Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the South African Human Rights Commission has chosen not to pursue claims that Nel is violating Oscar's human rights. Good.

Who raised the action?
    It was ridiculous. The judge has been meticulous in her overseeing fair play.
  • GaaronGaaron Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    GinaH wrote: »
    Ah yes! But somehow I cannot imagine the learned QC, peering over his half-moon specs at the Judge saying, "I think it's nearly tea-time M'Lud!"

I did gasp when I heard Nell say that!
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is how the trial is panning out at the moment:

http://s17.postimg.org/avt6ve9ov/nel_and_dog.jpg

:kitty:

:D:D:D:D

Savage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    His team can negotiate over prison time for example. It's to do with showing remorse and accepting a level of culpability. That is looked on favourably by the court and is a good place for his team to then introduce mitigating factors. Had he pleaded guilty at the outset. I doubt he would have served much prison time. As it is he has now squandered that chance. This is just my opinion and perspective.

I have a feeling that in Oscar's mind it's all or nothing. If he pleads guilty to anything his former sponsors will not come near him and it is unlikely that new ones would either. So even if he got a series of suspended sentences through plea bargaining his former life would be down the toilet. And that's all he knows. He's been a "hero" since he was 17 and that's probably a pretty tough job to give up. So he goes for broke.

On the flip side the Pistorians are a pretty wealthy and influential lot. There's been a bit of chatter in the SA media about sentencing and seems there MAY be a chance he could do any jail time under "house arrest" given his disability, the state of SA prisons, his former status and the clout his extended family may bring to it. Length of sentence however may be a factor in this. How much credibility you can give to this I have no idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaaron wrote: »
    I did gasp when I heard Nell say that!

It's difficult to cross examine a witness who has left his evidence at home:o
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Since he is not denying murder the integrity of the scene is not as vital. Also the allegations , mainly by Op that the scene was tampered with makes little sense. When the Plods were all over the scene they had no idea what OPs evidence was. Remember he refused to talk to the police when they arrived. So it's not credible that they in some way implicated him in a scenario , much of which is in fact still evolving this week.
    I cannot see Roux making that much of it. What does it change?

Doesn't change anything but create doubts on the integrity of the police? :confused:

OP made so much of his "experts" coming to testify about tampering, the defence must think they have something. Mind you, we've seen their expert witnesses so far!

You think OP finally realises his experts aren't going to save him?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col281 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that in Oscar's mind it's all or nothing. If he pleads guilty to anything his former sponsors will not come near him and it is unlikely that new ones would either. So even if he got a series of suspended sentences through plea bargaining his former life would be down the toilet. And that's all he knows. He's been a "hero" since he was 17 and that's probably a pretty tough job to give up. So he goes for broke.

On the flip side the Pistorians are a pretty wealthy and influential lot. There's been a bit of chatter in the SA media about sentencing and seems there MAY be a chance he could do any jail time under "house arrest" given his disability, the state of SA prisons, his former status and the clout his extended family may bring to it. Length of sentence however may be a factor in this. How much credibility you can give to this I have no idea.

I'm not saying there is but surely there must be other disabled prisoners who are having to serve time for their crimes? Jeez, his former status and his extended family shouldn't come into anything, imho.

If he's put under house arrest for the above reasons then what kind of sodding message is that sending out? :confused:
  • sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Roux's cat is furious, he must have know that guy was a poor choice....

must say, I do feel sorry for Roux, he does look deflated, Aldwage is still pulling faces behind NEL's back (saw that today) esp when Nel said "I want "what?" put on the records.. watch oldwage in that bit!!
    (sorry have changed, I meant behind NEL's back of course)
    (I will watch it back for the usual Oldiewage face pulling !!)

But Roux's peers will know that he was working with a Statement by Oscar - and that Statement was a pack of lies - but Roux's cross-exam of the Prosecution witnesses was very very thorough , he's done his best with what - Let's see what the screaming like a woman reveals to counteract the witnesses , will be interesting.

- but Roux must have lose faith in Oscar, he blew it for the Defence on the Stand - and Roux will have told Oscar of the consequences of his contradictions - and judging by Oscar's face today, Roux has had a long hard talk to Oscar of the reality of what he did on that Stand, and advised him appropriately - but if he seriously didn't even understand his own Defence case, then he's in serious trouble now.

Why oh why he didn't plead Guilty to the lessor charges, i've no idea, hope we one day find out - Perhaps Roux or Oldwage will give an interview , because if Oscar appeals any sentencing, I bet you now - Roux & Co won't take it on,.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Interesting that when OP had the washing machine incident in 2012 and went into 'combat mode' he didn't just fire 4 shots through the utility room door fearing for his life. No in that instance he established whether there was a real danger first. Funny that.

