Options

Authentic Jamaican chicken and rice recipe wanted

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking for the recipe stated in the title. I'd like something that's not Jerk chicken and with no coconut in it, beans are fine. I wanna cook it for my boyfriend who keeps nagging me about making the chicken his dad from Barbados could cook. Apparently his was very nice and I can't replicate a chicken and rice as good as his. I can't ask the man the recipe as he abandoned my boyfriend and he doesn't speak to him. I can cook a good jamaican style fried chicken but I was looking more for a stewed chicken recipe. Thanks in advance :).

Comments

• Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few if you look online - here's one that might be alright. There's no coconut in the stew, but it's in the rice.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/come-dine-with-me-recipes/series-10/jamaican-style-chicken-with-rice-and-peas-recipe
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,177
    Forum Member
    This is a very nice brown stew chicken recipe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFB1fkNhXs
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with following a recipe is that you'll never replicate the authenticity. They tend to cook by eye/taste, rather than doing anything rigidly.

The biggest tip I can give you is to always marinate for at least 2 hours when it comes to the chicken.

I couldn't necessarily give you quantities or anything, but when I do our curried chicken, I tend to wash the chicken with water, and pat it dry with a towel. I then rub the chicken with mixed spice, all spice, cumin, a curry powder, some dried chicken seasoning herbs I get from a Jamaican shop in London, and stick it in a bowl with some fresh herbs, some garlic, some onion, maybe some fresh peppers if I can be bothered, and leave it for two hours, this helps give it a good flavour I find.

I then fry off the chicken in some oil just to brown it, add some water or chicken stock, and then simmer it till the liquid reduces. At some point I tend to add some potatoes too, but I never really have a fixed time.

I was always very hit and miss with it, sometimes the family liked it, sometimes they didn't. I tried experimenting with different things, using coconut milk, or adding in some hot pepper sauce, or a scotch bonnet pepper or whatever. My nan liked to use lemon juice when she was washing the chicken, but I can't be bothered with all that.