Help making elderberry jam please

.Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
Forum Member
We have one of these in our garden. It's called a Black Beauty elderberry bush.

The berries are ready to be picked and I'd like to make some jam. It's my first time making it and was wondering if anybody had some fool-proof recipes or recipes that you've tried and have really liked. Any tips would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Nice looking plant. :) You could try the River Cottage forums for advice.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I've picked them and destemmed them all today (took forever!) and have frozen them as all the recipes I can find seem to csall for pectin and I don't have any. Will buy some next time I go shopping and get making the jam.

I cut so many off and only ended up with just over a pound of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can buy sugar with added pectin in, i think its a tate and lyle one, my husband has recently made two batches of elderberry jam, and he says its lovely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    you can buy sugar with added pectin in, i think its a tate and lyle one,

It is the tate and lyle one, its called Jam Sugar and states added pectin.

An alternative is to add lemon juice as this is high in pectin
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    try this site
    http://elderberries.ning.com
    I also find this site goof for chutneys etc
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Apple is high in pectin too, so if you make elderberry and apple and use a glug of lemon to flavour, you won't need to buy any pectin.

Are elderberries quite seedy? They look like they might be. If so, make jelly instead of jam and throw in some whole ones at the end before you pot (I do this with rasps, works really well). A boiled tea towel or pillow case makes a great ad hoc jeely bag.

You could also make some jars suitable for savoury if you make jelly: just add a tsp of herbs or spices to the jars as they're sterilising (I've used ginger, sage, chilli's and cloves in the past with plum or apple jelly - turn the jars as they cool to get even distribution and make them look pretty!).
    Forum Member
    Specktater wrote: »
    Apple is high in pectin too, so if you make elderberry and apple and use a glug of lemon to flavour, you won't need to buy any pectin.

Are elderberries quite seedy? They look like they might be. If so, make jelly instead of jam and throw in some whole ones at the end before you pot (I do this with rasps, works really well). A boiled tea towel or pillow case makes a great ad hoc jeely bag.

You could also make some jars suitable for savoury if you make jelly: just add a tsp of herbs or spices to the jars as they're sterilising (I've used ginger, sage, chilli's and cloves in the past with plum or apple jelly - turn the jars as they cool to get even distribution and make them look pretty!).

They aren't seedy at all actually which was a pleasant surprise.

We picked some apples from an orchard the other day, would these be Ok to throw in? Also do I need a jelly bag if making jam?
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    They aren't seedy at all actually which was a pleasant surprise.

We picked some apples from an orchard the other day, would these be Ok to throw in? Also do I need a jelly bag if making jam?

Nope, just for jelly to strain out the pulp.

If you've got apples then I would just batter on - this recipe http://www.jam-recipes.co.uk/Tbl_Recipes_view.asp?editid1=156 looks good.

Tips: Have 2 saucers in the freezer for testing the setting point, that way you can swap between them.

Add a knob of butter to clear any scum.

If you're using jars with safety lids, they'll pop in as the jam's cooling.

If it looks like the pieces of fruit are going to all float to the top, turn the jars as they cool to distribute better.
    Forum Member
    Specktater wrote: »
    Nope, just for jelly to strain out the pulp.

If you've got apples then I would just batter on - this recipe http://www.jam-recipes.co.uk/Tbl_Recipes_view.asp?editid1=156 looks good.

Tips: Have 2 saucers in the freezer for testing the setting point, that way you can swap between them.

Add a knob of butter to clear any scum.

If you're using jars with safety lids, they'll pop in as the jam's cooling.

If it looks like the pieces of fruit are going to all float to the top, turn the jars as they cool to distribute better.

Ok, thanks for that. Is a pound of elderberries enough. There looked like there was loads but after all the picking it only came to a pound. How much room in the freezer am i going to need?
  • saffiewalkssaffiewalks Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is too late this year but the easiest way to strip elderberries is to put a wide tined fork on the stem and run it down towards the berries, pulls off the whole bunch in one go.
    Forum Member
    I know it is too late this year but the easiest way to strip elderberries is to put a wide tined fork on the stem and run it down towards the berries, pulls off the whole bunch in one go.

I did that, but little bit of stalk kept coming off too. i ended up just raking my finger through the bunch and they came off stem free! Worked a charm.
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks for that. Is a pound of elderberries enough. There looked like there was loads but after all the picking it only came to a pound. How much room in the freezer am i going to need?

Just room for a couple of wee saucers to drop spoonfuls of jam on, it's just to test for the setting point so if you have a jam thermometer you won't need to - don't need to freeze anything else.

ETA: A pound will be fine, you'll be adding 0.66lb of apple at that, which will produce approx 1.7lb of jam - so if you're using 225g ish jars that'll be about 3-4 jars.
    Forum Member
    Right I am making the jam today. Wish me luck.

When it talks about setting points what do I have to do?
    Forum Member
    Right I am making the jam today. Wish me luck.

When it talks about setting points what do I have to do?

Good luck - though it's probably too late, if so I hope it went well :)

Just in case you haven't started:

The setting point determines the consistency of your finished product. It's all to do with how long you boil it and what temp it reaches. Finish it early and you'll get syrup, leave it too long and you'll get toffee!

After your mix has been at a rolling boil for a few mins you start testing for the setting point. You test by taking out a teaspoon full and dropping it on a pre-frozen side plate - leave the drop for about 30secs or so then run your finger through it - if it crinkles up and leaves a clear trail behind then it's ready. If it just runs back together like water would, then it's not! This is not an exact method, and everyone likes a different consistency, so there is a bit of trial and error here.

Alternatively you can get a jam thermometer which will tell you exactly when it's ready.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but youre right ive done it already. I was surprised with how long it took to reach its setting point. It took almost half and hour! Its all jarred now and cooling. I dont like jam so will get the oh to try it when he opens it. Thanks for all the advice, i have a better idea of what im doing now.