Xbox One external hard drive question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
Forum Member
✭✭
I need an external hard drive for my X1, will this one work OK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BP5RL10/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_N.kVtb1G7E0Y9DDM

Cheers

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I have the same one hooked up to my xbox one right now and it works fine.

Iv'e been told before that seagate have a much higher failure rate than other brands, but i'm still very happy with my purchase

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2014/01/backblaze-long-term-hdd-survival-rate-brand-100226260-orig.jpg

Edit: i have the 2tb one of the link you have posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers.

I've ordered it.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this but I have a couple of questions.

Because it's external can you just add one later after your console is set up?

Can you move installs on it later after playing them.

How much space have people filled if there had from launch, so loss of games.

Is the internal HDD faster?
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The external storage update was added in June so you can now add a drive at will as long as it's USB 3.0.

A lot of early adopters are running out of space on the internal. I'm under 100Gb free space now. And with a lot of games coming out in the next few months the update was perfectly timed.

Was going to hook my ext drive up last week but never got around to it. But smcbeath reported a varying increase in speed with his.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, I'll no doubt get the same one posted by mgs4snakerulez.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The external storage update was added in June so you can now add a drive at will as long as it's USB 3.0.

A lot of early adopters are running out of space on the internal. I'm under 100Gb free space now. And with a lot of games coming out in the next few months the update was perfectly timed.

Was going to hook my ext drive up last week but never got around to it. But smcbeath reported a varying increase in speed with his.

I was an early buyer. I now have just over 87gb left. That's 2 or 3 games depending on download size.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought one of these a week or two ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ultra-Portable-Drive-Backup/dp/B00CSH19PI/

Decided on a portable rather than desktop drive to save space and a plug socket.

WD has a good rep, and my wife has been using WD drives for ages and never had any problems (she has absolutely ****loads of external storage because of her photography stuff).

The drive has had good reviews, plus I found this on YouTube showing it gives better load-times than the internal drive (even though it's 5400rpm rather than 7200rpm like you'd get on a desktop external drive):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4O6tcow5ZE
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Does the XB1 use the entire disk size? If it limits you to a certain amount then spending the extra for an uber large HDD would be a waste of time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Does the XB1 use the entire disk size? If it limits you to a certain amount then spending the extra for an uber large HDD would be a waste of time...

4TB per external hard drive is the limit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

I got a 3Tb drive so I'd have enough space to work with and not worry about running out anytime soon. At an average of 30Gb per game and mandatory installs a small HDD is worthless. The X1 and PS4 should have shipped with at least 1Tb internal. But really should have been 2Tb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you move the game install from internal to external if you've already installed it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you move the game install from internal to external if you've already installed it?

I haven't done it yet but is it not under settings somewhere?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Go to 'my games and apps' select desired game, press menu button and select 'manage game/app' then either select copy or move. Easy.

You can also select your desired hardrive of choice to be the default drive that all your installs go to.

Also, the limit is 16tb. I believe you can have two 8tb drives plugged in simultaneously.

16tb is enough space for over 600 full xbox one games (averaging at around 25gb per game)

I have 1.9tb of space left overall of 2.5tb but i already have a hell of a lot of games and apps. if i need more space I'll just purchase and hook up an additional drive.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I bought one of these a week or two ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ultra-Portable-Drive-Backup/dp/B00CSH19PI/

Decided on a portable rather than desktop drive to save space and a plug socket.

WD has a good rep, and my wife has been using WD drives for ages and never had any problems (she has absolutely ****loads of external storage because of her photography stuff).

The drive has had good reviews, plus I found this on YouTube showing it gives better load-times than the internal drive (even though it's 5400rpm rather than 7200rpm like you'd get on a desktop external drive):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4O6tcow5ZE

I have been using this drive since external drive support started and really like how quiet it is. If I have one small criticism it would be that I would have liked a slightly longer USB cable.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X1 and PS4 should have shipped with at least 1Tb internal. But really should have been 2Tb.
    That's just a ridiculous statement. At the moment the most commonly mass produced HDD capacity (and therefore the cheapest to source from a manufacturer's perspective) is 500GB (available since Summer 2008) and 2TB 2.5" SATA drives (especially in 9.5mm thickness) are relatively new on the market (available for about 8 months - November 2013) and they are the largest available which also makes them the most expensive to source.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I have been using this drive since external drive support started and really like how quiet it is. If I have one small criticism it would be that I would have liked a slightly longer USB cable.

Yeah, the cable is pretty short :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    That's just a ridiculous statement. At the moment the most commonly mass produced HDD capacity (and therefore the cheapest to source from a manufacturer's perspective) is 500GB (available since Summer 2008) and 2TB 2.5" SATA drives (especially in 9.5mm thickness) are relatively new on the market (available for about 8 months - November 2013) and they are the largest available which also makes them the most expensive to source.

So neither MS or Sony couldn't have waited a few months to launch?
    They knew the size of the new games and knew that installs were mandatory. They want you to save all your data, game clips, apps etc. Why ship the consoles with an inferior sized HDD? Especially MS where the OS of the X1 takes up over a third of the available space? Surely a 1Tb wouldn't have been a stretch even if they didn't want to wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So neither MS or Sony couldn't have waited a few months to launch?
    They knew the size of the new games and knew that installs were mandatory. They want you to save all your data, game clips, apps etc. Why ship the consoles with an inferior sized HDD? Especially MS where the OS of the X1 takes up over a third of the available space? Surely a 1Tb wouldn't have been a stretch even if they didn't want to wait.

That would have put the price even higher at launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would have put the price even higher at launch.

But we're all having to spend more anyway. A decent drive at a good size will set you back at least £100
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we're all having to spend more anyway.

Or delete and reinstall games are needed...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Or delete and reinstall games are needed...

That's a ball ache though. If you fancy a quick blast on a game you have to wait and in some cases wait and wait and wait.

We tend to choose convenience over work.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a ball ache though. If you fancy a quick blast on a game you have to wait and in some cases wait and wait and wait.

We tend to choose convenience over work.

I tend to play my games one at a time so its not that much hassle for me. I could live with 500GB for quite awhile especially with the lack of media capabilities which is something that clutters up my PS3 HDD at times.

My mate is still juggling content on an 80GB PS3 with PS+.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrived today. Plugged it in to my xbox one, formatted it and all working well so I'm happy :)