Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I scratch my testicles.

Oh sorry, I thought this was a self help thread. :o
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    Just heard an advert on the radio asking people not to flush cooking fat and wetwipes down the toilet

I flush both. :(

You're a bit dim then aren't you?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who the hell puts cooking fat down the frikking toilet :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does on the Greek islands, where the sewer pipes aren't wide enough to cope with even normal bog-roll. They keep a wicker bin beside the loo for all their used paper. Imagine that in 35 degrees heat.

I can't do it. I just cant!

Whenever I'm in holiday & they have those signs up, I'm afraid they just get ignored.

I know that makes me a terrible human being... But the thought of used toiled paper, and the smell of it, sitting in a bucket a few meters away from where I'm sleeping...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This title was always going Togo to many pages
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember going to a public place which was 1960s style and it was in this country and when I went to the toilet, there was a bin next to the toilet and a notice requesting us not to flush toilet paper down the toilet! (But I did anyway).
  • Options
    Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I can't do it. I just cant!

Whenever I'm in holiday & they have those signs up, I'm afraid they just get ignored.

I know that makes me a terrible human being... But the thought of used toiled paper, and the smell of it, sitting in a bucket a few meters away from where I'm sleeping...

I was in Tenerife in February and never once put my poo stained toilet roll in the bin, that's just uncivilised. They need to sort themselves out and get to a place where it's acceptable to flush loo roll.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On another note; I was told by a plumber to flush the loo a spare couple of times every day. This keeps more water down the sluice and helps keep it clear. He said most problems now are people on water meters not putting enough water down the drain, or people not running taps enough. The drains need plenty of water to function, and blockages occur when stuff builds up without enough water to carry it into the big main. He must be right because 2 people I know, who are both on water meters, and cut back on their water usage, have both had dynorod out due to problems.
    Also; if you are in a pre-war property; it's probably got a rat-trap in the sewer pipe. These were done away with post-war, and people who flush wetwipes can end up with these traps blocked whereas other properties don't.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    I was in Tenerife in February and never once put my poo stained toilet roll in the bin, that's just uncivilised. They need to sort themselves out and get to a place where it's acceptable to flush loo roll.

Another option is to take nappy bags with you when you go abroad. Put your soiled toilet tissue into the nappy bag and tie it tightly, then place it in the bin provided. If necessary, place the sealed bag into another nappy bag (double bagging).

ETA: One could say that, in comparison to some countries where they use bidets or very modern toilets that have a little shower doo-hicky to clean your dirty bottom, that we are the uncivilised ones by still using toilet paper ;)

That thread the other day about toilets proved interesting, led me to reading about countries where they consider wiping with toilet paper a very old-fashioned thing to do. Reading up on it, water is the much better option and much nicer for the old arse too :D
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP. Has your toilet blocked yet?

Still putting wipes etc down the toilet?
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that a large utility company, eg Thames Water, or better still all of them together, should create a defined standard for any paper or wipes, based upon how quickly it disintigrates in turbulent water

They could create a stamp or crest or something that manufactuters could use on their packaging once their product meets the standard. This would put pressure on manufacturers to try and develop a better product, and be seen to be environmentally caring, and give an incentive to be the first to achieve it and get a march on their oposition.

I believe there are discussions between water companies and wipes manufacturers, but at present while manufacturers continue to sell "flushable" wipes which do not break down, they do not seem to be trying very hard. So I think water companies should be more proactive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that a large utility company, eg Thames Water, or better still all of them together, should create a defined standard for any paper or wipes, based upon how quickly it disintigrates in turbulent water

They could create a stamp or crest or something that manufactuters could use on their packaging once their product meets the standard. This would put pressure on manufacturers to try and develop a better product, and be seen to be environmentally caring, and give an incentive to be the first to achieve it and get a march on their oposition.

I believe there are discussions between water companies and wipes manufacturers, but at present while manufacturers continue to sell "flushable" wipes which do not break down, they do not seem to be trying very hard. So I think water companies should be more proactive.

