Natalie's support

IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
Forum Member
✭✭
I keep reading that Natalie is unpopular with the public and that she's constantly topped the leader board in order to keep her safe - yet last night when her position was joint 3rd she survived.

Another myth shattered.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was going to be another wardrobe related thread........
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She only had to outpoll Ashley (who was probably very low in the public vote) tonight to get out of the dance-off, and that's the only indication we've had of her support all series.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    I keep reading that Natalie is unpopular with the public and that she's constantly topped the leader board in order to keep her safe - yet last night when her position was joint 3rd she survived.

Another myth shattered.

I think she's more popular than some people give her credit for. I suspect some people like to think she has no popular support as if she does then she's really a threat to their favourite.

It's hard to judge exactly where any contestant is - unless the results fall in such a way that we can determine public vote based on dance off contestants though. I think that hasn't happened so much this series but we can say that on last night's vote Ashley was less popular than Natalie, Susanna, and Sophie. If he had rated higher than any of them he would have been in the dance off.

I also think it's more likely that Patrick & Abbey are struggling a bit in the popular vote...
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also think it's more likely that Patrick & Abbey are struggling a bit in the popular vote...
    Bottom two remaining in this poll which has Natalie a strong third:
    http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/strictly-come-dancing/168007-strictly-come-dancing-2013-sophie-ellis-bextor-back-as-tellymix-favourite.html
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Someone on the Nat appreciation thread claimed voting 110 times.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1887668&page=94

Towards the bottom.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

Towards the bottom.

I am sure this will get balanced out by equally strong voting for others. It has always been like this.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Towards the bottom.

Blummin' hell
    (Not quite fair to the poster to link to it though? :o We all do foolish things -- not so much now voting is freeeeeeeee)
  • ilovesootyilovesooty Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being dense? I thought all tonight told us was that Susanna is more popular than Ashley. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Towards the bottom.

Irrelevant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ilovesooty wrote: »
    Am I being dense? I thought all tonight told us was that Susanna is more popular than Ashley. :confused:

If Ashley had beaten Sophie or Natalie in the public votes he would not have been in the dance-off since public vote takes precedence in ties.
  • ilovesootyilovesooty Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malik24 wrote: »
    If Ashley had beaten Sophie or Natalie in the public votes he would not have been in the dance-off since public vote takes precedence in ties.

Thanks - I'd forgotten that.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Natalie is pretty popular with the public.

Plenty of people will just vote for their favourite couple or the dance they enjoyed the most on the night - and Natalie nearly always gives an amazing performance.

She's got the judges' approval and maybe the reality is when it comes to voting a lot of viewers are not guided by the judges scores. The judges are not really marking her down when Artem choreographs routines that 'bend' the rules, so Natalie always finishes at the top or near the top of the leader board.

It would have been an interesting DO between Natalie & Artem and Abbey & Aljaz. What would the judges have done then?

Unless Natalie is in the DO we won't know how popular she is with the viewers before the final.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Irrelevant.

How so? Even allowing 5 votes per person that implies 22 people voted for her instead of 110, just proves the support is not firm.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malik24 wrote: »

That only applies when the judges' votes tie the couple as far as I am aware though? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That only applies when the judges' votes tie the couple as far as I am aware though? :confused:

From the main website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006m8dq/features/about)

Once the judges' scores and viewer’s votes have been combined, if there is a tie between any couples, then the couple in the tie with the highest number of viewer votes will be deemed to be ahead on the leaderboard.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was somewhat (maybe pleasantly, I couldn't say) surprised that she beat Ashley. I think I underestimated her appeal, although I still don't see her realistically challenging for anything other than a podium spot somewhere below gold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How so? Even allowing 5 votes per person that implies 22 people voted for her instead of 110, just proves the support is not firm.

Tried the multiple voting thing last year, gut feeling it made no difference. Alright,I'm guessing but I would discount the freaky multiple voters as being representative of anything.
  • karina_karina_ Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I was somewhat (maybe pleasantly, I couldn't say) surprised that she beat Ashley. I think I underestimated her appeal, although I still don't see her realistically challenging for anything other than a podium spot somewhere below gold.

I wasn't surprised really, you have to factor in Artem, I think he is the main appeal.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karina_ wrote: »
    I wasn't surprised really, you have to factor in Artem, I think he is the main appeal.

I'm still not convinced that anyone votes for the pro over the celeb (or at least, not enough to make a difference).
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karina_ wrote: »

All the Pro's have their own fanbase and followers:confused:Natalie is popular in her own right among soap fans of Corrie but she may well fall in the final due to the anyone but her vote, as for the next two weeks well I guess it will come down to the judges and where on the leader board they decide to put her.;)
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that anyone votes for the pro over the celeb (or at least, not enough to make a difference).

With this 5 votes thing, I've given a vote for Ola each week - couldn't give a stuff about how Ashley does - she's my favourite and that's that. Although I also give two votes to whoever I felt did best, so technically I even myself out.

Reading the forum, I'm not the only one - and it's not beyond the realms of imagination that the other pros have similar supporters whoever they're paired with...
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »

I dont think it makes a difference either though some people find it unpalatable to even consider she may be liked;)My top pro is Brendon and I wish him well but I have not voted for him because I vote for the celeb which this year is Natalie.:)
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's more popular than some people give her credit for. I suspect some people like to think she has no popular support as if she does then she's really a threat to their favourite.

It's hard to judge exactly where any contestant is - unless the results fall in such a way that we can determine public vote based on dance off contestants though. I think that hasn't happened so much this series but we can say that on last night's vote Ashley was less popular than Natalie, Susanna, and Sophie. If he had rated higher than any of them he would have been in the dance off.

I agree with this. I think Natalie is coping ok with the vote. Sophie & Susanna have both had their vote tested more than once.

Abbey & Patrick could both have been bottom of the vote this week & still avoid the dance off.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume the longer a pro has been on the show, the bigger the fan base they have, so the more votes are cast for them - no matter who the celeb is or how good their performance was that week. If the pro is easy on the eye, then more votes will come their way.

The real problem is that we have no idea how many votes are cast, so we can only guess about how important each possible reason for voting for a couple is - nothing new there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I'm sure everyone votes for different reasons. I vote purely on the celebrity I enjoy the most. Usually they are not the best technically but the ones who have little previous experience and who in some way stand out for me.

My favourite pro is Pasha but he and Rachel didn't get a vote because I didn't enjoy her dancing or performance. I think Natalie has more supporters than many think but not enough to win.