Which Supermarket do you use?

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons
    Mainly Morrisons if I go shopping on my own. If I take my sister we go to Tesco as it's closest to her
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda
    Mainly Asda, it's not the closest, but it's consistently the cheapest for the stuff I buy.

Sometimes Tesco and occasionally Sainsbury's.

Also, Heron Foods has just opened nearby, which has many items cheaper than most big supermarkets.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons
    Interesting to see how low Lidl comes in at just under 3% though must admit i'm not surprised really. It's a strange Supermarket. I've been in a few in the UK and they always seem very poorly stocked, yet go to any Lidl in Germany and it's entirely different. Well stocked with plenty of choices even in the smaller Supermarkets.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    Asda
    Asda.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Lidl
    I go to Lidl once a month for a big shop (tinned stuff, bottles, tea, biscuits, sauces, pasta, squash, fruit juice, detergents, toiletries)

Go to M&S every week for about £15 worth of treats.

I weekly buy bread / milk / butter / cheese / veg / fruit / meat / fish / eggs in small independent shops
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrisons, it is the closest Supermarket to us. We also have a Lidl and Sainsburys.
    Haven't been in Lidl for ages, but was in Sainsburys at the weekend getting some charcoal and it reminded me just how (wannabe) snobs a lot of their customers are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I go to Lidl once a month for a big shop (tinned stuff, bottles, tea, biscuits, sauces, pasta, squash, fruit juice, detergents, toiletries)

I weekly buy bread / milk / butter / cheese / veg / fruit / meat / fish / eggs in small independent shops
    Do you have CK's and Filco? I'd never even heard of them until i did this poll but noticed they are both Welsh companies.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other
    Harrods.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Lidl
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Do you have CK's and Filco? I'd never even heard of them until i did this poll but noticed they are both Welsh companies.

Yeah there are three CKs in the area here.

I use them more as convenience stores as they are quite expensive.
    Nice range of locally sourced meats though; I sometimes get meat there if I haven't been to the butchers.

The biggest CKs I've been in is Penclawdd on the Gower:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1676876251/CKS-food-store-penclawdd-1024x768.jpg

Filcos are more south and eastward towards the valleys; I've never been in one of their shops.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda
    I wasn't looking for reasons or preference as to why any person uses a particular Supermarket......just which they use....and if using more than one, the most used.

It really isn't difficult!

You use Sainsbury's the most.

What's with the arsey attitude? If people wish to discuss their reasons for voting then that's up to them. When you create a thread it doesn't give you the right to dictate what others talk about.

If you were conducting a serious survey perhaps you should have made that point at the beginning.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

I don't know how anyone can do a main shop in Lidl. They just don't carry enough range to get everything under one roof. I guess it ok if you're happy to live on basic rations.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aldi, Waitrose and Ocado in pretty equal measure. Ocado brings the heavy stuff. Sainsbury's and M&S if the queue in Aldi is way too big, as they're both nearby, and I got a couple of things in One Stop yesterday as they carry some Irish brands.

Can't pick between Aldi and Waitrose I'm afraid. Use them both, love them both.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco
    Ocado prices are going up in leaps and bounds - I re-ordered a list of items i received from just three weeks ago from Ocado and it had risen from £95 to £105 :o ~ I cancelled that order and took a delivery from Tesco of very similar items for £91 !

So Tesco's number one for me.. :)
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Aldi
    Aldi's

Purely because we are on a budget, its cheap, £40 feeds 3 of us and you get some really nice stuff in there.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose
    9/10 times Waitrose
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Slightly away from your area, but I use a supermarket here is España called Día, here is our local small town it is brilliant, excellent value and very very clean. we use to travel some distance for a supermarket so it has cut a lot of mileage and also hence fuel:D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco
    The best supermarket around here is Tesco. I have 2 about 5 miles away in different directions and they are both excellent. Clean, have everything I need, good parking and very helpful and polite staff. That's all I ask of a shopping trip.

I also use Lidl quite often and like many of their products which I can only buy there.

Our local Sainsbury is horrible, Asda is depressing and Morrisons is grubby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you get a Job? and do something useful for a change
    You could start in a `Supermarket`.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    The best supermarket around here is Tesco. I have 2 about 5 miles away in different directions and they are both excellent. Clean, have everything I need, good parking and very helpful and polite staff. That's all I ask of a shopping trip.

I also use Lidl quite often and like many of their products which I can only buy there.

Our local Sainsbury is horrible, Asda is depressing and Morrisons is grubby.
    It's quite apparent the interior state of Supermarkets seems to be dependent on two factors, management and age of building.

Where i live there is a recently built Sainsbury's (open about 3 years), but i haven't been in as it's too close to the town for my liking. As it's a new building i'd expect it to be decent inside.

The nearest Asda to me is more like a Hypermarket, same as the furthest Morrison store. I only go to either occasionally as they are just far too big. Both are now a good few years old but very clean inside.

The Morrison Supermarket i use is modern, kept scrupulously clean and simple to get to.

By far the best Supermarket i've ever been in though was in Romania of all places. Absolutely immaculate inside and out. Huge choice of goods all within easy reach for everyone (no stupidly high shelves), well spaced aisles, plus a brilliant Air-Con system which i was really grateful for as the outdoor temp was in the high 30's.

I discovered later it was German owned which figured as there is quite a large German community in Romania.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will go to any supermarket that has what I need, when I need it, wherever I am at the time.....and am not into any if this loyalty crap...give us your loyalty, spend a thousand quid and you get a tenner back...hahaha, so generous

tescos are greedy bastards though Ive come to realise...not a very nice supermarket, unimaginative as well and whoever does their interior design for their stores needs sacking

I would though love to find one that spares me the torture of not being able to read though there is nothing wrong with my eyesight as such, just a bit short sighted, but I just took out a pack of frozen garlic baguettes.....I could not find GB on the long list of instructions in many languages, if it was there the ant writing was too small for me to see though I strained and strained.....so Ive stuck it in in gas mark 6 until its done!

i need to seriously rethink making the effort to going to local butchers grocers and bakeries instead
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is Asda. They capitalise the font on their logo, just like Tesco and Morrisons, but it is Asda when written ;)

Taking pedantry even further, it should be AsDa due to the company originally being called Associated Dairies ;)

Anyway having worked for them for 2 years and enjoying a colleague discount I use Asda, plus I know exactly where to find about 99% things in the store. If I'm in a different area but can't find one I'll probably look for a Tesco instead then in joint third place it would be Morissons or Sainsbury's.

I tend to avoid Lidl or Aldi now as it often seems certain brands aren't there regularly and most of the time you can taste the difference between the brands. If I know the groceries I want are likely to be available then I don't mind paying a little extra and go to Asda or Tesco.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's
    It's impossible to shop equally at 2 each week. There has to be one where more is spent at.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Lidl
    Which Supermarket do you use? If you use more than one, state the one you use most.

The Poll isn't about what you like or dislike about any particular store, just which Supermarket is the most popular with DS posters.

I've 'lumped' the various Poundshops, One Stop and 99p stores under 'other' as despite carrying a fair range of stock, don't really fall into the bracket of Supermarket.

Most food I buy locally from independent shops, but if it's a supermarket usually Lidl, and sometimes Aldi.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsbury's
    Sainsbury's for me.

M&S I also like. I cannot stand Tesco, Asda & Morrisons but like a look in Lidl & Aldi every now and then :-)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi
    Aldis for the big shop, Morrisons for the decent bread and some of the fresh stuff. As Aldis improves their fresh stuff all the time, am using Morrisons for less and less.