Yes it seems a good idea, although you are still relying on the public to follow the rules - whatever they may be - that are set down. You'll always get lazy or ignorant people doing whatever they like, although if it stops even half of it then it'd be better than nothing. Every little helps (as the supermarket says :D).
  • Options
    Gordon gGordon g Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work for a company who does a lot of work for the big water companies, and I see the damage these wipes can do.
    It's not just sewers they block. It is the Pumps at the pump stations and the cso's
    It's not just wipes either. people flush loads of pregnancy tests down the loo, and even clothes.
    We had to replace a 27k pump once because someone had flushed a pair of shorty denim shorts down the bog. The thermal cut out failed and burnt the pump to a crisp.
  • Options
    JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Crete is like that. The sewage pipes are very narrow and cannot cope with great wodges of toilet paper, so there's a bin by everyone's toilet. You soon get used to it!

WTF you saying put used toilet roll in the bin YUK:o
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDF wrote: »

Jeez, imagine the smell when the temps are high :o
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... The drains need plenty of water to function, and blockages occur when stuff builds up without enough water to carry it into the big main. ...
    One I am sure I've mentioned before, a toilet stopping up and the letting agency trying to convince the landlord to get a load of work done when the problem was that someone (no reason for the tenant do that, it was unmetered) had adjusted the water level in the cistern down to its minimum possible setting.

The result was that it would seem to work for a while and then stop up again, thus requiring another visit from the plumber.

So the bit about making sure there's enough water going through has merit even at the smallest domestic level - and there's also the lesson that when someone tries technical talk about 'not enough draw on the pipe' it is worth asking what has changed such that the 100-year-old and still intact pipe is now apparently not working any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People have been putting used nappies (in a nappy bag) in bins** for a long time, it's the same thing.

ETA: Designated bins of course :D
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    If nobody did it the manufacturers of toilet wipes would make people redundant, shops would sell less and so need fewer staff, plumbers would suffer a drop in business, drain maintenance companies would go out of business, the treasury would incur losses in tax revenue. The list is endless.

No... flushing extraordinary objects down the lavatory is good for the UK.

Ah, the litter lout defence.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I can't help noticing that shops sell special wet wipes for bottom-cleaning purposes. I am not sure how many people use them, but presumably someone does. I am more than happy to put my make up remover in the bin, but I would draw the line at those.

There are some which are flushable. However, best not to use too many at a time. Use toilet paper as normal and then finish with one wet wipe.

Result - clean bottoms! :D
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP do not throw wet wipes down the loo, even if it says on the packet that you can. We used to and all the drains in our street got blocked.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you never been abroad
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we have a macerator loo. It can't cope, as I discovered, with human hair either. I was in the habit of fishing any shed hair out of the shower plughole and chucking them into the loo. Don't do this with a macerator loo! £100 to have the macerator cleared. :cry: And I don't think it has been quite the same since.

The stupidest thing I came across was someone who blocked their sewer by lifting up the manhole in their garden and chucking BAGGED dogpoo into it.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that macerators have issues with certain bodily emissions, namely dog vomit after said dog has eaten lots of grass.

There was a huge bang from the macerator about five seconds after I flushed the loo, followed by a six hundred pound bill to replace the whole system
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My idiotic neighbour sweeps her rubbish into the drains.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in a house with a septic tank certainly concentrates the mind re what does and does not get flushed down the bog.

I am a user of wet arse wipes but they always go in a separate bin.

My city dwelling niece and nephew thought I was being a miserable and grumpy old uncle when they visited at Christmas a few years ago and on arrival I read them the riot act about arse wipes, tampons, makeup wipes, cotton buds etc.

I was less than sympathetic several days later when they were leaving and they had to navigate their way through a large puddle of pee and shit to get to their car.

Several cases of beer were supplied to me as recompence for me having to clear out the drains and there have been no reoccurances.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    We only use the 'flushable' wet wipes anyway, so shouldn't have this problem.
This discussion has been closed.