France v Germany - 04/07 BBC One 5pm

nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A clash between former World Cup winners.
This will lead to a former World Cup winner going home.

Relish the jamboree!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    England v Uruguay led to a former world cup winner going home :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was a betting person...
    I'd put a fiver on Hollande and Merkel both attending.
    A tenner on the French being extremely relieved they won't be playing Algeria.
    And twenty on the British media making puns about a French surrender, should France lose.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France are one of those teams that get the upset. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat Germany
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    England v Uruguay led to a former world cup winner going home :(
    So did Italy v Uruguay and Colombia v Uruguay and Spain v Chile.

I'd make France favourites for this one, they and Colombia have been the best two sides in this World Cup.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm certain Germany could do Brazil in the semi's in their backyard. Their ego's are big enough to take on such a challenge and an occasion but I'm not sure they'll get past France here. I think this is a tougher game than their potential semi final opponent in truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I really hope we see a great game between 2 of the footballing heavyweights. Very difficult to call.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth noting that this game may well be on BBC 2 rather than BBC 1. It seems if Murray is playing in a SF at Wimbledon at that time then it will be on 1 with the football on 2.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,273
    Forum Member
    1982 will be talked about a lot!

Lets hope its not remember as that is for a nasty incident.

Not sure the Germans will get away with relying on Neuer to clear up any mess caused at the back so much.

This could go all the way too...
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling this could go all the way to penalties, just like 1982 only with a less dramatic extra tine period.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Neuer rushing out as a sweeper freaked the Algerians out. He's a big unit. No evidence that he's a sociopath like Schumacher but can see the French being a bit nervous if they get behind the defence and see him rushing at them!
    France never beat Germany in world cups and can't see that changing. But I hope I'm wrong. Playing well, they're a great team to watch.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Worth noting that this game may well be on BBC 2 rather than BBC 1. It seems if Murray is playing in a SF at Wimbledon at that time then it will be on 1 with the football on 2.

Won't happen now :D:D:D
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why that's something to be so happy about, but yes you'd expect the World Cup to be on 1 now.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,273
    Forum Member
    Shame for Murray as now he'll get the "he's crap/loser" stuff now but some at the BBC will be relived - mind you would there be very different types of people in terms of audience for both?
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,595
    Forum Member
    Germany's defence has been weak so far & France with better quality strikers than the teams who have played Germany so far can exploit that, wouldn't be surprised if it went to penalties though.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I can see France winning this. Germany's defence is weak and will continue to be weak if Loew (the so-called tactical genius) insists on playing four centre-backs. France have the firepower to exploit the chances that Algeria wasted.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany's defence has been weak so far & France with better quality strikers than the teams who have played Germany so far can exploit that, wouldn't be surprised if it went to penalties though.

They would do they are all air traffic controllers some of the best strikers in the world especially when everyone wants to go on holiday:D
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=french+air+traffic+controllers+strike+dates&tbm=nws
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this game could go either way. Neither have really been fantastic, but if I were to choose a winner I would go with France.

As they always say though, Never write off the Germans.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see France winning this. Germany's defence is weak and will continue to be weak if Loew (the so-called tactical genius) insists on playing four centre-backs. France have the firepower to exploit the chances that Algeria wasted.

Fire power yes, pace no...don't see Germany been troubled at all by France.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Algeria showed teams how Germany can be beaten. They need to be attacked in midfield to force their defenders to come forward because the defenece is slow, but Loew must realise this too, so it will be very much a battle of the managers.

I can't see Germany losing this one though. They are extremly fired up now and hungry to win. France were unimpressive against Nigeria.

I predict Germany will get to the final.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If the French play well they will win. Too many difficiencies in the German side.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany always seem to find a way to the semis of the final itself. They're always there or roundabouts.
    Whether they are perceived to have a good team or a poor team pre-tournament, they always seem to find a way to force their way through.

I always expect Germany to get to at least the semi-finals and the word I always associate with them in every world cup is 'strong'.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Germany are a very well experienced when it comes to tournaments, they don't set the world on fire, but they just know what to do and when to do it.

Germany 3 France 1
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany always seem to find a way to the semis of the final itself. They're always there or roundabouts.
    Whether they are perceived to have a good team or a poor team pre-tournament, they always seem to find a way to force their way through.

I always expect Germany to get to at least the semi-finals and the word I always associate with them in every world cup is 'strong'.

Yep, and as a general rule, the worse they play the further they get. They were absolutely awful in 2002 when they somehow managed to crawl to the final. In 1990 they weren't exactly playing like world beaters either.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I think the French will win this match. I think they have been one of the best teams of the tournament so far. Then the German always know how to progress to the next round. However I think the French will just have enough to win. An intriguing match indeed.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Fire power yes, pace no...don't see Germany been troubled at all by France.

Really? Valbuena? Griezmann?