My Mum passed away today ...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
Forum Member
My beloved Mum passed away this morning. It was a blessing for her as she had been very ill for some time and I'm just glad all her suffering is over now and she is at peace.

Is it normal to feel nothing just now? I feel as if it isn't real. I haven't really cried yet. I feel as though all I have done today is tell people - family and friends. I've not had any time to myself.

Is is normal to feel like this?

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this GG. xx
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's normal. You've been expecting this for a while, but now that it's happened you need time to process events. Go get some sleep for tonight. Tomorrow is another day and all that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.
    People grieve differently and it may take you a little time for it to sink in.
    When my gran died I didn't cry until the funeral. Like you, I knew my gran was very ill and I think her death wasn't so distressing because I knew it was going to happen.
    I don't know if I've been any help, but I understand how you feel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's numbness, Glasgow_Girl. Especially understandable given she's been ill for a long time. Sometimes you can even feel euphoric, sick and all as it seems, because the illness and suffering is over.

It's up to you, and nobody else how you want to handle this. All I'd say is that balance it - don't totally cut yourself off but tell the people you trust that you need some time to yourself and that you won't be afraid to reach out when you need them and need to talk. And make sure they're the ones who will be around when you want to talk too. Times like this have a great way of showing who really is there for you and who isn't, but I know what you mean, people out of pure kindness can over-compensate and be a little too in your face even though they mean well.

Put up with the visitors, dinners being cooked for you, etc. for the next week or so before the funeral, but don't be backward in coming forward with your feelings either. Been here before with my Dad and my mum is in her 80s so realistically will happen in the future.

I am very, very sorry for your loss - go easy on yourself, put yourself first and your feelings for your mum and take lots and lots of time. Thinking of you xxx
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Condolences Glasgow Girl.

It's completely normal, and it's important to let your self feel, or not feel in your own time. There's no hard and fast template for bereavement and grief, everyone processes it differently, so don't judge yourself because you think that you're not doing it right. Just get through it the best way you can. x
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss. I am sure it is normal, your mind is a mix of emotions and thoughts at the moment. We likely pass people every day in the street etc going through similar. I hope all goes as well as it can now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Yes it's normal OP. When my mum died my sister and I made our way home (mum died in hospital) talking about how strange it was that no one knew what we'd just been through and the fact that we were now on our own.

You're so right. I'm driving home fromt he Nursing Home watching people walking down the road having come out of the pub or restaurant and I kept thinking they don't know that my Mum has just died..

it feels all unreal just now. I think it's going to hit me after the funeral. I talked to my Mum at least twice at day every day just to make sure she was okay, and I think when everything is back to normal and all the family have gone back to their various countries etc I'll find that really hard.

I put this poem on FaceBook to tell a lot of my friends as I would have been on the phone all day as I think it sums up my Mum:

You can shed tears that she is gone
    Or you can smile because she has lived
    You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back
    Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see her
    Or you can be full of the love that you shared
    You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
    Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember her and only that she is gone
    Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on
    You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
    Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Condolences OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your loss,their is no time on grief,thinking of you and your family at this sad time gg x
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear your sad news.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this.

My mum passed away 30 years ago, and I can remember that day as if it was yesterday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of you OP. Knowing its coming doesn't make it any easier! Don't feel you have to be a certain way though, just go with what feels right for you x
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this Glasgow girl, when my uncle died, and I was very close to him, I didn't start to grief until 2 days later
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss GG. My advice would be to get off the internet and give your head some space, you need real friends & family and some long walks and stuff, not a gossip forum online.
    No offence to anyone supportive here, but the internet is not much good for those in shock and grieving. Love and luck to you and yours. X
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. I know now it feels having lost both my parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may help a tiny bit. I put it in the Order of Service for my Mum's funeral.

All things pass
    A sunrise does not last all morning
    All things pass
    A cloudburst does not last all day
    All things pass
    Nor a sunset all night
    All things pass

What always changes?
    Earth... sky.. .thunder... mountain... wind... fire... lake...

