Pete's new girlfriend

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
Forum Member
Does anybody else think its weird that Pete is dating his dead best friends girlfriend?

I find this quite disturbing and it seems Cherry's morals are even more questionable that Nikki's!

Comments

• dugqdugq Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, it's hardly surprising that an event like that would bring them closer together. I don't see how Cherry is immoral because of it, is she supposed to remain celibate?
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not strange at all...sometimes tragedy brings people together..

Its quite common actually.

I've known at least two nurses have married the husbands of patients who have died in their care and and a brother who married his brothers widow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote:
    Not strange at all...sometimes tragedy brings people together..

Its quite common actually.

I've known at least two nurses have married the husbands of patients who have died in their care and and a brother who married his brothers widow

yes but they didn't get together after one of them became famous and rich :D
  • NorseRavenNorseRaven Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Dugg and Rosemary.
    Both seem happy so that is all that matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angella wrote:
    Does anybody else think its weird that Pete is dating his dead best friends girlfriend?

I find this quite disturbing and it seems Cherry's morals are even more questionable that Nikki's!

well i am not sure if it makes her morals questionable, but in this instance, as they were both present when he died, their feelings for each other probably have as much to do with their need to keep Joolz 'alive' as an attraction they might have for each other. they were both very young at the time and living in very vulnerable circumstances, then they wittness the death of a person that means so much to both of them . . .

IMO it doesnt necessarily mean that this is love ever lasting, in fact i believe that the longer pete continues to stay on the limelight the smaller the chances for them as a couple become. pete is at a crossroads in his life, and for now he feels it obviously necessary to hold on to something thats safe, something he knows IMO. in the long run he will have to make a choice which road he takes and only one of them can have spikey(gemma) in it.
  • dugqdugq Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silkey wrote:
    yes but they didn't get together after one of them became famous and rich :D

and thats where it all starts to look a bit dodgy.
  • SusannSusann Posts: 31,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angella wrote:

Well it's nice that you are looking ourt for Pete's interests :) But Pete's a big boy, and I am sure he and Cherry are in the relationship because they want to be, and that their feelings for each other are true. Whether they were brought together through certain circumstances is neither here nor there. They are happy, so maybe others should be happy for them also instead of second guessing Pete's relationships for him :)

No one knows whether it will last or not, but as long as they are happy at this moment in time, then that's all that matters where the relationship is concerned really :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game's over. Pete doesn't have to be in a relationship to win votes. Good luck to the both.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's unusual or strange, as others have said those who share experience of grief are often drawn to one another. And I'm not going to be drawn on the motivations of either Gemma or Pete in embarking upon their relationship in the way and at the time that they have.

What I would question, however, is how healthy it is in the long term for either of them. By getting together are they not locking themselves into that time when it was the three of them, Pete, Gemma and Julian knocking around together before the later's tragic death, rather than finding closure and moving on.

Is there really anything there, are they really soulmates, or is it just that it is comforting for them to try and 'hang on' to Julian and those halcyon days in some way by being together?

Maybe it will all work out for them both, maybe it won't, but I sense from some of Pete's comments and actions over the last few weeks a reluctance or apprehensiveness about letting go of the darker parts of his past, as if he finds comfort in the familiarity of the pain. Perhaps this is one of the reasons he found himself unable to embark upon 'new beginnings' with Nikki.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe that these peoples private lives are being discussed by strangers in this absurd manner, you know nothing of their history or Cherry's morals. It's entirely their business, it seems that he has found someone infinitely more compatable to date than Nikki and good luck to them, he has known Cherry for years and the fact that she once dated a mutual friend who died is hardly immoral! It's not at all uncommon to date different friends from a social group at different stages of their social development. I think for those mourning the break up with Nikki need to move on now and accept that it was a big mistake and respect Pete's choice in the new girl with whom he obviously has a much stronger affinity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    i'm not bothered about his relationship with nikki i never thought it was genuine so i'm not mourning it.That isn't why i started this thread,perhaps i should explain.One of my friend's boyfriend died last year and she is currently conducting a relationship with his best friend.Her previous relationship was a very serious one and they had a child. i think her current relationship is disrespectful to her late boyfriends memory and noticed the similarities in Pete's story and wanted to know what other people thought.

As for celebrity private lives being discussed it happens on here all the time!I never said i knew anything about Cherry's history or morals i simply stated my take on it that it seemsher morals are more questionable than Nikki's.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angella wrote:
    i'm not bothered about his relationship with nikki i never thought it was genuine so i'm not mourning it.That isn't why i started this thread,perhaps i should explain.One of my friend's boyfriend died last year and she is currently conducting a relationship with his best friend.Her previous relationship was a very serious one and they had a child. i think her current relationship is disrespectful to her late boyfriends memory and noticed the similarities in Pete's story and wanted to know what other people thought.

