Who are Finlux?

13»

Comments

• henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finlux 24" televisions are identical to the Polaroid TVs in ASDW (now on sale).

I bought a Polaroid 24" this summer as it seems to be identical to a Toshiba and can serve as a computer monitor.

Look at the backs of all three and they are pretty much identical.

The owners of Finlux as pointed out are Vestel, a Turkish firm.

My Polaroid is made in China.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to 2007
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finlux 24" televisions are identical to the Polaroid TVs in ASDW (now on sale).

Not entirely surprising, both Finlux and Polaroid have one thing in common- they're brands whose original owners are long defunct (or dissociated from them) and are now freely licensed out to random distributors who want to give a spurious sense of familiarity and identity to otherwise anonymous consumer electronics.

(To be fair, the current owners of the Polaroid brand are at least putting more effort into its use on camera equipment, e.g. Zink-based PoGo printers and Lady GaGa marketing. But they're still whoring the name out for use on TVs and the like- their deal with ASDA to use the Polaroid name has no more meaning than Tesco's "Technika" own-brand does.)
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    Welcome to 2007

To be fair, while this thread started in 2007, it had already been necro-bumped in late 2011, and the last comment prior to his/hers was "only" 10 months old. :D
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brought back memories for me as we had a Finlandia in1969 for the Investiture of Prince Charles..Huge Concrete Block in Base of Wooden case and PO type uniselector for the Channel change..Broke down every week but we had half of Wembley in our house on the Day and a Naughty French Play " NANA" ..weekly.. in Colour was a Lads Evening and way back then was really daring....My wife enjoyed the Come Dancing Programme equivalent way back then..when it was 'Brucie' in charge..Who says Times Change?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    brought back memories for me as we had a Finlandia in1969 [..] Broke down every week

I wasn't even born when the first colour sets came out, but I'd already heard that the early ones were generally unreliable and needed careful adjustment. Having seen some of the internal circuitry (this one's a Philips, apparently)...

http://www.rockcity.adsl24.co.uk/philips/images/G6%20chassis%20lowered.jpg
    http://www.rockcity.adsl24.co.uk/philips/g6_chassis_design.html

...I'm not blooming surprised! Very old-school looking with plenty of wires, even valves, and discrete components ahoy- no integrated circuits back then to help reduce the increased complexity (I assume) that colour decoding required. Surprising they got anything that complex to work at all...
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very happy to read that Kodaz..
    I am now reminded that we were issued with a Large De-Gaussing Coil ..
    as every time the wife went within a Yard of it with the Vac.
    . the screen turned a lovely Magenta Colour and I had to do the 10 minute procedure to restore the picture..
    The sound was quite Good in the Sturdy wooden case..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    I am now reminded that we were issued with a Large De-Gaussing Coil ..
    as every time the wife went within a Yard of it with the Vac.
    . the screen turned a lovely Magenta Colour

I was going to ask you if it had a built-in degaussing circuit (most newer sets do, AFAIK, but I hadn't been sure about the older ones), and checking up before I asked the question, I came across this:-

http://www.rockcity.adsl24.co.uk/philips/oldnostalgia.html

"Warnings were given by the manufacturers not to move the set while dusting (unlikely as it weighed a ton), not to switch the vacuum cleaner on or off close to the TV, no speakers near the set and children were to be discouraged from running toys containing small electric motors over the screen. Any of these misdemeanours could leave interesting but disturbing patches of false colour where the CRT’s shadow mask had been magnetized beyond the capability of the [Philips] G6’s auto degauss system. " :D

(Okay, that was talking about a Philips model, but I can assume that the problem wasn't restricted to their sets).
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    Kodaz wrote: »
    I was going to ask you if it had a built-in degaussing circuit (most newer sets do, AFAIK, but I hadn't been sure about the older ones), and checking up before I asked the question, I came across this:-

As far as I'm aware ALL colour TV's had them, I've never seen one that didn't.

In fact older ones were more likely to have them, in the later years of CRT TV's manufacturers were talking about leaving them off.

(Okay, that was talking about a Philips model, but I can assume that the problem wasn't restricted to their sets).

The Philips G6 was the worst of all colour TV's :p