These change
    And if these do not last

All things pass

By: Lao Tzu (Chinese philosopher, 6th century BC)
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condolences OP, what I can tell you is that the memories never go away.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss GG.

I doubt there is any "normal" way to feel. You feel the way you feel and you will probably feel quite different tomorrow and the next day.

Hopefully you and your family and friends will help each other to cope.

xXx
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. I haven't been in this situation but just wanted to say that however you are feeling is fine for you. No one else can tell you what you should or should not be doing or feeling.
    Make sure you have good people around you, not just in the first few days but also people that can support you for a good few months. You will have birthdays, Christmas and other occasions when you will particularly miss your mum and these may be difficult.
    One day at a time...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My beloved Mum passed away this morning. It was a blessing for her as she had been very ill for some time and I'm just glad all her suffering is over now and she is at peace.

Is it normal to feel nothing just now? I feel as if it isn't real. I haven't really cried yet. I feel as though all I have done today is tell people - family and friends. I've not had any time to myself.

It's completely normal. I've dealt with death in 'shell shock' before. Going through the motions, robotically - unable to express any form of emotion - possibly because the emotion is so huge, my brain simply wouldn't allow it. Perhaps as a deep primordial form of self-protection.

Don't feel unusual that the tears aren't immediate. They'll come.

Also, I'm really sorry about the loss of your Mum. xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your comments. I don't think it's quite hit me yet.

Paulie Walnuts, I won't lower myself to your level but think on this when you've watched someone die after looking after them as you best can for over 5 years from heart failure - when the rest of their organs shut down one after the other - when you had to sit and watch this day after day knowing there was nothing you could do, when they cannot do the simple things in life like go to the toilet and brush their own hair like I have just done, then feel free to come and comment. I also hope that when one of your relatives - whether it be a Mum, Dad, Aunt, Uncle or whoever it may be - dies you receive the same sympathy. Yes we all do die and there is nothing we can do about it, but when someone like me, who has just lost their mother 24 hours ago, it is not helpful to comment like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might like to try keeping a diary of how you're feeling from hour to hour. Something I found helpful was planning my Mum's funeral - what she would have wanted included in the service etc.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It certainly is, and I believe it is because you have been expecting it to come as your Mum had been ill and suffering for some time.

Both when both my Mum and Dad died a couple of years apart, I had been expecting it to happen. My Dad had been slowly deteriorating and his will and value of life had gone, I sat beside his bed for 5 hours until he passed away, I did not cry when the time came but certainly did the following day when the reality kicked in.

My mum died after 8 weeks in hospital after a major operation which was not a success and not even recognising me or anyone else, it was just a matter of time as I knew there was no chance of any recovery.

Time will take its course depending on the individual and if you feel the tears welling up, try not to hold them back and let them come, it will eventually pass.

Anyone who has lost a loved one will understand how you feel with the exception of a particular callous person who posts on here who just have no feelings for anyone whatsoever, just ignore the fool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your loss Glasgow Girl.
    I lost my Mum to cancer after 5 years of illness, just over 11 years ago. And I didn't 'react' for the first 2 days after her death. It was all numb and doing things and telling people. It didn't mean I didn't love her, or wasn't distraught. It just took a couple of days for it to come out. And then it hit me hard. I was ok during the daytime hours, looking after the kids & my brother and sister, making arrangements etc. It was when I went to bed that I lost it and cried and cried.

It will come GG and then it will get better in time.
    I wish you well hun.
    And keep in your heart that you cared for her the very best you could. That will mean much more to you in time x
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss GC. I lost my dad four years ago (like your mum he had been ill for a long time) and I didn't really feel anything at the time either-just numbness so what you are feeling is perfectly normal. You may have a range of different emotions in the next few weeks or months but I hope you are able to find support from family and friends.