Options

Sky Sports 5 - European Football Channel

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    Never activated , yet watching the game now. Sterling just announced you have to activate to carry on watching then admitted he didn't know what that ment.

Sky really have lost the plot.

It was rather comical from Stelling. He said, "I hope you understood that better than I did" :D.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never activated , yet watching the game now. Sterling just announced you have to activate to carry on watching then admitted he didn't know what that meant.

Total farce.
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiBiase wrote: »
    Oh yes of course.

i've been watching SP5 since it first came on a few weeks ago.

Just put a call into them & the guy said my subscription had been put on 'hold' but had no idea why, seconds later he pressed a button & the channel came back on.

only 40mins of the match missed >:(

I see

And glad you now got SS5 ....think you may have just caught the goal 😳

And did you ask whether you were tied in for 2yrs free broadband ?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The frightening thing is that Sky is continuing with this charade which implies it is generating additional new broadband subs.

Because if they didn't think it was boosting new broadband subs then they wouldn't carry on doing it.

And the reason it is frightening is that it seems highly likely that at least some people are being persuaded to sign up to broadband because they think that if they don't they will lose SS5 (or even SS altogether).

Of course nobody would in fact lose SS5 (or SS) but most people won't be anything like as close to the detail of this as readers of this forum. So it seems likely that at least some people will be confused and that confusion will lead to them signing up to broadband when they would not have done so if they had fully understood the situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    semiminted wrote: »
    I see

And glad you now got SS5 ....think you may have just caught the goal 😳

And did you ask whether you were tied in for 2yrs free broadband ?

Im not a sky broadband customer, but i did make it clear to him that i do not want to be signed up for anything else at all & he said no he's just activated the channel.

Little concerning though incase ive been updated to different t&C small print on my contract.

I would guess that all non broadband customers had their service cut tonight in order to try & trick people into signing up with them. f**king disgusting from sky.
  • Options
    Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    The frightening thing is that Sky is continuing with this charade which implies it is generating additional new broadband subs.

Because if they didn't think it was boosting new broadband subs then they wouldn't carry on doing it.

And the reason it is frightening is that it seems highly likely that at least some people are being persuaded to sign up to broadband because they think that if they don't they will lose SS5 (or even SS altogether).

Of course nobody would in fact lose SS5 (or SS) but most people won't be anything like as close to the detail of this as readers of this forum. So it seems likely that at least some people will be confused and that confusion will lead to them signing up to broadband when they would not have done so if they had fully understood the situation.

Same here. This isn't sitting well with me because if any people have signed up to the 2 year BB deal because they've thought they had to in order to get CL football on SS5 then that is just wrong on many levels.

As I said a bit earlier in this thread I think we all presume quite a few have done so for this very reason. Not good from Sky.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in the other threads in the forum but Sky are showing one of the matches that was on the red button this evening (Ludogorets vs Steaua Bucharest) on the main channel, with it having gone to penalties and one of the keepers being an outfield player. I presumed they'd end the Arsenal match coverage and move on to other programming.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in the other threads in the forum but Sky are showing one of the matches that was on the red button this evening (Ludogorets vs Steaua Bucharest) on the main channel, with it having gone to penalties and one of the keepers being an outfield player. I presumed they'd end the Arsenal match coverage and move on to other programming.

That's one of the most incredible penalty shootouts I've ever seen. Defender in goal for Ludogorets and he saves 2 pens to send them into the CL Group Stages!
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never activated , yet watching the game now. Sterling just announced you have to activate to carry on watching then admitted he didn't know what that ment.

Maybe Sky are planning to spend the whole season saying 'Activate to keep on watching' and then come the Champions League final will cut if off for those who never did?! :D

I'm definitely planning to contact a regulatory body about this. Surely Sky have crossed a line here?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a ofcom matter or not?
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports 5 and Ludogorets trending on twitter - Marketing department going mad with joy at Sky! 😂 😂

Next week - The home of European football will be the home of the Bulgarian League! :D
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess that all non broadband customers had their service cut tonight in order to try & trick people into signing up with them. f**king disgusting from sky.

This is not the case. I'm not a Sky Broadband customer, nor have I activated the channel, yet it remains unencrypted tonight and I even received a letter this week to congratulate me for activating it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I'm definitely planning to contact a regulatory body about this. Surely Sky have crossed a line here?

I think that's a good idea.

If you do this I suspect the odds are that Sky won't get into trouble - however I also suspect there is a good chance that OFCOM will say that Sky now has to clarify the position - ie set date by which channel must be activated and if it isn't then encrypt - or of course just drop the whole "campaign".

Plus (if campaign is to continue) make it clearer that activation of SS5 and broadband are not "linked".
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's a good idea.

If you do this I suspect the odds are that Sky won't get into trouble - however I also suspect there is a good chance that OFCOM will say that Sky now has to clarify the position - ie set date by which channel must be activated and if it isn't then encrypt - or of course just drop the whole "campaign".

Plus (if campaign is to continue) make it clearer that activation of SS5 and broadband are not "linked".

Yes I agree with this.

I've contacted OFCOM as I personally believe Sky have crossed a moral line and clarity is required.

I agree the clarity you mention would be good - either Sky drop the campaign (which saves people the time/hassle/potential cost of trying to activate a channel that they're never actually going to need to activate to watch) or a firm deadline is placed for activation (which prevents this scenario of every week hearing you need to activate it to watch such and such and then being able to watch it after all - but if that continues there's always a small doubt about whether Sky might actually mean it that time!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to change the subject I don't think Sky would encrypt SS5 without proper notice - because if they did there is no way their systems could cope with the call volumes that would arise.

