EE 4G Coverage improving really quickly!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
Since EE launched 4G I have noticed 4G coverage improving all the time... Just 10 days ago I took a screenshot of the map over my area but zoomed out, then another one today. The difference is insane.

Check out the screenshots.

18th December: http://i.imgur.com/WBBxf.jpg?1

Today (29th December): http://i.imgur.com/0Ou4j.jpg?1

:D

Comments

• Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Mate they ain't hanging about. It's only going to get quicker and quicker this rollout malarky :)

By the time my current contract ends in March 2014 I *may* consider it (and as long as they offer more than 8GB allowance by then)
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    This time next year should be a very interesting picture from most of the providers.
  • barker71barker71 Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the areas where the 4g upgrades are happening does this also mean that back haul and the 3g dc-hsdpa upgrades happen at the same time ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mate they ain't hanging about. It's only going to get quicker and quicker this rollout malarky :)

By the time my current contract ends in March 2014 I *may* consider it (and as long as they offer more than 8GB allowance by then)

You're right there, are they gonna really quickly end up having 4G coverage that's like as good as 3G is now? It's moving a lot quicker than I expected it to.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ajh94 wrote: »
    You're right there, are they gonna really quickly end up having 4G coverage that's like as good as 3G is now? It's moving a lot quicker than I expected it to.

It isn't just the lte work going on, ee are doing a major refresh project and have been for some time now, mainly on tmobile sites. Lte kit has been there for some time and just requires switching on, hence the speed of the roll out.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It isn't just the lte work going on, ee are doing a major refresh project and have been for some time now, mainly on tmobile sites. Lte kit has been there for some time and just requires switching on, hence the speed of the roll out.

Only in some of the cities we've seen switched on so far.. From here on in there are upgrades to done first.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Only in some of the cities we've seen switched on so far.. From here on in there are upgrades to done first.

You'd be surprised..... Very surprised at the amount of kit that is ready to go.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember what I've read correctly, isn't the LTE rollout linked to a refresh of GSM equipment?

I am in Cornwall and I've noticed that I'm getting EDGE a lot more than I used to (almost never) - which I'm assuming must be due to the refresh. I haven't seen the GPRS indicator in ages, normally only when I am roaming on Orange.

Does this mean that EE could therefore be preparing the GSM sites around me for EDGE and LTE (to be switched on in the future)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty impressive, might just stick with EE now when my contract ends
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised, I live in a town called Ossett in West Yorkshire just between Dewsbury and Wakefield and I was bored the other day so looked at the EE 4G coverage and we now have 4G in our area!

Looks to have been switched on in parts of Kirklees and Wakefield, but no mention of this in their marketing and I signed up to receive emails when 4G launches in my area, but no email.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    You'd be surprised..... Very surprised at the amount of kit that is ready to go.

Yes but they'll still be awaiting upgrades to something along the chain ie Fibre etc. but totally agree, surprising amount of masts/cabinets done that are waiting to go live.

There should be a few surprises in the next few weeks. <keeping schtum>
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    I'm really surprised, I live in a town called Ossett in West Yorkshire just between Dewsbury and Wakefield and I was bored the other day so looked at the EE 4G coverage and we now have 4G in our area!

Looks to have been switched on in parts of Kirklees and Wakefield, but no mention of this in their marketing and I signed up to receive emails when 4G launches in my area, but no email.

Do you actually live in a 4G area though? I live in Greater Belfast and Belfast has it, but as it doesn't reach out this far yet so I haven't had an email.

It seems to be rolling out thick and fast though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    Do you actually live in a 4G area though? I live in Greater Belfast and Belfast has it, but as it doesn't reach out this far yet so I haven't had an email.

It seems to be rolling out thick and fast though :)

Yes my area now has 4G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my area now has 4G.

I won't expect an email then lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    I won't expect an email then lol

Well it seems a bit weird because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on twitter. The @EE account said to someone else that the switch on started from Leeds and is working its way outwards... But there's quite a gap in the 4G coverage between Leeds and Dewsbury/Wakefield.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems a bit weird because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on twitter. The @EE account said to someone else that the switch on started from Leeds and is working its way outwards... But there's quite a gap in the 4G coverage between Leeds and Dewsbury/Wakefield.
    It would make more sense to light it up in towns near Leeds then fill in the gaps that to expand the coverage out as a bubble from Leeds so that relatively-sparsely-populated areas were covered before reaching nearby towns.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Hope the same will happen here in liverpool, very slow speeds in evening :(

http://imgsq1.serversupportgroup.com/up/816a32d7ee9e22527e7f4b9db7270d7e.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielmeah wrote: »
    Hope the same will happen here in liverpool, very slow speeds in evening :(

http://imgsq1.serversupportgroup.com/up/816a32d7ee9e22527e7f4b9db7270d7e.png

Upload seems decent, strange that download is slower than upload.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    More coverage updates I see.
    The mast covering the EE call centre in Plympton (find Plymouth and go right a bit) is now showing. Also looks like its expanding elsewhere too.
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    The mast covering the EE call centre in Plympton (find Plymouth and go right a bit) is now showing. Also looks like its expanding elsewhere too.

A few new sites on the wirral.

Also a few new sites added in North Wales. There are other sites active in the area that aren't shown on the map too.

The Wirral is part of the Liverpool coverage area although I'm not sure why sites in North Wales are going live so quickly.
    Forum Member
    There was talk of Wales being covered by spring. Don't know where it came from though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like it has improved over here a wee bit as well. The areas that had it now seem to have better coverage and it has spread out a bit. It's now sparse the whole way around Dundonald with none actually in Dundonald - typical :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester and Liverpool have almost merged into one big block of 4G. I have also noticed Chelmsford in Essex is now blanketed in 4G, LTE is moving very very close to where I live and LTE is now just 10 miles from me! I really can't believe how quick they are rolling this out. I didn't expect to have 4G here for ages, looks like it might not be long
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    There was talk of Wales being covered by spring. Don't know where it came from though.

I have also seen people up the 3/Tmobile masts messing with the antenna's a few times round here
    Forum Member
    ajh94 wrote: »
    Manchester and Liverpool have almost merged into one big block of 4G. I have also noticed Chelmsford in Essex is now blanketed in 4G, LTE is moving very very close to where I live and LTE is now just 10 miles from me! I really can't believe how quick they are rolling this out. I didn't expect to have 4G here for ages, looks like it might not be long

It's because it's not that technically difficult to do. LTE is effectively following the existing 2G coverage. It's not quite that simple because 2G uses TDMA which requires precise cell overlap tuning. LTE is easier to roll out requiring only power level adjustments like UMTS. I think LTE is even easier though as adjacent cells can communicate directly with one another using something called X2 meaning they can self organise better than 3G.
    Please someone correct me if that's bollocks :)