Lucy

2»

Comments

• toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film. Surprised me as I was not expecting much. On a par with Limitless. .
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought on the whole this was an interesting film, and Johansson was excellent. However the editing for me was rather jolting in nature and took me out of the film quite often. Also, the ending was, to quote a friend of mine, Lawnmower Man territory.....6.5/10
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this very disappointing. The first 10 minutes were OK. After that it becomes like The Matrix, only without the matrix, or any of the things that made The Matrix good. I thought Lucy was going to be getting smarter, but in fact she just became a bit magic. Nothing that happened was believable. The action sequences were uninspired. So was the conclusion.
    She becomes god-like and can perceive all of space and time. It seemed to me that she would have encountered other beings like herself, and a whole bunch of issues way beyond the ken of us mortals. Keeping her focussed on the gun battle seemed tawdry.
    She never really did anything interesting with her power.

So by far the worst film I've seen this year. In a way I'm pleased. After seeing so many good films, I was wondering if I'd become non-critical.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    'Wildlife' come Action movie - good in parts, but overall - 6/10.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    Great film. Surprised me as I was not expecting much. On a par with Limitless. .

Ah, I might have to see this then, I enjoyed limitless. You knew it was based on pretty crap science, but it was still entertaining.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know 2 people who have seen it and said it was a load of tripe. They can usually watch anything.
    It seems this year is one of Sci Fi bollox at the cinema. Makes a change to vampires I suppose.
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Neither brilliant or rubbish.
    I think once you have a character who is capable of everything, it will always raise questions on why they didn't do this or that in certain scenarios to get out of them.
    Agreed it all got a bit odd towards the end.
    Surprised Johansson took on this role - she's a good acress but this was hardly a stretch considering Lucy has zero personality and just stands expressionless and mono toned for nearly all of the film. Mind you I doubt playing black widow was taxing for her either.
  • daveyp2007daveyp2007 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    it was a real strange one for me this one...

i really enjoyed it up to 80%, where to me it felt like they only had 80% of an idea, with the last 20% was just quite frankly ridiculous, and left a "what the hell was that" feeling.

The positives however is that Scarlet is an excellent female lead, and very watchable, the premise was enjoyable, and was much more than a "limitless for the dads"

Overall 5/10
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astonished at the positive comments, frankly. Got to be the worst thing I've ever seen at the Cinema.
    1) Utterly ludicrous that the chinese roll up right next to the french police as they enter the building.
    2) The whole "I'm turning into a computer" business was, well... unforgivable.
    3) The Jurassic Park flashbacks.
    4) The kiss. "What was that for?" "The trailer, dummy!"
    5) The chinese still after their $500 bag of drugs despite the space/time continuum being split apart.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Ah, I might have to see this then, I enjoyed limitless. You knew it was based on pretty crap science, but it was still entertaining.

I'd say the science is explained in more detail in this film but I liked it a lot too.

Just got back from seeing it - I really liked it. Quite short but it didn't need to be much longer really.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    J-Star wrote: »
    Neither brilliant or rubbish.
    I think once you have a character who is capable of everything, it will always raise questions on why they didn't do this or that in certain scenarios to get out of them.
    Agreed it all got a bit odd towards the end.
    Surprised Johansson took on this role - she's a good acress but this was hardly a stretch considering Lucy has zero personality and just stands expressionless and mono toned for nearly all of the film. Mind you I doubt playing black widow was taxing for her either.

The most taxing part was getting into and out of the outfit.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Was a bit put off by the trailer when he said "The average person uses 10% of their brain capacity", which is a myth.

Despite this, it sounds interesting and will probably watch it at some point.

"What's your name angel..."

One of my favourite films and judging by your user name, it's also one of your favourites. :)

That 10% nonsense annoys me as well whenever I've seen the trailer. Totally put me off seeing the film. I don't mind the odd bit of dodgy science in a piece of fiction if it helps the plot, but this is just too big a lie for me.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came out scratching my head, not because i was confused but because i couldn't work out if it was shite or brill.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Just back from seeing this, and I really enjoyed it. Brilliant movie. They made it captivating, the plot was simple to follow, it had dinosaurs at one point for god sake so whats not to love about that! I think these days people have too high expectations of films based on genre, production company, writer, producer or actors.

