Options

1,500 year old Bible claims Jesus was NOT crucified!

Comments

• Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing we didn't already know. There are many alternative Gospels that were rejected because they show Jesus as a teacher or prophet rather than a deity. These were left out by the Greeks and Romans who put the New Testament together in favour of the narrative we're all familiar with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that Bible's not in English...
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Either was the original
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Jesus wasn't, Brian was though.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's probably because Jesus and the people in his area didn't speak English.
  • Options
    psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acts 20 vv 29-31

I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That's probably because Jesus and the people in his area didn't speak English.

cue UKIP "bloody immigrants shoving their books over here in their own language"
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more interested if it were 2000 years old. I am interested that it is written in Aramaic - though I don't know what that implies.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acts 20 vv 29-31

I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

How do you know some of these "savage wolves" didn't get published in what is now known as the Bible?
    What if Jesus didn't actually die and the Bible was an attempt to slander the rest of his mission!?! :o
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be more interested if it were 2000 years old. I am interested that it is written in Aramaic - though I don't know what that implies.
    It says more about the origins of Islam than Christianity IMO. If this is an authentic artefact it gives clues as to where the Quranic version of Jesus comes from.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry, I wrote that last week and charred the pages with a blowtorch. Accidentally left it on the train...nice to know it's been found!
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acts 20 vv 29-31

Modern English translation:

"This is a bunch of s**t I've made up. Eventually someone will be smart enough to point out to you that this is a bunch of s**t that was clearly made up. But because I've predicted that will happen, it just proves everything I'm saying is actually true."
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Wait! What? Have I been gorging myself on chocolate Easter eggs for all those years for no good reason, then?
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barnabas... nice name :) ...Was he one of the original 12 disciples?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you know some of these "savage wolves" didn't get published in what is now known as the Bible?
    What if Jesus didn't actually die and the Bible was an attempt to slander the rest of his mission!?! :o
    The quote was from The Bible. I assume you must think that the quote is accurate.
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Barnabas... nice name :) ...Was he one of the original 12 disciples?

No. Try google first before asking such a question.
    He was a chum of Paul.

I am not impressed with this document.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Most of the bible is full of made up stuff, eg the red sea being parted, Noah's Ark etc - so surely it is no surprise is Jesus wasn't crucified. A lot of the other Jesus stuff in the Bible is made up such as the miracles he performed.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Most of the bible is full of made up stuff, eg the red sea being parted, Noah's Ark etc - so surely it is no surprise is Jesus wasn't crucified. A lot of the other Jesus stuff in the Bible is made up such as the miracles he performed.
    course it is..no rational sane person can believe he turned water into wine or walked on water or fed five thousand with a couple loaves and fishes.....unless he was the dynamo of the time
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    No. Try google first before asking such a question.
    He was a chum of Paul.
    Are you sure this is how your Jesus would have wanted you to answer?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they found that missing first page yet which reads "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres not one jot of contemporary evidence that jesus even existed.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    The quote was from The Bible. I assume you must think that the quote is accurate.
    Even the Bible must get things right occasionally. ;-)
    Law of averages.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm.
    I would say there are four (possibly five) pieces of contemporary evidence. However none of it is particularly strong, which is surprising if god did walk amongst us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

How long are you going to carry out this "Jesus doesn't exist/Jesus never existed" agenda/rant for? :confused:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Are you sure this is how your Jesus would have wanted you to answer?

In 1824...No. Far less information easily available.

In 2014...Yes. People should be encouraged to find out things for themselves.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think verifying it, dating it, and translating it should be the main thing here, before any conclusions can be drawn. Personally I don't think the Vatican should be the ones doing it.

It's interesting for me atm, because it could be an indicator that Islam was a school of thought well before I imagined. But first to sound like the cynical atheist I am, I needs proof. :cool: