Should Kirkwood step away from Hollyoaks?

Comments

• MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    You know how it is Woody, people called Carl Costello's loss from the show the WORST DECISION EVER MADE, and Anna Blake and now Jim funnily enough :D. You're not trying to tell me you thought Gilly was one of the best characters are you? :D but no I agree with the rest.

Pete! I think PM had big plans for Pete but those got lost in the changeover between PM and GP.

He wasn't bad though was he? He was just a normal, likable bloke (till his poorly written exit anyway). We need more characters like him. Most of the men in the village now are either gangsters, psychopaths or barbie Ken dolls. :(
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    I think they worked well together and brought out the best in each other.

The opposite. Personality transplants included. I shudder remembering it.
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    He wasn't bad though was he? He was just a normal, likable bloke (till his poorly written exit anyway). We need more characters like him. Most of the men in the village now are either gangsters, psychopaths or barbie Ken dolls. :(

Yes, agreed. Likeable, believable characters are what's desperately needed. Even if you had extreme characters like say Mitzeee who on paper sounds shallow etc - had a massive heart and was relatable with her insecurities.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    He should step away from all TV soaps.

Does this Sienna spoiler involve cheating? It seems it's all he can think up.

Auntie Gelinda ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dublin stuff was fab. One of my watering holes was featured lol

Dublin stuff was indeed fab. Well, I wasn't so big on the very first episode. The rest, yes yes yes.

BIB: That's pretty cool :) I like Dublin.

She would have been there when they filmed it in October as far as I know, but BK was around working alongside Kathleen Beedles too I think.

I don't really know anything at all about Kathleen Beedles (BK is really the only producer I've actually been interested in information about) but she was good?

I remember BK used the words "working alongside ES". The impression that they had come up with the bus crash together. To what extent is anyone's guess, but I personally definitely felt like BK was all over my screen late 2012. Mostly cuz like I said, a lot of his original characters suddenly went right back to their earlier selves.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's strange how his first stint was brilliant and how bad he is now
    Forum Member
    Pom Pom wrote: »
    I don't really know anything at all about Kathleen Beedles (BK is really the only producer I've actually been interested in information about) but she was good?

Brilliant. She was the story consultant from July to Feb (I think Feb, I'd have to check). She was apparently wonderful at producing Emmerdale and certainly on Twitter (and in person - I met her in late 2012) she was bang on the money with every character and story. She was brought in to help turn the show around (boost ratings I guess) and you can see the shift in quality in the stories.

Maybe that's what they need now, cos for me it's the stories that are a huge problem. Casting and acting has always been up and down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said as much a few pages back. Tony Wood was exec of Corrie from 2003 to 2005. This was one of the most successful eras in the shows history. I think we have to assume a lot of Hollyoaks success during BKs first stint was with the help of Tony.

I missed this somehow, sorry!

I am starting to come around to the idea that Tony Wood did indeed have a lot to do with the awesomeness of the BK's first era. BK...the dude obviously has something going for him in terms of brilliant ideas... Maybe he just needs a partner to tell him when he's being a total idiot.

Brilliant. She was the story consultant from July to Feb (I think Feb, I'd have to check). She was apparently wonderful at producing Emmerdale and certainly on Twitter (and in person - I met her in late 2012) she was bang on the money with every character and story. She was brought in to help turn the show around (boost ratings I guess) and you can see the shift in quality in the stories.

Maybe that's what they need now, cos for me it's the stories that are a huge problem. Casting and acting has always been up and down.

Why did she leave? Her choice, I'm guessing?

Right now...man, I dunno. I'm at the point where I'm just like 'can someone please just get rid of BK'. I don't even want someone to work with BK to fix things, I just want him gone. The ratings situation confuses me. And bums me out.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said as much a few pages back. Tony Wood was exec of Corrie from 2003 to 2005. This was one of the most successful eras in the shows history. I think we have to assume a lot of Hollyoaks success during BKs first stint was with the help of Tony.

Tony Wood was also there during the Lucy Allan, Paul Marquess and Emma Smithwick eras. He had lots of other responsibility at Lime, including Grange Hill, TOWIE and Geordie Shore, and tended to take a back seat roll on Hollyoaks letting the producers get on with things. Although I believe he did have quite a lot of input during the Gareth Philips era as the show had no real producer at that point.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange how his first stint was brilliant and how bad he is now

From what I heard, the real Kirkwood's been kidnapped and replaced by an alien impostor :o. Bit like the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers :D.
    That could explain the quality difference in his two stints :p.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    I did like the fact PM realised when he got in wrong, i.e. axing the Sharpes and Rob O'Connor.

