Digital Camera Questions

Hi there

just bought my first digital camera and have a couple of questions.

I've bought a smart card from ebay, and the camera's user guide states that it can only use 3.3v smart cards not 3v. i'm unsure which voltage the one i've ordered is. does this really matter ?

i've also ordered a battery charger and rechargeable AA batteries. again, the user guide states that only NON-rechargeable AA batteries should be used. does this really matter ?

thanks

Comments

• Peter LitlerPeter Litler Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The voltage of logic levels was decreased from 5volts to 3.3volts.However,the use of a 3.0volt card may well cause malfunction.The use of rechargeable AA batteries is not suitable either,as these are 1.2volts each rather than the normal 1.5volts.Rechargeable batteries also have a different discharge characteristic which makes them unsuitable for low current draw devices.As always,the instruction book is the best guide to follow!
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voltage of logic levels was decreased from 5volts to 3.3volts.However,the use of a 3.0volt card may well cause malfunction.The use of rechargeable AA batteries is not suitable either,as these are 1.2volts each rather than the normal 1.5volts.Rechargeable batteries also have a different discharge characteristic which makes them unsuitable for low current draw devices.As always,the instruction book is the best guide to follow!
    You think digital cameras are low current draw devices? These things gooble batteries at a phenomenal rate.

Although a "normal" battery may be rated at 1.5volts when it is being used (under load) this drops and dependent on how much power is being used it can drop below the 1.2 volts of a rechargeable.

Rechargeable batteries however have very little internal resistance and so when under load their voltage drops very little by comparison.

I have a digital camera that came with rechargeable batteries (NiMH type) and another that says you can use them in it so I don't see you having a problem here.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used rechargargeables NiMH's in my ancient digital camera and it worked except that the 'low batt' light was always on due to the lower voltages of the NiMH's....

New cameras seem more tolerant and should generally work fine unless the manual specifically says not to use them.

I'd also say that digital cameras are probably one of the most highest batterty current consuming devices about!
  • Peter LitlerPeter Litler Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I dont own a digital camera I dont know what the consumption rate is,but this is one reason manufacturers give for not using rechargeable batteries in certain products.I think its a good idea to follow the specific recommendations for a product though,the manufacturer wouldnt state this in the user guide if it didnt really matter!