Max in savings before you can apply for council house

WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there a maximum amount you can have in savings before you can apply for a council house as I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
I have a certain amount in savings and wondered if this would hinder me in my application.

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Best people to ask would be your local council, Most councils have very long waiting lists.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you use your savings as a deposit on a flat, or house? You can then use your income to pay a mortgage rather than rent. What's more, you can choose where you live.
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am living in private accommodation at the moment but have
    been made redundant. I have a certain amount of money in savings but those savings are dwindling where over £500 a month goes out.
    I'm not too sure when if ever I am going to be re-employed as I am
    nearly 60.
    I was thinking that it was best to apply now for a council house as I won't be able to afford to stay on where I am.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Weetibix wrote: »
    I am living in private accommodation at the moment but have
    been made redundant. I have a certain amount of money in savings but those savings are dwindling where over £500 a month goes out.
    I'm not too sure when if ever I am going to be re-employed as I am
    nearly 60.
    I was thinking that it was best to apply now for a council house as I won't be able to afford to stay on where I am.
    apply, they can`t take anything away from you for having a go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apply, they can`t take anything away from you for having a go.

I am going to apply...in fact I've filled out the form and got all
    the information they ask for. I just wondered why they wanted to know how much I had in savings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just had me worried of whats going to happen to me when my savings have run out and I can't afford to live here. Do I just end up on the streets? Seems a tad unfair after working solid all my life.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the information they ask for. I just wondered why they wanted to know how much I had in savings.

not sure whether councils do have a savings limit to go on the list

but one reason they may ask is that they work in partnership with other social housing providers (housing associations)
    these may well have such limits
    and they often like to ensure that not all their tenants are claiming housing benefit and there is a savings limit there
    so that may effect whether the council pass your info on

also the council may simply want to now if they need to send you the appropriate forms to claim HB if/when they do other you housing
    Forum Member

[as an aside] have you applied for housing benefit at all? if your savings are dwindling perhaps you should look at that too, a trip to the cab would probably stand you in well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [as an aside] have you applied for housing benefit at all? if your savings are dwindling perhaps you should look at that too, a trip to the cab would probably stand you in well.

I haven't applied for housing benefit yet as currently I have over
    £16,000 in savings. A trip to CAB is a good idea I hadn't thought of that...thanks
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I just wondered why they wanted to know how much I had in savings.

It's probably because if you have over a certain amount they may place you in a lower priority group or perhaps prevent you from going on the housing register at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably because if you have over a certain amount they may place you in a lower priority group or perhaps prevent you from going on the housing register at all

So then when my savings run out which won't be too long what happens then?..........I end up on the streets?
    I've worked all my life and saved money where I can.
    It all seems unfair.
    The idea of having nowhere to go really scares me.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So then when my savings run out which won't be too long what happens then?..........I end up on the streets?
    I've worked all my life and saved money where I can.
    It all seems unfair.
    The idea of having nowhere to go really scares me.

£500pm outgoings on £16,000 is going to last you 32 months, so you won't be running out "very soon".
    that gives you plenty time to find somewhere cheaper at the very least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with social housing. it should be there for the people who cannot afford to rent/buy in the private sector. Someone with £16k in savings is more than able to rent in the private sector and that size of savings will give plenty of time to find an income source.

This idea that anyone should be able to apply for a council house, and then keep it indefinately, regardless of income, annoys me. Social housing should be used as a short term safety net. If I had my way, all tenancies would be reviewed every 5 years and if your income level was such that you could afford to rent in the private sector, your tenancy would be terminated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    £500pm outgoings on £16,000 is going to last you 32 months, so you won't be running out "very soon".
    that gives you plenty time to find somewhere cheaper at the very least.

What fantasy world do you live in ?
    You conveniently forget there are other outgoings aswell such as food, council tax, gas, electricity, water, etc
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    once they go below 16k they can apply.

they dont have to wait till its all gone.

saying that, we have the millionaire bob crow still in a council house!
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What fantasy world do you live in ?
    You conveniently forget there are other outgoings aswell such as food, council tax, gas, electricity, water, etc

you said your outgoings were £500pm.

can i suggest you stop using the "victim" mentality here and get up off your ass and actually do something about it. find a cheaper private place for starters.

you seem to have the mentality that, because you're 60, there are no jobs for you at all and the state now owes you something. have you actually looked? are you actively looking for a job?
    Forum Member
    thedrewser wrote: »
    This is the problem with social housing. it should be there for the people who cannot afford to rent/buy in the private sector. Someone with £16k in savings is more than able to rent in the private sector and that size of savings will give plenty of time to find an income source.

This idea that anyone should be able to apply for a council house, and then keep it indefinately, regardless of income, annoys me. Social housing should be used as a short term safety net. If I had my way, all tenancies would be reviewed every 5 years and if your income level was such that you could afford to rent in the private sector, your tenancy would be terminated.
    perhaps you could start a thread somewhere appropriate and discuss it.
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TOTALLY AGREE!
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the problem with social housing. it should be there for the people who cannot afford to rent/buy in the private sector. Someone with £16k in savings is more than able to rent in the private sector

That doesn't follow. You can have £1,000,000 in the bank, but with no job and no references you will have a hard time finding somewhere to rent. (Of course with £1m you can probably buy outright, but not rent; it's ridiculous really.)

That was pretty much my situation (apart from the £1m bit); no job, but plenty of savings to pay rent out of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you said your outgoings were £500pm.

can i suggest you stop using the "victim" mentality here and get up off your ass and actually do something about it. find a cheaper private place for starters.

you seem to have the mentality that, because you're 60, there are no jobs for you at all and the state now owes you something. have you actually looked? are you actively looking for a job?

Ah that was my error.......I meant that my rent is over £ 500 a month. ( £525 to be precise )
    I've been looking for a job for over a year now and had no luck.
    I've worked hard all my life so please don't try and give me a lecture on work ethic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    That doesn't follow. You can have £1,000,000 in the bank, but with no job and no references you will have a hard time finding somewhere to rent. (Of course with £1m you can probably buy outright, but not rent; it's ridiculous really.)

That was pretty much my situation (apart from the £1m bit); no job, but plenty of savings to pay rent out of.

But the savings must have come from somewhere.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Housing Associations in your area ?

It might be different in Scotland but I don't
    recall my bank balance being an issue when I took out
    a tenancy.
  • zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP your age might be an advantage when applying for a council house as they tend to have properties specifically for over 60s (sometimes over 50).

As far as renting privately is concerned have a look on your local councils website as they should have information there about Local Housing Allowance rates. The amount you could potentially get depends on how many bedrooms you need. If you're single/couple you would need 1 bedroom & that's the maximum amount you would get once your savings had dropped to £6k. Between £6k & £16k you should qualify for some help towards your rent. If the current LHA rate is nowhere near as much as you are paying then you will know you need to find somewhere cheaper.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the savings must have come from somewhere.

That doesn't change the fact that if you have savings instead of a job, you will have a hard time finding somewhere to rent (or applying for a credit card etc). It doesn't matter where the savings came from. The first thing you will be asked is 'Are you working?'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    That doesn't change the fact that if you have savings instead of a job, you will have a hard time finding somewhere to rent (or applying for a credit card etc). It doesn't matter where the savings came from. The first thing you will be asked is 'Are you working?'

Hence why the whole social housing system is broken. It needs to be means tested and all of your wealth taken into account.