You can't really credit PM for sorting all that out, Channel 4 were heavily involved and I believe Tony Woods became very hands on.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    From what I heard, the real Kirkwood's been kidnapped and replaced by an alien impostor :o. Bit like the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers :D.
    That could explain the quality difference in his two stints :p.

Looool! It would explain alot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he's awful, but I'm fearful about getting rid of him because if a new producer comes in to meet this giant mess, it could result in an even bigger mess. I feel sorry for the next producer, because they will no doubt be attacked for being rubbish while left with Kirkwood's mess. It's what he did last time too.

I hate to say it, but even Emma Smithwick was better. There was a golden period after Smithwick left, and before Kirkwood joined, I'm not sure who was in charge then but they were great.

I also thought Gareth Phillips, who subbed in for Marquess at the start of 2011, was very good, even if he did have a lot of filler storylines.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Berkwood isn't the only person who needs going. Channel4 need to sack Jay Hunt who has control over Channel4 programmes. That woman is a nightmare, and anyone half decent in charge would have given Lime Pictures a big kick up the backside to get things sorted by now.

A revolving door of people in charge isn't helping but they need someone who will take Hollyoaks back to it's core values and understand what did make it popular.

If it annoys some viewers by taking Hollyoaks back to focusing on good, strong younger characters, then so be it if it wins back Hollyoaks intended audience, if it sends Hollyoaks back up the ratings.

As it is now I suspect it's only e4'S ratings that is saving Hollyoaks from the axe, given how abysmal the ratings are on Channel4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he's awful, but I'm fearful about getting rid of him because if a new producer comes in to meet this giant mess, it could result in an even bigger mess. I feel sorry for the next producer, because they will no doubt be attacked for being rubbish while left with Kirkwood's mess. It's what he did last time too.

I hate to say it, but even Emma Smithwick was better. There was a golden period after Smithwick left, and before Kirkwood joined, I'm not sure who was in charge then but they were great.

I also thought Gareth Phillips, who subbed in for Marquess at the start of 2011, was very good, even if he did have a lot of filler storylines.

BIB: There wasn't anyone else - did kinda feel like it though, huh? It was ES, then BK came back and worked with her as she remained officially in charge, and then ES left early October and BK fully took over.
    Though, I'm not sure when BK officially got the top spot cuz he was credited with Tony Wood equally for a little while.

In terms of producer/creative it's an interesting period because as far as I'm aware (and anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but it's usually one producer out, one producer in; there's no real crossover, right? But ES and BK worked together for months. So you can't really tell who to blame for the bad and who to credit for the good.
    For example, a lot of people at the time blamed ES for the Brendan/Ste punch right before Dublin, I personally blamed BK. Actually, given now, I'm even more inclined to blame BK for that. The punch AND Leah's biological dad AND Stug potentially leaving; overkill on drama, a couple of unnecessary OMG's that had no real build up or aftermath, and two characters randomly but predictably sleeping together... sounds familiar somehow! The only thing missing from being a full BK box of tricks is a stupid stunt.

Were Tony Wood and Kathleen Beedles around for the good stuff? Did they work together? Maybe they're the dream team.

surfie wrote: »
    Berkwood isn't the only person who needs going. Channel4 need to sack Jay Hunt who has control over Channel4 programmes. That woman is a nightmare, and anyone half decent in charge would have given Lime Pictures a big kick up the backside to get things sorted by now.

A revolving door of people in charge isn't helping but they need someone who will take Hollyoaks back to it's core values and understand what did make it popular.

If it annoys some viewers by taking Hollyoaks back to focusing on good, strong younger characters, then so be it if it wins back Hollyoaks intended audience, if it sends Hollyoaks back up the ratings.

As it is now I suspect it's only e4'S ratings that is saving Hollyoaks from the axe, given how abysmal the ratings are on Channel4

BIB: I thought the C4 ratings for Hollyoaks were good? I was sure I read that?
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Were Tony Wood and Kathleen Beedles around for the good stuff? Did they work together? Maybe they're the dream team.

