Options

Broadway Dims it's lights for Paul Newman

skinrayskinray Posts: 914
Forum Member
✭✭
Broadway will dim it's lights at curtain time to honour Paul Newman who died last week at 83.
The Broadway League, trade group for theatres said it "mourns the death of Paul Newman, the universally admired actor, director, and philanthropist".

I can't recall that happening since Lord Olivier died, but it is certainly so well deserved. Paul had an early success on Broadway in the William Inge play, Picnic. Later, he starred with Geraldine Page in Tennesee Williams controversial, Sweet Bird of Youth, they both later repeated their roles to even greater effect on screen.

Comments

• Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    A fitting tribute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So deserved. What a man...
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    A fitting tribute.

So true.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    Broadway will dim it's lights at curtain time to honour Paul Newman who died last week at 83.
    The Broadway League, trade group for theatres said it "mourns the death of Paul Newman, the universally admired actor, director, and philanthropist".

I can't recall that happening since Lord Olivier died, but it is certainly so well deserved. Paul had an early success on Broadway in the William Inge play, Picnic. Later, he starred with Geraldine Page in Tennesee Williams controversial, Sweet Bird of Youth, they both later repeated their roles to even greater effect on screen.

I seem to remember they paid the same tribute when Katherine Hepburn died and, as in her case, it is more than justified for Paul Newman too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember they paid the same tribute when Katherine Hepburn died and, as in her case, it is more than justified for Paul Newman too.

Yes of course, how could I have forgotten The Great Kate, and again, so well deserved ! :)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Heard about that on the way home tonight,

Beautiful tribute to a wonderful man
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    What a lovely tribute and very fitting too. Paul was a great man and a great actor.... he'll always be remembered too, unlike many of todays so-called "stars."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    What a lovely tribute and very fitting too. Paul was a great man and a great actor.... he'll always be remembered too, unlike many of todays so-called "stars."

Well, you won't be surprised to hear that one of those supporters of those so called "stars" had never heard of Paul. I guess he was never featured in Heat Magazine. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also dont forget that tonight from 6pm on skymovies they are showing a few of his movies:).

Fitting tribute for a wonderful actor and human being. Other celebs may want to take a leaf out of his book:).
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    skinray wrote: »
    Well, you won't be surprised to hear that one of those supporters of those so called "stars" had never heard of Paul. I guess he was never featured in Heat Magazine. ;)

He didn't need to be..... he was way above that trash rag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They do it when any Broadway star past or present dies. When Jerry Orbach (Law and Order, Dirty Dancing) died a few years ago, they did the same for him as he had been in several broadway productions. I seem to recall he was in the original Broadway cast of Chicago as well.
  • Options
    susan24susan24 Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marieb wrote: »
    They do it when any Broadway star past or present dies. When Jerry Orbach (Law and Order, Dirty Dancing) died a few years ago, they did the same for him as he had been in several broadway productions. I seem to recall he was in the original Broadway cast of Chicago as well.

Aww, Jerry Orbach.

Fitting tribute for one of the last great movies stars. Will miss those beautiful blue eyes and a very kind human being. Paul Newman was one of the greats.