Options

UK without Scotland

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with the UK? England, Wales, and NI are still united kingdoms.

Not really.........

the country became the United Kingdom when the two Kingdoms of England and Scotland were United to become one Kingdom

As neither Wales nor Northern Ireland are Kingdoms then there isn't another Kingdom for England to unite with

I suspect the name will remain the same though........after all the Monarch will stil be Monarch of Scotland so it'll still be one 'United' Kingdom but with 2 countries, one principality and one province.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Not really.........

the country became the United Kingdom when the two Kingdoms of England and Scotland were United to become one Kingdom

As neither Wales nor Northern Ireland are Kingdoms then there isn't another Kingdom for England to unite with

I suspect the name will remain the same though........after all the Monarch will stil be Monarch of Scotland so it'll still be one 'United' Kingdom but with 2 countries, one principality and one province.

Wales WAS a kingdom wasn't it? Mind they fought each other for ever so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't, but I think they were in the past?

Scotland hasn't been a 'kingdom' proper for many centuries anyway.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wales WAS a kingdom wasn't it? Mind they fought each other for ever so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't, but I think they were in the past?

Scotland hasn't been a 'kingdom' proper for many centuries anyway.

Scotland has been a kingdom for hundreds of years.........probably as long as England !

And of course it still is........

Wales was a Principality for several hundred years before the United kingdom was formed
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Scotland has been a kingdom for hundreds of years.........probably as long as England !

And of course it still is........

Wales was a Principality for several hundred years before the United kingdom was formed

Ah - but it was a kingdom once though no?

In which case the English and Welsh kingdoms can be united plus Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could call it WINE...it has all the letters of the remaining countries and would look great on passports.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep it as UK. We're still a united Kingdom even if Scotland decide to go it alone. Just because one party pooper leaves doesn't mean to say you have to change the name of the venue for the rest of the group.

As for the independence vote, if Scotland gets enough yes votes to leave I'll be very surprised.

I know a lot of Scottish people and the majority appear to be against such move. The only ones who seem for it can't say why except to rant at me with some interesting anti-English comments that sound very schoolyard sort of chatter but still don't make a great deal of sense. I'm sure some people can make a good point for it, but I've yet to meet anyone personally. I also suspect this is the reason as to why the voting age for this issue is low, to get more votes based on young uninformed emotion rather than fact or sense.

Either way, we should stay as the UK.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one hate the term UK and never, EVER, use it. It's a horribly cold sounding political name. I say Britain when I mean the whole Island.

I don't think for a minute Scotland will opt out of the union anyway, so this debate is very academic.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Just change Great Britain to include Northern Ireland?

NI already form part of Team GB so why not just let them be British?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U.K. without Scotland?
    A no-brainer, Greater Britain.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one hate the term UK and never, EVER, use it. It's a horribly cold sounding political name. I say Britain when I mean the whole Island.
    How about when you mean the whole island AND Northern Ireland?

-- UKMikey

PS British Organisation of Amalgamated Kingdoms :D
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U.K. without Scotland?
    A no-brainer, Greater Britain.

Hey, cheeky bugger, a veiled insult to us Scots....I think:D
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the outcome of the vote on Scottish independence it will create many problems. A case of unintended consequences I suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    How about when you mean the whole island AND Northern Ireland?

-- UKMikey

PS British Organisation of Amalgamated Kingdoms :D

I don't consider NI as part of Britain technically anyway. It's just Ireland to me. We should never have been over there anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't consider NI as part of Britain technically anyway. It's just Ireland to me. We should never have been over there anyway.
    It's not. It's part of the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It's not. It's part of the UK.

whatever! It amounts to the same thing!:D Britain's 'Territories'. I will continue to us 'Britain' whatever happens, and define myself as English lol much to the consternation of some I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever! It amounts to the same thing!:D Britain's 'Territories'. I will continue to us 'Britain' whatever happens, and define myself as English lol much to the consternation of some I know.
    It really doesn't. One is a geographical location and another a political grouping.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Hey, cheeky bugger, a veiled insult to us Scots....I think:D

yeah, just like the suggestion of "Northern Britain" for Scotland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It won't be Britain though, That's the point. England will be Southern Britain, Wales could be West Britain, and NI could be Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be Britain though, That's the point. England will be Southern Britain, Wales could be West Britain, and NI could be Northern Ireland.

Well ok. But whatever happens people will continue to call the country what THEY want, and identify as THEY see fit. Unless you want to penalize people for not using the official name.:D I will always call myself English, over British, and I imagine many people in Wales, and NI will too. What is officially used, is not what is always used among all the people, nor should it be.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just because the Scots may (more than likely won't) go it alone doesn't mean the rest of us can't continue to enjoy being Britain, the United Kingdom or whatever. The rest of us will still be united without them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well ok. But whatever happens people will continue to call the country what THEY want, and identify as THEY see fit. Unless you want to penalize people for not using the official name.:D I will always call myself English, over British, and I imagine many people in Wales, and NI will too. What is officially used, is not what is always used among all the people, nor should it be.

me too. English, me. Southern British.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    Just because the Scots may (more than likely won't) go it alone doesn't mean the rest of us can't continue to enjoy being Britain, the United Kingdom or whatever. The rest of us will still be united without them.

The United Kingdom of ????? and Northern Island

That's the rub. It's not The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island

The United Kingdoms of Britannia would be good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The United Kingdom of ????? and Northern Island

That's the rub. It's not The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island

The United Kingdoms of Britannia would be good
    The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Bit of a no-brainer really.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about "the Commonwealth of former Scottish Dependencies"? :)
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member

The British presence in Northern Ireland isn't the British Army. It's the Unionist population who have lived here for centuries.

Unless you have a problem with Black and Asian people in England as well or the Polish?

Either way should be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I can't see Scotland leaving anyway.