Think you might be right. Not sure about Tony Wood, but Kathleen Beedles was definitely around for all of the good stuff: Carmel's disfigurement, the Mitzeee/Mercy stabbing, Mitzeee/Myra in jail, Lynsey's murder, the Silas escape, Doc Browning's obsession with Mercy, Walker's revenge on Brendan and The Heist, the Brady HO Later, and Brendan and Ste starting to get closer again.

She was always really modest and said she was just part of a team, but that was a fantastic time and I've always given her credit for it. For me, the best time on the show climaxed with Walker's first exit, Riley's shooting, and Mercy nearly throwing herself and Bobby off the roof. After that, it started to go downhill, so even the good stuff was marred by stupid shocks - which was basically when KB left. She had an amazing effect when she was there though.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is with hollyoaks most storylines going are really enjoyable at the moment like the DV storyline the male rape Brownings murder and possible Jason storyline it is just infuriating that these storylines all get sidelined for the horrible gangster storyline and when people call hollyoaks ott it is only the gangster storyline and frindsey a bit that all the stunts murders and unrealistic things happens. Also Vincent is so dull but everything else is really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think you might be right. Not sure about Tony Wood, but Kathleen Beedles was definitely around for all of the good stuff: Carmel's disfigurement, the Mitzeee/Mercy stabbing, Mitzeee/Myra in jail, Lynsey's murder, the Silas escape, Doc Browning's obsession with Mercy, Walker's revenge on Brendan and The Heist, the Brady HO Later, and Brendan and Ste starting to get closer again.

She was always really modest and said she was just part of a team, but that was a fantastic time and I've always given her credit for it. For me, the best time on the show climaxed with Walker's first exit, Riley's shooting, and Mercy nearly throwing herself and Bobby off the roof. After that, it started to go downhill, so even the good stuff was marred by stupid shocks - which was basically when KB left. She had an amazing effect when she was there though.

I actually really don't know anything about her, but Mojo did say she was good - and nice. Why did she leave?

I actually don't really know anything about Tony Wood either. Just that others have said he was liked for what he did in other shows and I know he was physically around during the good stuff in late 2012/early 2013 and BK's first era.

I wonder... So, the change of direction in Hollyoaks (shift in Walker storyline, Lynsey's death, Browning etc etc) which was presumably in responsible to everybody disliking when the teens were ruling, they obviously brought in KB for then? BK was back at Lime Studios (not Hollyoaks, other shows) in April 2012... I'd find it interesting to know how coincidental that was or if was all connected. Doesn't matter really, I'd just find it interesting.

The thing is with hollyoaks most storylines going are really enjoyable at the moment like the DV storyline the male rape Brownings murder and possible Jason storyline it is just infuriating that these storylines all get sidelined for the horrible gangster storyline and when people call hollyoaks ott it is only the gangster storyline and frindsey a bit that all the stunts murders and unrealistic things happens. Also Vincent is so dull but everything else is really good.

While I think there's potentially good ideas in there, I can't really fully yay any storyline. I think some have had some brilliant moments, but surrounded by very poor handling... But it's entirely possibly I'm bitter and biased lol.
    But definitely with you on the stupid stunts and ridiculously unrealistic plot developments. And the overkill of shit gangsters.

EDIT: I feel a bit weird saying it cuz I don't really feel I post enough to have a right to say it, but noticed you're obviously new to DS, so hiya and welcome! :)
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    BIB: There wasn't anyone else - did kinda feel like it though, huh? It was ES, then BK came back and worked with her as she remained officially in charge, and then ES left early October and BK fully took over.
    Though, I'm not sure when BK officially got the top spot cuz he was credited with Tony Wood equally for a little while.

In terms of producer/creative it's an interesting period because as far as I'm aware (and anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but it's usually one producer out, one producer in; there's no real crossover, right? But ES and BK worked together for months. So you can't really tell who to blame for the bad and who to credit for the good.
    For example, a lot of people at the time blamed ES for the Brendan/Ste punch right before Dublin, I personally blamed BK. Actually, given now, I'm even more inclined to blame BK for that. The punch AND Leah's biological dad AND Stug potentially leaving; overkill on drama, a couple of unnecessary OMG's that had no real build up or aftermath, and two characters randomly but predictably sleeping together... sounds familiar somehow! The only thing missing from being a full BK box of tricks is a stupid stunt.