As for celebrity private lives being discussed it happens on here all the time!I never said i knew anything about Cherry's history or morals i simply stated my take on it that it seemsher morals are more questionable than Nikki's.

I dont know your friend obviously...but dont be too harsh towards her...its terribly hard to loose somebody you love and sometimes the only person you feel you can turn to is somebody who loved them too..

If anything they are probably trying to hold on to his memory :(
  • AimeeAimee Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angella wrote:
    i'm not bothered about his relationship with nikki i never thought it was genuine so i'm not mourning it.That isn't why i started this thread,perhaps i should explain.One of my friend's boyfriend died last year and she is currently conducting a relationship with his best friend.Her previous relationship was a very serious one and they had a child. i think her current relationship is disrespectful to her late boyfriends memory...

Do you? That's nice for you.

Wait until you've been there, then judge.

I lost my husband at 26 and started a new relationship the following year. The whole thing was very hard for me and not an easy decision to make and in addition to all that, I was worried that people might look down on me, just as you are doing to your friend now. My friends didn't.

I question how good a 'friend' you are if you can't support her. I DON'T question your friend's morals at all. She has done noting wrong or disrespectful.

You say you wanted our opinions then you don't like them when those opinions don't gree with your premise, well tough. It seems you are in a minority, and a selfish one at that.
    angella wrote:
    You didn't say you knew about her morals no, but you brought them into question thereby making a [negative] issue of them. Its not like you said 'I think this girl has great morals' you said "Does anybody else think its weird". The answer is no, we don't.
    Have we persuaded you? Are you going to give your friend the respect and support she deserves or are you going to continue feeling its weird?
  • Kiwi oneKiwi one Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aimee I agree with everything you say. What a terrible thing to happen to you and he was so young.

Reply to Angella

My Uncle was also 26 when he died and this was a long time ago. His wife married a year later and her new husband eventually adopted her daughter. My cousin grew up with a Father figure in her life and had a brother and sister as well. The circumstances were tragic and I have never met my cousin. I do know her Mother and Step Father stayed together until one of them died.

I think most people do what they think is right in a very difficult situation especially when they have a young child.

Pete and Gemma probably made a very close bond as friends as they had been through a horrendous time together. I think it quite natural that it develped into something more serious. This is my ho for what is worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    angella wrote:

There are two seperate issues here IMHO:

1) Why have you only questioned Cherry's morals?

2) Would you expect Pete to never make another friend because one friend died?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Reply to aimee
    Do you? That's nice for you.

Wait until you've been there, then judge.

I lost my husband at 26 and started a new relationship the following year. The whole thing was very hard for me and not an easy decision to make and in addition to all that, I was worried that people might look down on me, just as you are doing to your friend now. My friends didn't.

I question how good a 'friend' you are if you can't support her. I DON'T question your friend's morals at all. She has done noting wrong or disrespectful.
    You say you wanted our opinions then you don't like them when those opinions don't gree with your premise, well tough. It seems you are in a minority, and a selfish one at that
    Firstly i'm sorry for your loss obviously i haven't been through what you have so if i offended you i'm sorry for that also.I'm not a selfish person.I have been there for my friend since we were five years old, i took care of her baby when in her grief she was unable to.I was there when her baby was born in place of his father i have been there every step of the way.I was friends with her boyfriend also and know his friend so that is why i find it unsettling.I didnt say i didnt want to listen to opposite opinions to mine i do.I didnt intend to involve personal issues in this but i'm glad i did because all the people who know about my friends new relationship (they are trying to keep it secret because like you said people look down on it)are not comfortable with it so i'm and your story has made me rethink my position.i only refuted the suggestion that i needed to get over the nikki/ pete relationship because thats not what my post was about.
  • AimeeAimee Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angella wrote:
    Reply to aimee
    Firstly i'm sorry for your loss obviously i haven't been through what you have so if i offended you i'm sorry for that also.I'm not a selfish person.I have been there for my friend since we were five years old, i took care of her baby when in her grief she was unable to.I was there when her baby was born in place of his father i have been there every step of the way.I was friends with her boyfriend also and know his friend so that is why i find it unsettling.I didnt say i didnt want to listen to opposite opinions to mine i do.I didnt intend to involve personal issues in this but i'm glad i did because all the people who know about my friends new relationship (they are trying to keep it secret because like you said people look down on it)are not comfortable with it so i'm and your story has made me rethink my position.i only refuted the suggestion that i needed to get over the nikki/ pete relationship because thats not what my post was about.
    Fair enough. We'll say no more. :)