Blackberry 8520 Battery Life

ElectricWarriorElectricWarrior Posts: 258
Forum Member
My son has a Blackberry 8520 and despite buying a new battery, the phone doesn't seem to hold it's charge. Having been on charge overnight, it is running out of charge by mid afternoon having had the minimum of use (no web browsing).

He's done a factory reset which seems to improve things for a time before the problem returns.

Please could anyone point us in the right direction of what maybe to try next. The phone is just out of the warranty period.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try upgrading the software, in case it's a bug? (do a backup first, so you can restore contacts etc after).

Turn off wifi and bluetooth support when not in use.

Turn off, or make less frequent, any application refresh rates - eg facebook, twitter updates etc.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same phone and I charge it around about every 3 or 4 days...! it used to last about a week when i first got it though.

Try upgrading the software/operating system using the Blackberry Desktop Manager or over the air update. Also try turning down the brightness (I have mine set at 70% - bright enough to see clearly but not as battery draining as leaving it on 100%), also enable auto-dim and change the backlight timeout to something shorter (I have mine set to the minimum). Also, disable bluetooth and wifi using the connections menu, and only switch them on when necessary (I don't use wifi as I have mobile internet included in my price plan - if your son is paying for the internet included in his plan, then wifi is unnecessary and doesn't need to be enabled (although it is faster)).

Also if he's using any applications like Facebook or Twitter, set the 'auto-refresh' setting (or whatever they call it) to something like every 15 minutes or every half hour as opposed to every 5/10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
  • ElectricWarriorElectricWarrior Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies

I'll check with the lad and get him to implement your suggestions and see how it goes.