BIB: I thought the C4 ratings for Hollyoaks were good? I was sure I read that?

Channel4S ratings are appalling for Hollyoaks. It use to be around 2 million veiewers an episode just on Channel 4 alone. When e4s ratings and the omnibus repeats were added then an episode would easily get 4 million viewers.
    Forum Member

BIB was an amazing time. I've just checked some of my old episodes and she was credited as story consultant until February 2013 - so she also was there for Esther's suicide attempt and so on.

I have no clue about Tony Wood, I've only seen quotes from him about gimmicks like including the band Daytona Lights in the show so I don't exactly trust him :p ("One creative director in the market for such an act was Tony Wood, who wanted to make Hollyoaks more "cool and indie".")
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel4S ratings are appalling for Hollyoaks. It use to be around 2 million veiewers an episode just on Channel 4 alone. When e4s ratings and the omnibus repeats were added then an episode would easily get 4 million viewers.

Wasn't that years ago though? Like, 06/07? And unfortunately (and insanely, to me) the show as it is now, has had an increase in ratings on C4 from immediately before. I think, anyway.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

.. and Corrie and Eastenders used to get 20m+ per episode, now they get 7 or 8m.

The ratings for Hollyoaks are fine, and are the highest since 2010. It's also the only soap which is up year on year.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EDIT: I feel a bit weird saying it cuz I don't really feel I post enough to have a right to say it, but noticed you're obviously new to DS, so hiya and welcome! :)

Thank you you're right I'm kinda new ive been on here for a while but I haven't been able to post anyway I've only watched hollyoaks since 2009 so I've heard I've missed all the good stuff so IMO 2013 - 2014 has been favourite i enjoyed 2012 as well but this has been the best year with the best storylines apart from gangster and Vincent which is whats ruining hollyoaks ps sorry if this sounds repetitive but I just wanted to say this.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I actually really don't know anything about her, but Mojo did say she was good - and nice. Why did she leave?

I wonder... So, the change of direction in Hollyoaks (shift in Walker storyline, Lynsey's death, Browning etc etc) which was presumably in responsible to everybody disliking when the teens were ruling, they obviously brought in KB for then? BK was back at Lime Studios (not Hollyoaks, other shows) in April 2012... I'd find it interesting to know how coincidental that was or if was all connected. Doesn't matter really, I'd just find it interesting.

I'm not sure, but I think KB was only ever temporary? She was definitely brought in to turn the show around because it was really in the dumps in early 2012, but not sure who brought her in - Tony Wood I guess? It's no coincidence that about 2-3 months after she joined the show, it suddenly felt like it had had a rocket put up its backside :D, characters all made sense, storylines were fizzing all over the place, and the older characters were right back at the centre of the show - Walker, Brendan, Cheryl, Silas, Mitzeee, Mercy :p etc etc. I was so gutted when she left, but from what she said on twitter I think she felt she had done everything she wanted to on soap and was just itching to do something new. Honestly, the best EP Hollyoaks never had.

BIB was an amazing time. I've just checked some of my old episodes and she was credited as story consultant until February 2013 - so she also was there for Esther's suicide attempt and so on.

Oh I LOVED that time, you know it. With Esther's storyline I'm not so sure, but I've always felt that had BK's mark on it. In the sense that it was basically one really amazing episode (and it was amazing, credit where due), and then ... almost nothing. Very like Billie's death on EE actually - brilliant episode, but no aftermath. It was like the show totally lost interest in Esther, and then wished it had never happened. Such a shame. They should have had the guts to write out Ruby there and then, it would have been an amazing exit, with some retribution for Esther. I'd love to know how it would've gone if KB had stayed actually.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am undecided, I disliked his work on Eastender but he had made Hollyoaks watchable again for many people. The only problem is is that he has turned it into a Sunset Beach type soap!! It's totally unbelievable and far fetched but it makes good tv.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. and Corrie and Eastenders used to get 20m+ per episode, now they get 7 or 8m.

The ratings for Hollyoaks are fine, and are the highest since 2010. It's also the only soap which is up year on year.

They might be down from 20m but 7/8 million is still very respective in this day and age with all the catch ups/Iplayer etc

Hollyoaks only has ratings like i.e 657k (example) when i always look.... if its up every year then it must have been really really low to begin with? I'd be expecting it to be in millions if its going up year on year? ..:confused: