Sam very unlikely to remain number 1 on itunes much longer!

DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,438
Forum Member
✭✭
Pharrell - happy is catching up quickly

http://kworb.net/popuk/

Comments

• TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people insist on focusing on negatives and trying to bring people down? It's great she shot up to number one and her version is awesome. So what if it drops from number 1?
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard it on the radio this morning and she sounds really good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iTunes isn't THE charts, you're forgetting the physical cd release.

Who cares if it gets to number one or not? It's never been the sign of real quality anyway, given the number of one hit wonders...
  • aclevernameaclevername Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skepticism wrote: »
    iTunes isn't THE charts, you're forgetting the physical cd release.

Who cares if it gets to number one or not? It's never been the sign of real quality anyway, given the number of one hit wonders...

I also thought she was going to do well on physicals. But her physical sales as of this morning were only 14,913.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought she was going to do well on physicals. But her physical sales as of this morning were only 14,913.

Oh really? Is there a source for that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Oh really? Is there a source for that?

It was posted on Buzzjack. Their sources are always correct.

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160730&st=140&start=140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was posted on Buzzjack. Their sources are always correct.

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160730&st=140&start=140

Hmm. Are Saturdays still the peak for physical sales or has that changed since all the HMVs disappeared? I guess supermarkets are the primary source for physical sales nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Hmm. Are Saturdays still the peak for physical sales or has that changed since all the HMVs disappeared? I guess supermarkets are the primary source for physical sales nowadays.

I'm guessing Saturday would still be a peak day, so her physical sales could still spike. But it doesn't look *too* promising at the moment. She should still get the Christmas No. 1, but she'd be doing well to reach 150k sales in total at this rate.

I've got nothing against Sam, just for the record. She wasn't my favourite (Luke was), but I'm not wishing failure upon her at all. I'm just objectively providing some sales info :)
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hardly anybody (sadly) purchases physical singles anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »

Yes, but the Christmas charts are an anomaly when it comes to physical sales. People DO buy physical singles - especially the X Factor releases - in large amounts at Christmas.
  • rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop being so negative on Sam. Its almost as if no one wants her to succeed!.

I find it very annoying and wrong!, all she is doing is trying to build a better life for herself and her family!
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »

I genuinely dont mean this in a negative way but I would have assumed a good section of the demographic who would buy her music would be the kind more likely to buy physical copies
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I wish people would stop being so negative on Sam. Its almost as if no one wants her to succeed!.

I find it very annoying and wrong!, all she is doing is trying to build a better life for herself and her family!

people were inevitably going to discuss the sales of the winner's single whoever had won

this is an x factor discussion forum after all

if the sales are weak then comments are going to reflect that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) Sam Bailey - 1.000
    2) Pharrell - 0.7150

Pharrell was at around 0.3 this morning, so Sam's lead has fallen quite considerably over the course of today. This is just iTunes though, with her physical sales taken into account as well as the very large surge early in the week she is still a shoe in for number 1 come Sunday,

Looking like it'll be the usual collapse down the charts in the following weeks though.
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Pharrell - happy is catching up quickly

Kworb means nothing.

1 Sam Bailey 86,7k
    2 Pharrell 30,4k
    3 Leona Lewis 24,8k
    4 Avicii 22,5k
    5 AC/DC 22,2k

She's coming for that Christmas #1
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be good for her to stay number one on itunes tho, as that is the chart that all the radio stations play on Sunday (except radio1 of course)
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Kworb means nothing.

1 Sam Bailey 86,7k
    2 Pharrell 30,4k
    3 Leona Lewis 24,8k
    4 Avicii 22,5k
    5 AC/DC 22,2k

Kworb means a lot. It tells us the song's position on iTunes and how much it's selling compared to others. Also, the colors tell whether the song's sales are increasing or decreasing. If the song is in dark red for a long period of time, it means it's losing ground.

Most singles these days are digital releases only, so Kworb is really useful.

Sure, Sam also has physical sales and she will most likely get her #1 single. Single sales are so low right now that securing a #1 isn't that hard. But her sales will be low compared to other X Factor winners. Expecting Syco to seriously invest in her after that would be unreasonable.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Kworb means nothing.

1 Sam Bailey 86,7k
    2 Pharrell 30,4k
    3 Leona Lewis 24,8k
    4 Avicii 22,5k
    5 AC/DC 22,2k

Looks like the entire Christmas singles market is dreadful this year. In the week where RATM beat Joe McElderry, RATM sold 500k copies and The Climb 450k.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Looks like the entire Christmas singles market is dreadful this year. In the week where RATM beat Joe McElderry, RATM sold 500k copies and The Climb 450k.

Jesus. And people were jumping on the Joe-will-flop bandwagon then too.
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far as I can see this is only iTunes and iTunes are not the official charts. Sam may drop from the number 1 slot but she'll still be No.1 for Christmas according to other reports I am reading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

Wow, those sales are HUGE!
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    noelw1969 wrote: »
    So far as I can see this is only iTunes and iTunes are not the official charts. Sam may drop from the number 1 slot but she'll still be No.1 for Christmas according to other reports I am reading.

She will be number one on Sunday, as the official chart is based on cumulative sales for the whole week. The iTunes chart reflects what is selling most right now - so even if she slips to #2 on iTunes before Sunday, she will still be number one in the official chart (although not the capital radio chart). The iTunes chart is an important indicator of position for the singles charts, as over 85% of singles are bought on iTunes, but as she has been #1 on iTunes all week, and still is, then she will be #1. The iTunes position for albums is less significant and you need to look at a combination of iTunes, Amazon and supermarket sales to get a feel for how high an album may chart.

The real issue for Sam is not chart position, as she will be #1, but actual sales, as they really are dire for a winner's single (particularly if you factor in that it is also a charity single, which should boost the sales even higher). This relative lack of interest will already have put a huge question mark over her head at Syco, and they will probably give her a very limited budget for both recording and marketing, which will have a knock on effect for her ability to sell the album. She may be given a little leeway on that as currently the "purchased" music market is in a terrible state, and most artists are making money from tours, rather than albums/singles. Sales of tickets for any tours she announces next year, will be a far better indicator of whether she has a long term career in the music industry.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    There is little correlation between the winner single sales and their future success. Little Mix sold relatively little but are one of the more successful winners for example. Shayne's winning single outsold Leona's.

I assume Sam's fanbase are far more interested in an album than a cover single anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total sales figures at midnight last night:

1. Sam Bailey 107k
    2. Pharrell 39k
    3. Leona Lewis
    4. Avicii
    5. Lily Allen

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/will-sam-bailey-and-one-direction-top-the-christmas-charts-2687/
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    On Kworb Sam's latest update is green, meaning her sales are increasing. The problem is that Pharell is also increasing, but at a faster rate.