BIB - I rather doubt that, and for two reasons ...

First of all, like Strictly, Tumble was deliberately premiered at a dead time as far as TV viewing goes, to try it out with audiences. It would never get huge figures airing in August.

And secondly - and, for me, this is the crux of the matter - although I don't think the show is actually that bad, and way less tacky than it would have been if ITV had done it, the whole 'celebrities learn a new skill in a reality/entertainment format' is starting to look tired. Tumble at least doesn't look like an attempt to replicate another show (like that pathetic ITV attempt to copy Strictly last year very obviously did), but the basic premise is now very familiar, so much so that the gymnastics isn't enough of a twist to lure viewers in. They've seen it all before. Which is why entertainment chiefs throughout television need to up their game.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Those launched in better times of the year. Yes i was wrong statistically speaking but you know, its much easier launching a show in January than August.

An example is - Dancing on Ice. In 2012, it had a summer episode which got 3.8million viewers with a 22pct share ish. Earlier in that year with 22pct shares, its normal January series was getting 6milion.

Therefore given Tumble has been solid so far, with good traction to come, the longterm prognosis is very positive. It could thrive even further airing in another part of the year in 2015.
    It's a factually incorrect statement to make then unless you specify that you mean in terms of share only.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member

So basically you're saying its the biggest new hit on the BBC on a Saturday night launched in August, excluding other things you may have forgotten about. ;-)
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Youre wrong. Why would i say 5years when the Voice was launched 2 years ago and I said it wouldnt rate close to the voices launch rating?!

My apologies then.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    So basically you're saying its the biggest new hit on the BBC on a Saturday night launched in August, excluding other things you may have forgotten about. ;-)

Now youve got it !! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without a doubt, Tumble's ratings are underwhelming. But it could be worse - look what's happened to Sky One's hugely expensive flagship ent show:

Last night 336k.

Didn't this show used to get over a million (although admittedly on a Sunday night in Jan)?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    More people watching TV then as Tumble's share drops but rating is up slightly.

For the record, the total TV audience during Tumble's slot was up +1.0m week-on-week.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    First time I've posted for about a month and you are having a dig already :p

There has been a lot of predictability in this thread this summer, all the repeated faux shock at daytime/early evening ratings being down in a heat wave being the highlight.

Don't ever change, Andy. :)
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News: 2.94m (22.8%)
    BBC Regional News: 3.38m (25.2%)
    Pointless: 3.31m (22.7%)
    Tumble: 3.30m (20.2%)
    Lottery: Break the Safe: 3.44m (19.2%)
    Casualty: 4.26m (22.2%)
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.80m (26.6%)
    BBC News: 4.60m (27.3%)
    Match of the Day: 3.69m (29.2%)
    The Football League Show: 758k (14.8%)

Well the good news for BBC is that Tumble increased, although if you asked them whether low three million's is a success, the answer would probably be 'no'.

Another stonking figure for a Mrs Brown's Boys repeat.

:o:o WHAT!!!

That wasn't in the script, it was supposed to tumble! Cor Blimey O'reilly how has it managed that.

Anyway back in the real world it's still a very poor figure BUT (ohhhh a Capital but, two sugars please babe....;-)) it's no disaster and with the doc back next week it's probably escaped becoming an embarrassment, it's just not taken off.

Not a hit but not a flop. Try better next time, don't step over the white line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Without a doubt, Tumble's ratings are underwhelming. But it could be worse - look what's happened to Sky One's hugely expensive flagship ent show:

Last night 336k.

Didn't this show used to get over a million (although admittedly on a Sunday night in Jan)?
    What possessed them to move it to this time of year? It was surely better off airing in the winter. And the scheduling pattern is odd to say the least. Auditions split across Saturdays and Sundays, followed by the live semis from Bank Holiday Monday through to Wednesday 27th, then a day's break before the final on Friday 29th.

A mainstream channel might get away with this sort of scheduling but not Sky1. It did a job for them once a week on Sundays, more of an event that way. Big ask of the viewers to get them to tune into Sky1 almost nightly in the final week.

That said IIRC the previous series rated much poorer than the others. Can't remember why, if indeed we ever established a reason.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the rather early autumn weather boost the ratings this evening for all TV programs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could the rather early autumn weather boost the ratings this evening for all TV programs?
    I wouldn't call it autumnal here in the Midlands. Partly cloudy with some welcome bursts of sunshine; temps up to 18C.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    BBC News: 2.94m (22.8%)
    BBC Regional News: 3.38m (25.2%)
    Pointless: 3.31m (22.7%)
    Tumble: 3.30m (20.2%)
    Lottery: Break the Safe: 3.44m (19.2%)
    Casualty: 4.26m (22.2%)
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.80m (26.6%)
    BBC News: 4.60m (27.3%)
    Match of the Day: 3.69m (29.2%)
    The Football League Show: 758k (14.8%)

Thanks for these. Match of the Day's first edition last season averaged 3.84m (29.1%) in a 22:30-24:05 slot. Last night's ran from 22:30 to 23:55. So, despite the shorter slot this time, there were -0.6m fewer watching any TV during it and that is why the share managed to increase fractionally with -0.15m fewer viewers.

Similarly, Casualty is down -0.25m on a year ago but up half a share point. Break the Safe is however down -0.53m and -1.0 share point. Sharewise across primetime BBC One must have done a lot better than last year because That Puppet Game Show (2.03m/11.5%) and I Love My Country (2.77m/15.6%) are now just dim memories, and Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow (3.21m/16.5%) didn't repeat as well as Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it autumnal here in the Midlands. Partly cloudy with some welcome bursts of sunshine; temps up to 18C.

But it is getting more windy and its coming in from the north now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DS report is out. Very little detail though beyond BBC One and ITV with nothing at all for Channel 4. It could have been written by a Ratings Thread regular. ;)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a590881/bbc-ones-tumble-increases-audience-for-first-elimination.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tumble won its slot, demolishing Itv's gameshow hit Tipping Point by thousands of viewers.

Tipping Point averaging down 0.3million from last year's celeb run.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tumble won its slot, demolishing Itv's gameshow hit Tipping Point by thousands of viewers.

Demolishing Tipping Point! :D It was only 0.24m ahead of Tipping Point (even less including +1). Tipping Point is a cheap as chips daytime import, it shouldn't even be comparable in ratings terms to Tumble!

It's only down a bit as last year it aired on Sundays when there are more viewers. Facing another quiz won't be helping either, how is Break The Safe doing compared to last year?
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are Alastair Campbell and I claim my £5 reward....:D
  • Options
    FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of BBC LE shows, wasn't The Guess List seen as a success?
This discussion has been closed.