Real Radio's transition to Heart

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVCymru wrote: »
    The old Heart (Marcher Stations) is owned by Global. Real North Wales is owned by Communicorp

Communicorp own Smooth North West, Real/Heart is Global.

http://www.communicorp.ie/communicorp-acquires-uk-radio-stations/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    From what Jason King as posted on his FB profile he will be the last presenter heard on RR Monday 1-6am,then it 6am monday morning it goes to automation ,being a bank holiday that will tie in about right they will have a full 24 hours to countdown the arrival of the new station plus send Heart angles out to promote the new station arriving Tues.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plus send Heart angles out to promote the new station arriving Tues.

I will look forward to this......acute and obtuse are my favourites, will they be promoting the launch?:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plus send Heart angles out to promote the new station arriving Tues.

They better not send any Angles to Scotland.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    Communicorp own Smooth North West, Real/Heart is Global.

http://www.communicorp.ie/communicorp-acquires-uk-radio-stations/

Aren't Communicorp licensing the Capital brand for some areas though?

I don't understand how Global are allowed both Heart and Capital in the 97.1 FM area. I thought the idea of making them sell some stations was so that they didn't have too many stations in certain areas?

Or were the competition concerns more to do with there being too many Heart frequencies?
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Aren't Communicorp licensing the Capital brand for some areas though?

I don't understand how Global are allowed both Heart and Capital in the 97.1 FM area. I thought the idea of making them sell some stations was so that they didn't have too many stations in certain areas?

Or were the competition concerns more to do with there being too many Heart frequencies?

CC didn't have any concerns with the overlap of the Wirral.

Plus, you still have Communicorp (Smooth) Bauer (Radio City/City Talk/Magic) and UTV (Juice) still operating in the area providing commercial competition.
    Forum Member
    Understood. So these franchised stations (such as Smooth on 100.4 FM), are they taking the network feed from Global in the daytime? Or are they literally just licensing the name and providing all of their own content?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They carry the same networking as the Global owned stations, and the same playlist in local hours. To the average listener, there is no difference between a station owned by Global in one area and Communicorp in another.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of com

At first I thought it was a typo, but you keep saying it so I'll correct you. It's not "of com" it's all one word, "Ofcom".
    Forum Member
    wonder if global and communicorp will eventually merge in same way that GWR and capital merged and created Gcap ? but then again would CC over rule it?
    Forum Member
    So I imagine Global will have to be very careful with competitions and that type of thing with the networked programming that will go out on the Communicorp stations. They can't be seen to be making money off listeners of Communicorp stations when they are being paid a fee by Communicorp already.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    So I imagine Global will have to be very careful with competitions and that type of thing with the networked programming that will go out on the Communicorp stations. They can't be seen to be making money off listeners of Communicorp stations when they are being paid a fee by Communicorp already.

it would be an interesting one though after all who saw Global buying Gcap coming? I know I didn't, if??? they was to merge I'm sure they may just find ways round certain issues that would accrue,but it wouldn't be a straight foreword thing ofcom or CC may not approve or if they did certain things maybe asked for them to abide by before any merge could go through,But it's just as IF!!!
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    it would be an interesting one though after all who saw Global buying Gcap coming? I know I didn't, if??? they was to merge I'm sure they may just find ways round certain issues that would accrue,but it wouldn't be a straight foreword thing ofcom or CC may not approve or if they did certain things maybe asked for them to abide by before any merge could go through,But it's just as IF!!!

Considering the work gone in by the CC then I very much doubt this will happen. What would be interesting is if Communicorp was ever sold and the new owners pulled the franchise deal after initial terms. That of course will probably never happen but would wipe the smile clean off Tabor and Park's faces, just like Orion did with Gem!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wonder if global and communicorp will eventually merge in same way that GWR and capital merged and created Gcap ? but then again would CC over rule it?

Today the new CMA would overrule it - another five years down the line things might change.

My prediction is that Global's exit will be a sale or part sale to Communicorp although that won't be happening in the short to medium term.
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    From what Jason King as posted on his FB profile he will be the last presenter heard on RR Monday 1-6am,then it 6am monday morning it goes to automation ,being a bank holiday that will tie in about right they will have a full 24 hours to countdown the arrival of the new station plus send Heart angles out to promote the new station arriving Tues.

Local breakfast still airs on Monday.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    Today the new CMA would overrule it - another five years down the line things might change.

My prediction is that Global's exit will be a sale or part sale to Communicorp although that won't be happening in the short to medium term.

I wonder how long Richard Park will carry on for as he's getting on a bit now. He'll be the Rupert Murdoch of radio and go on and on!
  • CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    The Twitter names for the stations have changed to Heart now
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link to all the new heart twitter pages https://twitter.com/realnortheast/following
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Local Breakfasts will deffo be on Monday morning Garry and Lisa posted this on the Real radio / heart NE FB page

Have a fantastic bank holiday weekend, We'll be back on Monday morning at 6am!
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Local breakfast still airs on Monday.
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    Local Breakfasts will deffo be on Monday morning Garry and Lisa posted this on the Real radio / heart NE FB page

Have a fantastic bank holiday weekend, We'll be back on Monday morning at 6am!

Yeah they will by looks of it. Gareth is posting rubbish. Jason posted about being on 1-6am earlier in the week, all his recent radio related stuff, so Gareth just making crap up from there. :confused:>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Any possiblity of Real going into automation at 10am on Monday?
    Forum Member
    Any possiblity of Real going into automation at 10am on Monday?

Possibly but won't they also have local drive shows too for one last time?
    Forum Member
    Yeah they will by looks of it. Gareth is posting rubbish. Jason posted about being on 1-6am earlier in the week, all his recent radio related stuff, so Gareth just making crap up from there. :confused:>:(

not at all he's on my fb and he posted yesterday that it's his last show on RR monday 1-6am and was asked by someone else if he was last to be heard on real and replied yes!!!
    I'm only telling you what was posted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    Possibly but won't they also have local drive shows too for one last time?

They could but when Atlantic went they just went into automation during the afternoon, so no drivetime.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heart local websites aren't up yet. Doesn't matter as they just get people clicking on London one.