I feel this film is more suited to those with a higher degree of intelligence, but can still use the imagination.

It makes you question a lot of things, and even turns the ideas of science and Christianity on their heads. Had some good action scenes, dinosaurs, scientific stuff (there might still be powers that exist we don't know how to process yet), and light comedy. I giggled when she phoned her mum and said she could taste her breast milk.

The problem with humans is we get more and more intelligent as we age, but our flesh does the opposite. Imagine if we had something to boost our knowledge either before we aged, or stop our cells aging so our brains could keep multiplying.

stop moaning....enjoy life.....make it matter.....
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Just back from seeing this, and I really enjoyed it. Brilliant movie. They made it captivating, the plot was simple to follow, it had dinosaurs at one point for god sake so whats not to love about that! I think these days people have too high expectations of films based on genre, production company, writer, producer or actors.

I feel this film is more suited to those with a higher degree of intelligence, but can still use the imagination.

stop moaning....enjoy life.....make it matter.....

I'm quite highly educated with a love of sci-fi and a good imagination- but this was still utter she-hite.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I think these days people have too high expectations of films based on genre, production company, writer, producer or actors.

Patronising and self-flattering. Way to go.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I'm quite highly educated with a love of sci-fi and a good imagination- but this was still utter she-hite.

Educated simply means you've been filled with the information the government / local church wants you to know. Question everything!
    Patronising and self-flattering. Way to go.

That was not my intention, but this film is clearly not for your average Joe who can't get his head around the fact matter, energy etc can exist like that. Cells are intellegent. Someone like Lucy could be God, meaning both Jesus and Darwin are correct! (obviously the religion aspect has been highly manipulated by mankind though so no longer makes as much sense)

And theres the aspect of ghosts.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    this film is clearly not for your average Joe who can't get his head around the fact matter, energy etc can exist like that
    There you go again - you don't rate this 'average Joe' much, do you. Given that Lucy is proving a surprise late summer mainstream hit ($271m ww and rising) it's obviously found an audience with the average Joe.

If people have issues with it, then so be it. It's a piece of mainstream SF entertainment. You can't be dismissive about their opinion - or patronisingly claim the film isn't for them - simply because they don't 'get it' they way you do.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Educated simply means you've been filled with the information the government / local church wants you to know. Question everything!

That was not my intention, but this film is clearly not for your average Joe who can't get his head around the fact matter, energy etc can exist like that. Cells are intellegent. Someone like Lucy could be God, meaning both Jesus and Darwin are correct! (obviously the religion aspect has been highly manipulated by mankind though so no longer makes as much sense)

And theres the aspect of ghosts.

What an earth are you on about??

It's a terrible film, the end!
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    There you go again - you don't rate this 'average Joe' much, do you. Given that Lucy is proving a surprise late summer mainstream hit ($271m ww and rising) it's obviously found an audience with the average Joe.

I like to think it's more a case of us all being highly intelligent 'average Joes' who can in fact get our heads around the subject matter despite it being just sooo intellectual ;-)
    Rising up even in the face of such adversity, go us! Lucy would be proud.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon finally. I liked it, but .....

And I don't know what that "but" is :)

The trailer is very misleading because I certainly had the impression it was an action film with sci-fi elements, but it was anything but really.

The last 10 minutes probably spoilt it for me because it just felt like they wanted to fill up the rest of the film with .. something.

Still, not bad .. not great .. not crap .. but .. not bad .. i think :)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen it too. The trailer does make you think it's an action movie but it's more sc-fi than anything else. Scarlett was great imo. She did the role justice.

Visually it's strange with all the documentary footage spliced in to back up the narrative but you get used to it. Morgan Freeman gave some interesting speeches that made you think and yes the ending and what she became was a bit WTF. You are left with feeling 'is that it'?

It's not terrible but it's not great, just alright. Think Luc Besson can do better though.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I watched it yesterday. It's a sort of typical Luc Besson crime thriller. It's okay - but perhaps nothing special. I do think the film does fall apart in the last third of the film.