Approx calculation:

- 11.5m customers (including non-TV)
    - Assume average customer calls 3 times per year (my estimate but seems reasonable - some will call more often, some never)
    - Total calls = 34.5m per year
    - Average calls per day = 34.5m/365 = 945,000
    - Average calls per hour = 945,000/18 = 52,500 (only spread over 18 hours - as very few calls in middle of night)
    - Average calls at any one time = 52,500/10 = 5,250 (assume average call lasts 6 mins - ie 1/10 of an hour)

If the average number of calls at any one time is 5,250, the peak would obviously be significantly higher - say between 15,000 and 20,000 (as more people will call at peak times).

Now consider if they suddenly encrypted before a big match - say a match attracting 1 million (or at least close to 1m) viewers. Even if only say 20% of people haven't activated SS5 that would mean 200,000 extra people all potentially calling Sky almost simultaneously - ie on top of normal call volumes - and if it's a weekday evening at around 7.30pm I suspect that would be close to the normal peak time.

Of course not everyone would bother to call but compared to a normal peak of 15,000 to 20,000 simultaneous calls it is obvious that the potential number of extra calls would be way, way, way more than Sky could possibly cope with.

NB. All above numbers are approx but even if estimates are very substantially out the conclusion remains the same - it's obvious they couldn't begin to deal with the number of calls they would face.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My personal Sky Sports 5 story is that, in short, I had it activated automatically, without my say-so. It just appeared in my package one day (when I signed into My Sky). :confused:

The longer version of the story is that I'm eligible for BT Basic (very cheap line rental, with a call allowance on top), so I was planning on switching my phone and broadband service from Sky to BT in time for the start of the new season, while continuing to pay Sky for my TV, including Sky Sports, but getting BT Sport "free" with BT Broadband. Before switching though, in the first half of July, I kept calling Sky to see if they could go further than giving me 2 years of free broadband, trying to get an offer on line rental as well. They weren't budging far enough for my liking, but it was during this time that Sky Sports 5 suddenly appeared in my package. :confused: Strange. Anyway, I've since cancelled Sky Talk/Broadband (I was out of contract, so no problem with that) and switched over to BT. Nice to have avoided Sky's 18-month broadband contract. :) Sky Sports 5 still remains in my package though.

So I'm curious as to why this randomly happened one day, without my deliberate activation, and without me telling anyone at Sky that I wanted Sky Sports 5 activated.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now consider if they suddenly encrypted before a big match - say a match attracting 1 million (or at least close to 1m) viewers. Even if only say 20% of people haven't activated SS5 that would mean 200,000 extra people all potentially calling Sky almost simultaneously - ie on top of normal call volumes - and if it's a weekday evening at around 7.30pm I suspect that would be close to the normal peak time.

Of course not everyone would bother to call but compared to a normal peak of 15,000 to 20,000 simultaneous calls it is obvious that the potential number of extra calls would be way, way, way more than Sky could possibly cope with.

So I suspect they will not encrypt everyone at the same time - that would make sense of the vague statements like "you need to activate if you want to guarantee watching tomorrow's game": You may get to see the game without activating if you're one of the households not included in that batch of encryptions.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    So I suspect they will not encrypt everyone at the same time - that would make sense of the vague statements like "you need to activate if you want to guarantee watching tomorrow's game": You may get to see the game without activating if you're one of the households not included in that batch of encryptions.
    They're not going to encrypt anybody.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Is that your opinion or is that based on some inside knowledge?
    I can't see Sky encrypting the channel as it is unencrypted on BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and UPC Ireland. Sky customers would therefore feel a bit penalised if the channel went off air whilst their neighbours watching through other platforms continued to view it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »

They encrypted me last night, forced me into phoning up to get them to take the channel 'off hold' as the guy on the phone put it.

The channel had been working fine since it first appeared a few weeks ago, until suddenly last night it had a standard 'upgrade your subscription' page instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They encrypted me last night, forced me into phoning up to get them to take the channel 'off hold' as the guy on the phone put it.

The channel had been working fine since it first appeared a few weeks ago, until suddenly last night it had a standard 'upgrade your subscription' page instead.

Was it just SS5, or were all SS channels encrypted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Was it just SS5, or were all SS channels encrypted?

Just Sky Sports 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Sky Sports 5

Ok. I was wondering if it could be an unrelated issue as you're the only person who has reported it as bring encrypted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Ok. I was wondering if it could be an unrelated issue as you're the only person who has reported it as bring encrypted.

yeah could be, but at least its back working now.

last night i looked on twitter & there were a few others with the same complain, but not too many.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had to speak to Sky twice on (non-related) issues over the past few weeks. Once was a package downgrade (end of free movies offer) and the other a technical issue.

Both times they've pushed me hard on SS5 and two years of free broadband. During the first call I asked about encryption and the advisor confirmed to me that as a Sky Sports customer, SS5 would not be encrypted. He also confirmed that I was not tied into any BB deal (my 12 months free from last year has just expired).

I used both opportunities to express very strongly how wrong I believed their behaviour to be on this issue. I know they are only CS advisors but I do feel a polite expression of disgust at this tactic is appropriate, if enough people complain then it will get passed up the line. Neither advisor sounded surprised that I was rejecting the two years free broadband and both took my rationale professionally and with polite acknowledgement.

I read these threads daily so understand what is going on, what will be happening with BT next year, etc. The majority of the population won't understand the wider game at play and will be upset next August when they have a year left on their subs and SS5 is showing live domestic action from the Slovakian 3rd division rather than Europe's premier club competitions.

I am starting to agree with MLT11 and others that this is now an OFCOM issue. I will raise an enquiry accordingly and let you know if I hear anything.