Very good point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's a tough one for the judge. Can she be seen to favour OP ? I cannot think she can or will. Her credibility and indeed the S African judiciary are at stake here. It's either justice being seen to be done, or quite the opposite.
    I think M'Lady will go for justice. ;-)
  • barrbarrellabarrbarrella Posts: 3,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

reading between the lines... is it likely that he would not basically serve any prison time... for murder,, that seems amazing...
  • porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Just curious but why under cross examination, if OP was making his version fit the evidence, didn't he suggest that Reeva could've got herself something to eat while he was sleeping?

It is actually to his advantage to say he didn't think she could have (and he would have been better off had he taken a similar approach to other troublesome evidence rather than provide a possible scenario to fit the evidence) The science says she ate. He says she couldn't have, from which the clear inference is that he had no idea that she ate and that he didn't think she could have done so without disturbing him.

But if he is right, she did eat without disturbing him. She must be very ninja like. It emphasises her silent movement. capabilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    Doesn't change anything but create doubts on the integrity of the police? :confused:

OP made so much of his "experts" coming to testify about tampering, the defence must think they have something. Mind you, we've seen their expert witnesses so far!

You think OP finally realises his experts aren't going to save him?

His body language today was indicative of an element of despair. Maybe just tired after his days in the witness box. Who knows.
  • barrbarrellabarrbarrella Posts: 3,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandy50 wrote: »
    but Roux's peers will know by now that he was working with a Statement by Oscar - and that Statement was a pack of lies,

- who knows if Roux seriously believed he'd be able to lesson his sentence ? he may still be able to - Roux's cross of the Prosecution witnesses was very very thorough , he's done his best with what he had from Oscar

- but Roux must have lose faith in Oscar, he blew it for the Defence on the Stand - and Roux will have told Oscar of the consequences and advised him appropriately - but it's up to Oscar, but if he seriously didn't even understand his own Defence case, then he's in serious trouble now. Oscar may have just read the Statement thinking, that covers everything, no problem.

Why oh why he didn't plead Guilty to the lessor charges, i've no idea, hope we one day find out - Perhaps Roux or Oldwage will give an interview , because if Oscar appeals any sentencing, I bet you now - Roux & Co won't take it on,.

OP must have disregarded most of the advicece whe he took the stand... It is absolutely obvious that Roux woul dhave primed him on how to act , his demeanour and of course what basically to admit to .... Roux is a top notch lawyer, do we assume OP ignored all the advice??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »

:D Dear me, Laugh of the Day
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does house arrest mean?

Will he be able to spend his sentence at his auntie's house being served lemonade while sunbathing by the pool?
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    You got it.

Thanks.

I'm watching today's first session. Oh dear!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »

that's sooooo good :D:D:D
    belated Happy Birthday btw !
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    I'm not saying there is but surely there must be other disabled prisoners who are having to serve time for their crimes? Jeez, his former status and his extended family shouldn't come into anything, imho.

If he's put under house arrest for the above reasons then what kind of sodding message is that sending out? :confused:

Yes, I saw a programme about disabled prisoners in SA. It's not uncommon. The conditions really are appalling...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Will he be able to spend his sentence at his auntie's house being served lemonade while sunbathing by the pool?

Yes, perhaps a curfew also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is actually to his advantage to say he didn't think she could have (and he would have been better off had he taken a similar approach to other troublesome evidence rather than provide a possible scenario to fit the evidence) The science says she ate. He says she couldn't have, from which the clear inference is that he had no idea that she ate and that he didn't think she could have done so without disturbing him.

But if he is right, she did eat without disturbing him. She must be very ninja like. It emphasises her silent movement. capabilities.

This is a guy who goes into combat mode when a sparrow farts. There is no way Reeva snuck out of bed, switched of alarms opened doors then later reversed it and got back into bed and OP slept through it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

signing in every day to Police Station no doubt
    tagged, time curfew to be back at residence
    regular visits with psychologists
    can't leave Country
    submission of passport
    wouldn't be surprised if he was under house arrest and tagged >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    Yes, I saw a programme about disabled prisoners in SA. It's not uncommon. The conditions really are appalling...

Thanks for that. so they really, really can't use that as an excuse unless they go on the severity of his disability?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest.. just looking at what we know for certain from this case... he IS a great danger to society... anyone who can fire off four bullets in that situation really is a danger...

regardless of the outcome he will surely lose the right to own firearms
This discussion has been closed.